Protein Drinks?

Options
PRMinx
PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
Hey fellow CrossFitters!

Do you any of you do the whole protein drink thing? I'm thinking about giving it a shot.

What kinds do you like? How do you mix it? Do you drink it before or after working out?

Replies

• RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    I have some kind of powdered protein almost every day. I typically use chocolate flavored Dymatize Iso-100. It's a protein isolate which I've been led to believe is best consumed after a workout, but I'm certain I'm not at such a competitive level that it makes a huge difference for me. I've been known to mix the Iso-100 with vanilla flavored GNC's Pro Amp. The flavor of mixing those two together is like a really delicious chocolate malt; though, of course, it's no replacement for an actual chocolate malt. So, I typically use one to two scoops just mixed with water almost right after I'm done working out. At first I did this because I heard/read that there was an optimum "window" in which to take protein after working out for muscular repair. I've recently read some things that make me think this might not necessarily be accurate for the level of fitness I have now. That is, those most likely to benefit from slamming protein post-workout are those that compete on a professional level. I need to do more research about that or perhaps someone could set me straight.

Anyway, I still have protein relatively soon after working out, except my main reasoning at this point is simply because I'm hangry and it helps with the rage. :tongue: Also, seriously helps me hit my protein goals for the day.
  • PRMinx
    Options
    Thanks Riven!

I'll try your combo plan - sounds delicious actually. I'm having a hard time hitting my protein goals too (40% protein), so I think this is the answer. And I can drink it in the car on the way to work...
  • RivenV
    Options
    Anytime! When I go to the gym in the morning before work, I'll put powder in a blender bottle at home and then just add water from a fountain on my way out of the gym. Gainz all the way to work.
  • PRMinx
    Options
    If you are mixing the two, do you use 1 scoop of each?
  • madmags
    madmags Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I use Gnc Pro Performance Amp - Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60. I prefer chocolate if I am drinking it with water, but I use vanilla in fruit smoothies. I find that mixing with straight water it tastes a little odd, so I use 1/3 skim milk and it is really pretty good. If you are considering buying anything from GNC sign up for their gold buyer program. It costs a little to sign up, but you will probably make up the cost on your first purchase. Also talk to the guy behind the counter, they usually have gold days/weeks, where stuff is cheaper and they have buy 2 get one free. Find the window where the two overlap and you score.
  • RivenV
    Options
    That depends on what else I'm planning to eat or have already eaten that day. I try to make sure most of my meals and snacks have at least a little protein in them, but if it looks like I'm not going to get near my target (100g =< target =< 130g) then I'll adjust my protein powder until it looks appropriate.

I typically have a scoop of each on days when I go out to eat and have a carb-bomb of a dish. Like if I went out and had a plate of pasta and then had a pastry for dessert. I'd probably have a hard time getting enough protein on days like that unless I doubled up on protein powder after my workout.

I usually just have 1 scoop total (1/2 scoop vanilla, 1/2 scoop chocolate), but I've also tossed in 1/2 scoop vanilla in with a whole scoop of chocolate (again on days where I'm not getting enough protein elsewhere). I find that as long as there's at least as much chocolate or more as there is vanilla, I'm pleased with the results.
  • PRMinx
    Options
    Ok. Thank you both for the good tips. I went ahead and ordered both on Amazon, but now that I know about the GNC deals in store, Ill do that in the future (if I like).
  • RivenV
    Options
    I use Gnc Pro Performance Amp - Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60. I prefer chocolate if I am drinking it with water, but I use vanilla in fruit smoothies. I find that mixing with straight water it tastes a little odd, so I use 1/3 skim milk and it is really pretty good. If you are considering buying anything from GNC sign up for their gold buyer program. It costs a little to sign up, but you will probably make up the cost on your first purchase. Also talk to the guy behind the counter, they usually have gold days/weeks, where stuff is cheaper and they have buy 2 get one free. Find the window where the two overlap and you score.

I was just thinking about that--sometimes when you mix protein with just water, it tastes odd. I haven't tried the Pro Amp chocolate, but mixing the Pro Amp vanilla with water is... not something I'd like to repeat. Lol. I think most vanilla proteins will be better mixed with milk, anyway. However, I can say that I prefer the chocolate Iso-100 I use with water over milk--it's got a much darker chocolate kind of taste when it's mixed with water.

It's not a bad idea to find some you like mixed with milk/fruit juices for when you're at home and feeling indulgent. But I would also recommend finding one that you think is pretty good all on its own with just water for those days when you can't be bothered.
  • Maggie_Pie1
    Maggie_Pie1 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I'm working on losing weight, but I'll do a protein shake after crossfit (which usually ends up being my breakfast) and if I don't have time to make something for lunch, I'll substitute a protein shake then as well.

