Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Hay Prices in Your Area?

Aprilsdanes
Aprilsdanes Posts: 17 Member
Hey everyone! This is just out of curiosity and will most likely make me jealous more than anything...

I'm from central CA and our hay prices our skyrocketing! We have high enough prices anyways, but with the drought we've been in, they are only getting worse. We usually buy our hay (alfalfa/grass) by the block or squeeze, which runs us about $1200 delivery included. However, it's darn near impossible to find one under $2200 right now.

Rumor at the feed store is that alfalfa will be getting up to or over $20 per bale in a few months. It's already at $18. Right now we are plugging by with forage, which is going for a little under $16...

It really scares me that I may have to get rid of one of my guys. They are like family to me. Plus possibly selling WHILE prices are so high, you would wonder if the new home would be able to feed them properly, too.

So what are you guys paying? Has the wet weather in the east had any impact? How often do your prices fluctuate?

Thanks! =)

Replies

• AnnaZimm70
    AnnaZimm70 Posts: 218 Member
    Damn, that sucks. I paid $9.50 per bale for hay (not alfalfa, but nice quality) brought down from Canada by my local hay guy. He apologized that the price was "so high" as when I buy from his crop during the summer I paid $8.00 per bale. In both cases, the price included delivery (he even puts it up in the barn for me while I am at work :-) I'm in NH, so getting Canadian hay isn't too long a haul.
  • foxyninja398
    foxyninja398 Posts: 38 Member
    I live in SW Michigan and we paid an average of $5 a bale for good quality alfalfa mix this year. Hopefully this summer will be a little kinder than the last two and the farmers won't lose as many cuttings.
  • CulturedCowgurl
    CulturedCowgurl Posts: 136 Member
    I'm here in NC and the HUGE BALES run $30 and the small ones go for $8-10. Your prices are EXTRA STEEEP!! I would Cry.
  • Link2Life
    Link2Life Posts: 102 Member
    Wisconsin here - if you have a good ol farmer supplier you'll pay about $5/bale but most folks are in that $6 range.

It's about how much a gallon propane is going to cost me right now, too.
  • Okapi42
    Okapi42 Posts: 495 Member
    Fortunately, haylage is included in the livery price at my current yard, but who knows how much longer. It's been the wettest January on record (since 1790) so nothing is growing...
  • galvestongal
    galvestongal Posts: 186 Member
    $8 dollars a square bale for grass hay. $65 - $100 for a round bale. I liked it better when it was $5 and $40. Things are getting tight, thats for sure.
  • Aprilsdanes
    I had to send one of my guys on an indefinite feed lease yesterday. I'm devastated. I've been a bawl bag for 2 days.

But, it's a really nice lady that just put down a 33 year old Appy and she loves her horses as much as I do.

18.50 we just paid for a bale of alfalfa. Insane.
  • lknorthstar
    lknorthstar Posts: 132 Member
    Hey everyone! This is just out of curiosity and will most likely make me jealous more than anything...

I'm from central CA and our hay prices our skyrocketing! We have high enough prices anyways, but with the drought we've been in, they are only getting worse. We usually buy our hay (alfalfa/grass) by the block or squeeze, which runs us about $1200 delivery included. However, it's darn near impossible to find one under $2200 right now.

Rumor at the feed store is that alfalfa will be getting up to or over $20 per bale in a few months. It's already at $18. Right now we are plugging by with forage, which is going for a little under $16...

It really scares me that I may have to get rid of one of my guys. They are like family to me. Plus possibly selling WHILE prices are so high, you would wonder if the new home would be able to feed them properly, too.

So what are you guys paying? Has the wet weather in the east had any impact? How often do your prices fluctuate?

Thanks! =)

I am not sure what a block and a squeeze are, how much do those weight? My husband and I (mainly my husband :wink: ) bales all the hay we need for our horses and cattle. We sell most of the alfalfa and the grass hay that isn't as nice since we only feed alfalfa during calving and when my girls foal and we keep the really nice grass to feed the rest of the time!

Last week our prices is Southwest Minnesota were:

Alfalfa: Per ton
    Small Squares: $150.00 - $155.00
    Round Bales: $130.00 - $170.00

Grass: Per ton
    Small Squares: $105.00 - $150.00
    Round Bales: $50.00 - $145.00
    Big Squares: $130.00

Mixed Hay: Per ton
    Small Squares: $185.00
    Round Bales: $75.00 - $155.00

PS love your appaloosa! I raise Appaloosas, sent a Leopard stud colt to California a few years back. So sorry to hear you are having hay problems! Hope it gets better soon!
  • Aprilsdanes
    ^ Thanks on my Appy! =)

A squeeze can have anywhere from 72-92, 110-120 pound bales. I've called all the hay people I know and they either won't have any til mid summer or have OUTRAGEOUS prices. So we've been nickel and diming it at the feed store.

Luckily I found some people with 40 acres to mow down, so 4 went there and 4 are here at home. That helps!