Calorie expenditure decreasing?

Options
jsantus
jsantus Posts: 53 Member
So I am most of the way through week 4 and I am noticing that I am burning less calories in each workout over time. For example I had CVX today and I burnt 516 calories according to my HRM. Last week I burnt 549 calories on this same workout. Of course, I don't expect to burn the exact same amount every time, but I have noticed that it's always less & less the more I do each workout.
My question is: Is this a result of...
A) Getting more fit and using less energy to perform the same moves?
B) More efficiency because I now know how to perform the moves? or
C) Am I dogging it?

I hope it's not C, I don't feel like I'm slacking. At the same time, I don't want to lie to myself . Have any of you noticed this trend in your workouts?
-John

Replies

• groundhawg
    groundhawg Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I feel like 40 calories really isn't much of a decrease. I mean, that could just be fluctuation in the connection between your HRM and your skin, and missing a few beats I would think. You notice this decrease consistently over multiple weeks?
  • Devasation
    Devasation Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I would guess it's a combination of A and B. (Increase in both efficiency and fitness).

I'm sure you're not dogging it at all, just gotta up the intensity a little. Go for one, two more reps than the week before, do your best to focus on form. For me, it's always a great challenge trying to maintain good form and a high intensity level.

I've experienced what you're going through during all my rounds of beachbody programs, especially with the cardio based workouts (Insanity, P90X plyometrics).

Keep bringing it. You're making progress.
  • jsantus
    jsantus Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. I guess I just wanted to make sure I wasn't getting complacent. When I did P90X before I had a horrible HRM and couldn't keep track this close. Having a decent one now, I like to use it to make sure I'm consistantly working hard. Sometimes I can feel like I'm dying, but the HRM says otherwise, so I know I don't need to take a breather at that time.

BTW I start Block 2 today. . . Can't wait, Eccentric Upper, here I come!