Winter running outside: stomach gets really cold

Options
sjp_511
sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
Does anyone have this problem? Both my husband and I are runners. During the week we tend to run either at an indoor track or on a treadmill due to the lack of daylight hours. But we do our best to get a long run in outside on the weekends. We both have problems with our stomachs getting cold. I tolerate it and it isn't too bad, just cold. It is worse for my husband - the skin on his stomach (around the belly button) gets red and stays red for upwards of an hour after the run - even after a warm shower. He describes it as painful. We both wear enough layers to keep the rest of our torso warm. What causes this and how do we prevent it?

Replies

• SillyC2
    SillyC2 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Oh! Oh! I know the answer! I know the answer!

Tuck your base layer(s) into your pants to keep the wind from going up. I have a size larger base layer for the brutal cold just so I can get it fully in the tights.

I get pretty wicked muffin-top chafing if I don't do this. :)

Also, when it's below zero, I'll slather aquaphor on my muffin top before going running. That helps.
  • HornedFrogPride
    HornedFrogPride Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Do you wear UnderArmour ColdGear for cold weather as the bottom layer? That helps me. The ColdGear traps a little more heat so it doesn't all escape. That plus layering. Also, if you wear a HRM, make sure you're using warm water (instead of cold) when you prepare the HRM. HRM keeps you slightly warmer than running w/o one.
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Skin tight base layers are worn and tucked in. I have problems with it coming untucked as I move but not my husband.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I tuck in my layers. It was -12 yesterday, and I wore thermo tights with LS tech tucked in, then thermo warmups with my fleece tucked into those, then a windbreaker over that, and I stayed nice and toasty.
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    See I have a problem with my butt freezing to death (the part of of me, not how we colloquially refer to our entire person)

I wear a pair of short biking shorts underneath my fleece lined running pants. It has helped out tremendously.

I am a whiner, I HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATE to be cold!!!!!! :grumble:
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    yes tuck your shirt in!!

I found amazing UA inferred cold gear tight and shirt. They are very warm to wear.
  • mlogantra76
    mlogantra76 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Thanks for asking this question! This same thing happened to me on my long run last weekend. I do wear Underarmour Cold Gear but I think I need to tuck it into my tights.
    thanks!