I use Progenix Recovery or More Muscle, and I'll mix it with unsweetened coconut milk or almond milk, and I usually add a tablespoon of chia seeds and a tablespoon of flax oil to the shaker, too - Some good fats and fiber.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I've started using Progenex Recovery post-workout. I noticed a real difference in my recovery from the competition I just did. I was expecting to be stiff as a board the next day, but I was just "normal" sore and did a WOD two days after the comp with no problem.

So far so good. I use that as well as Isopure Low Carb. It dissolves very easily in water so no clumps and two scoops is 50g of protein.
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian and eat a tonne of tofu and mycoprotein already and still can't get to my target so yeah I supplement with protein shakes. Just make sure the protein to carb ratio is OK.
  • PRMinx
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm excited to give it a shot.
  • jordymils
    jordymils Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian and eat a tonne of tofu and mycoprotein already and still can't get to my target so yeah I supplement with protein shakes. Just make sure the protein to carb ratio is OK.

I'm in the same boat - vegetarian and eat eggs, greek yoghurt, tofu, veg proteins, etc but would never meet my target without my pea/rice protein powder.
    BUT when people say to check the protein to carb ratio, this will depend on when you're using the shake. Simple carbs are actually more important post workout than protein. Simple carbs are needed to replenish glycogen stores in your muscles more than protein is needed for muscle repair. Post workout I have 250ml fruit juice (no added sugar, etc) before I have my protein shake, and if I'm not going to be eating a meal within an hour or so I'll also have a muesli bar. That way I end up getting around 50g carbs and 24g protein - the general recommendation for carb to protein ratio is 2:1.
    You can get shakes that have all of the right simple carbs added but I sometimes have a shake for breakfast so prefer to use a pure protein powder and add my own carbs where necessary...
  • elvis67
    elvis67 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    What jordymills stated is very true. You want to consider how you plan to use the protein supplement, post-workout or as a means to just get more protein in your diet. If it’s post work-out carbs are important. If that is where you intend to use a protein drink you might want to look at Optimum Nutrition 2:1:1 Recovery. It’s a protein/carb supplement specifically designed for that purpose. If you are looking to just supplement your protein intake then there are plenty of options. Just something to consider, which may or may not be applicable to you. Since you posted this in a Crossfit group I don’t know if you follow a paleo diet. If so keep in mind that most proteins out there are whey or whey/casein blends, which are milk based. If you are doing paleo you might want to check out MHP Paleo Protein which is beef and egg white protein.
  • alysa521
    alysa521 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I try and keep mostly Paleo since dairy and I don't really agree with each other. Stronger faster healthier is the only protein I have found that doesn't make my stomach hurt. I use it both with water and in smoothies to add protein on the go when I can eat a full meal or won't be home right after working out. I like that it's made from grass-fed whey and is sweetened with stevia instead of sucralose which seems to agree with me better. Since it's got sweetener its not perfectly Paleo but close enough for me, the only downside it's pricier than Optimimum Nutrition or some of ther others I have tried in the past.
  • PRMinx
    Options
    This is a means to get more protein. I"m trying to hit 40% protein, 30% carb, 30% fat. It's been extremely difficult.

Even if I have a protein bar for breakfast, a protein with my salad and protein with dinner, I still can't hit my goals. For example, today I had a quest bar, shrimp on my salad, chicken for dinner and peanut butter and apple snack. I'm not where near where I should be protein wise even with all of those things.

Granted, I ate some chocolate today which wasn't the best allocation of calories. A girl's gotta indulge! But yesterday I had the same problem. And I was too stuffed after dinner to eat more.

That's why I think a shake in the morning and Quest bar for a snack (I like to chew) will help.
  • madmags
    madmags Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I find when using chocolate whey bolic, with 2/3 water adn 1/3 milk it tastes a lot like a yoohoo. But I agree, the vanilla in water is not very appealing, I dont care for vanilla unless I am adding fruit.
  • kevie1021
    kevie1021 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I'm with Riven. I use Dymatize Iso-100 Whey Protein, and I take it post workout with water. Tastes fine enough for me that I don't need milk. If I'm at the end of the day and I have extra calories to use up, I will take come Caesin (sp) Protein too. That's supposed to help overnight with muscle building and recovery. The texture can be a little tough to deal with sometimes, but if you mix it well enough it's alright.
  • MDLNH
    MDLNH Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I am currently using "Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein" (Double-Chocolate) for my protein shake. It has been easy on my stomach for my early morning workouts and is also great for pre and post WODs. However, I have been recently thinking of trying something new to aide in my recovery.

*I also like to use Almond Breeze Milk (Unsweetened) instead of water or skim-milk. It's only 30 calories per cup and gives my protein shake a nice little flavor boost and non-watery consistency.
  • songbirdtree
    Options
    I drink half a scoop of pre-workout mix with cold water before the WOD and half a scoop of protein mix with cold water after the WOD. I've read that eating protein like fish or meat can take up to 5 hours to be properly absorbed, but that protein mixes have much quicker absorption rates which speed up muscle recovery and reduce soreness. Progenex is my favorite but it's expensive so right now I'm on Marked Whey Protein.