Hey

tinileak
tinileak Posts: 2 Member
Good to see a group on here for IIH. I was diagnosed last week after doctors thinking that I had viral meningitis. CT scan, MRI an a lumbar puncture later and I was told I had Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension. I have been prescribed 500mg diamox per day, the pins and needles in the hands definitely took a few days to get used too! And the joint and muscle ache is unreal! Any one else had this? I joined my fitness pal to help me lose weight, I am currently 15 stone Nd have been told I need to get down to 11 stone as this is my healthy zone. Doesn't help that I just had ankle ligament reconstruction done a month ago and I am in a cast till end of March ???? loving this app so far it has been great! Would love to hear from you guys about your experience with IIH and weight loss, thanks ???? Christina xox

Replies

• Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    Good to see a group on here for IIH. I was diagnosed last week after doctors thinking that I had viral meningitis. CT scan, MRI an a lumbar puncture later and I was told I had Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension. I have been prescribed 500mg diamox per day, the pins and needles in the hands definitely took a few days to get used too! And the joint and muscle ache is unreal! Any one else had this? I joined my fitness pal to help me lose weight, I am currently 15 stone Nd have been told I need to get down to 11 stone as this is my healthy zone. Doesn't help that I just had ankle ligament reconstruction done a month ago and I am in a cast till end of March ???? loving this app so far it has been great! Would love to hear from you guys about your experience with IIH and weight loss, thanks ???? Christina xox

Diamox: for some folks it just takes a little time to get used to it. For others, drinking TONS of water seems to help (we're talking 10-12 glasses/day). For others it never does get better and it's just not a good solution (I'm in that last group).

For me, the biggest challenge with IIH has been that I can't do most of my favorite workouts. Swimming leaves me with a week-long headache. There's a bunch of stuff in the gym that does the same thing. So my weight skyrocketed, since I've always been active and it took me a while to understand/admit that I've got some real limitations now.

That said, once I really wrapped my head around that, and looked for workarounds, the weight started coming off. This nice (though long) article helped me feel much better about leaning heavily on diet to reduce weight, rather than my old approach of working out more.
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/training-the-obese-beginner.html

IIH sucks, but 80% of cases resolve with a low BMI. Tbh, I'm really counting on that! Delighted to hear that Diamox is working for you, and wishing you all success!