Calories burned per heart rate monitor

I finally got a heart rate monitor to use with my Garmin watch and went to Body Pump this morning wearing it. I was super disappointed when it told me after that I had only burned 201 calories! I was estimating that at 350 for 60 minutes based on Internet info. Has anyone else noticed such a drop in calories burned when using a heart rate monitor as opposed to estimates? Bummer.

Replies

• davidraber9
    davidraber9 Posts: 5 Member
    Cari,
    I wouldn't get too concerned about it. I don't use a monitor for Body Pump, but when I use it in spin, and then put the generic info into myfitnesspal.com, MFP, always seems to short me, based on the actual readout from the unit. HOWEVER, the unit on the spin bike doesn't know anything about me, so it can't be but so accurate.

Point is, you're likely not getting the full credit base on your heart rate. Use the actual Les Mills info that's in the cardio section. (that's my opinion). Besides, we all get too hung up on calorie burn, including me. So many benefits to strength training, muscle fatigue, etc. Carry on. You're doing great.

FYI: http://www.wired.com/playbook/2012/08/fitness-trackers/

Dave
  • While I do think 200 calories sounds low, it is calculating based off heart rate alone and not necessarily work performed. Weight lifting changes your physique regardless of calories burned during the workout. Stick with it!