Crib bumper

Options
anahdz1306
anahdz1306 Posts: 23 Member
I'm starting to sleep my almost 7 month old in her crib. I had taken off the bumper but then she turns and hits her head so I out it back on. Are they safe? Anyone else have it on?

Replies

• ramsx1991
    ramsx1991 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    My 12 month still sleeps with me, but I would imagine then are safe now. I think once they can turn their head it would be fine!
  • anahdz1306
    Options
    I hope they are. I really want her to sleep on their because she really hasn't . Also my bed is right next to her crib. I might just take it off tomorrow. I guess I'll be sleeping with one eye open tonight
  • BeckyJill7
    BeckyJill7 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I used one up until my little one starting trying to use it climb out of the crib... As long as you have it installed properly, I think they're fine.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I don't trust them, but that's just me... When my older son was able to move around and get his legs stuck, I got a mesh one. This baby really hasn't had a major problem with getting his limbs stuck, I'm not sure why. The mesh one also collapses if baby tries to stand on it, so they can't use it as a step-stool for climbing out of the crib. My older son never tried to climb out, and I'm hoping I luck out this time, too, but it's good to know the bumper won't be any help.

This is the one I bought:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013FGWD0/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • kozlow27
    kozlow27 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I don't trust them either. I just read a story about a baby dying of SIDS and the crib had bumpers on it. Remember, the baby doesn't have to squish their face against the bumper to cause concern; you also have to think about the bumper reducing air flow in the crib which is a factor believed to contribute to SIDS deaths.
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I never used a crib bumper. I don't trust them, either.

My son bumped his head a few times, but eventually he figured out that he doesn't like banging his head on the crib, and he stays away from the edges now.

I think the mesh bumper is a good alternative - especially if your little one gets their arms and legs stuck between the bars!
  • FitMama2013
    FitMama2013 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    mesh bumper here with no issues!
  • awolf2011
    awolf2011 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I used a bumper in the crib with my first 3 boys and they were just fine. With my youngest, he tends to hit his head and get his arms and legs stuck on the outside of the crib and wakes up screaming bloody murder!! I just ordered him a bumper to match his room. I think the mesh ones are worthless, only my opinion. He hit his head so hard a couple weeks ago that he got a bruise. They only help with extremities outside the crib, doesn't help with baby hurting their heads. If crib bumpers were really that unsafe they would have stopped making them by now. Again, just my opinion.
  • anahdz1306
    Options
    Thank you ladies! I've actually let my baby sleep in there with the bumper on. I've made sure it's not loose and so far great. Now my concern is blankets : (
  • awolf2011
    awolf2011 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    In regards to blankets, I just put a light-weight receiving blanket on my little guy and tuck it under his armpits. I never put it up by his face. It usually stays put even though he moves around a lot and usually does a 360 degree turn in his crib.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Thank you ladies! I've actually let my baby sleep in there with the bumper on. I've made sure it's not loose and so far great. Now my concern is blankets : (

Blankets are generally not recommended. You can usually put your baby in pajamas that are warm enough so that a blanket is not necessary.

You can also put your baby in pajamas plus a sleep sack like this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001PGKPNK/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1394127574&sr=1-1
  • carstekj
    carstekj Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    We used a mesh/breathable bumper for both kids. They are widely available and have seen them at Target, Walmart and Babies R Us. In regards to the blankets, we used Halo Sleep Sacks for both kids as well. I love them!! They provide warmth without the worry of loose blankets. We actually got one from the hospital after I delivered, but they are also available at Target and Babies r Us. We have 2 right now, and just rotate between them, one is lighter and the other is a heavy fleece.

http://www.halosleep.com/sleepsack/
  • her4g63
    her4g63 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I must be one of the only mommas here that "goes against" the rules in regards to this. I use a regular crib bumper and big old fleece blankets and did for my firstborn too. They are both just fine. I guess I just don't overwhelm myself with all this "unsafe" stuff that is CONSTANTLY floating around. It would drive me mad if I did.

ETA: I'm not saying I do "unsafe" things for my children because I certainly don't; however, it just seems like EVERYTHING is unsafe these days.
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I must be one of the only mommas here that "goes against" the rules in regards to this. I use a regular crib bumper and big old fleece blankets and did for my firstborn too. They are both just fine. I guess I just don't overwhelm myself with all this "unsafe" stuff that is CONSTANTLY floating around. It would drive me mad if I did.

ETA: I'm not saying I do "unsafe" things for my children because I certainly don't; however, it just seems like EVERYTHING is unsafe these days.

Thankfully we're not alone in our rule-breaking! We also use bumpers, and a blanket pulled up to/tucked in at her armpits. I also don't plan on baby-proofing the house...just putting "dangerous" stuff up high and blocking the stairs. Sometimes I feel like a "bad parent" when I don't follow all the rules, but our pediatrician admits he didn't do much either. At one point I was debating how much "safety" stuff I wanted to do and I talked to my cousin who is a research manager at the American Academy of Pediatrics and I was relieved to see they don't actually recommend much other than common sense.
  • spunkychelsea
    spunkychelsea Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    We used mesh bumpers and sleep sacks - usually just the carters sleep sacks and still do with our 14 month old. THye have a way of getting limbs stuck in the crib rails otherwise. The only rule we broke was letting our son sleep on his stomach because he wouldn't sleep much otherwise. Our daughter spent the first 3-4 months sleeping in the car seat on her doctor's recommendation due to the horrible amount of spitting up. Wish we would have known that with my son (1st baby) we stomach slept him so he would just spew all over the crib instead. We were concerned about SIDS, but he wouldn't sleep otherwise and figured that's how our parents put us to sleep.