"Slightly" Older Runners

Options
2»

Replies

• HappyRunner34
    HappyRunner34 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I guess I am "much" rather than "slightly."

Ran my first full marathon at age 60. Also soloed for my private pilot's license that year. 69 now and running halves regularly.

Nonsense! You're proving that age is just a number....you rock! Thanks for posting!
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options

Ran my first full marathon at age 60. Also soloed for my private pilot's license that year. 69 now and running halves regularly.
    I was just thinking how times have changed, if would have been so very rare for a person of 69 to be running regular half marathons fifty or more years ago, actually even forty or thirty years ago if the truth be known, but more and more people are staying so active later and later in life now, it is absolutely excellent.

This goes without saying regarding running your first full marathon at age 60 and solo-ing for your private pilot's licence.

Personally, I thank God that it is not expected in this day and age for a person to sit in the armchair with their knees covered by a fleece, watching TV all day and drinking tea when they reach the age of 50 and above, give me exercise and activity anytime.

I take my hat off to you and hope that I am still running when I get to 69 :flowerforyou:
  • HappyRunner34
    HappyRunner34 Posts: 394 Member
    Options

I was just thinking how times have changed, if would have been so very rare for a person of 69 to be running regular half marathons fifty or more years ago, actually even forty or thirty years ago if the truth be known, but more and more people are staying so active later and later in life now, it is absolutely excellent.

This goes without saying regarding running your first full marathon at age 60 and solo-ing for your private pilot's licence.

Personally, I thank God that it is not expected in this day and age for a person to sit in the armchair with their knees covered by a fleece, watching TV all day and drinking tea when they reach the age of 50 and above, give me exercise and activity anytime.

I take my hat off to you and hope that I am still running when I get to 69 :flowerforyou:
    [/quote

What she said!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Wow there's a whole lot of awesomeness going on in this thread.

I'm 45 so not too far behind you. I've only been running for 9 months. I started C25K in May, and plan to run my first half this summer. I run 3 days a week and I currently do my mid-week running on the stupid treadmill (I'm in Minnesota and while I'm okay with the cold I'm pretty wimpy about running in the dark on icy roads) but have been able to get outside on the weekends for my long runs, and once we have a little more daylight I'll get back outside again during the week. I also strength train 3x a week with a trainer, do Pilates once a week, do Yoga once a week, and make sure to get in some variety with cardio at the gym (rowing machine, elliptical, spin bike).
  • 58Rock
    58Rock Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    58 and running as much as I can. Love the trails and since early December I have completed 3 Half Marathons, a 25k, a 10-miler, and a couple of 10k. I have a very good year and have seem some imporovements. Training on all the hills where I live has helped quite a bit. Looking forward to a lot more runs!
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Love this thread! I started running about 2 years ago - currently training for marathon #4 & maybe a trail 50k in the nearish future too. Turning 40 this summer :-).
  • walterm852
    walterm852 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Hey Everyone, just started running again this past summer. 48 in April. Competing in the Pittsburgh marathon in May.

Little hamstring issue just about ready to run after a 2.5 week break. No biggie!
  • walterm852
    walterm852 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Its tough though! I'm getting to that point where if something isn't hurting, it aint working!

Good to hear, there is a balance to listening to your body and pushing yourself.

I had my "gate" checked two weeks ago, left side and foot were fine, and my right foot was way off (they are the same length). To correct I am doing work with a PT buddy but it was recommended I correct my cadence which will help with my overstride. Do any of you use a cadence app on an iphone? There is metronome and runner drummer, but wondered if any of you have tried. THANKS
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    My local running shoe store posted to facebook--a gentleman ran a 5K this past Saturday for his 89th birthday. Amazing!

Edit: He came in 6th in the over 80 men's age group!
  • perfectflightisbeingthere
    Options
    I'm 52 and got back into running about 9 months ago, after a near on 30 year layoff. I've been building up gradually, did a 5k last October and I'm running the Great North Run (1/2M) in September. Now looking for a few 5 and 10k races for a build up. The key for me was getting my feet checked. I stopped running in my 20s because of sore knees and didn't want it develop into something serious (received wisdom in those days was that distance running destroyed your knees - latest evidence I've read now says pretty much the opposite).

My daughter is a figure skater and had problems getting some of her edges when she first started, the usual trick of moving the blades slightly wasn't helping and she was referred to a podiatrist and eventually fitted with orthotics - turned out the problem was congenital and she got it from me! I now have my own orthotics too and its transformed my running, feels much easier and more efficent and so I'm enjoying it more. It took me about a year of walking ever increasing distances before I felt totally comfortable with them and got the urge to run, but I haven't looked back since. I've also dropped about 10kg over the same period, all related..... with the wonderful support of my MFP friends of course!

I'm still very slow compared to my 20s, but some pace is gradually coming back. My foot problems are quite specific (I also damaged my left foot in a RTA in my 20s and it never quite healed right so that has been adjusted for too), but perhaps as we get older it makes sense to get bio-mechanics checked from time to time and get the most of our running? Could be equally true at all ages of course!
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear all you needed was an orthotic!
    I'm 52 and got back into running about 9 months ago, after a near on 30 year layoff. I've been building up gradually, did a 5k last October and I'm running the Great North Run (1/2M) in September. Now looking for a few 5 and 10k races for a build up. The key for me was getting my feet checked. I stopped running in my 20s because of sore knees and didn't want it develop into something serious (received wisdom in those days was that distance running destroyed your knees - latest evidence I've read now says pretty much the opposite).

My daughter is a figure skater and had problems getting some of her edges when she first started, the usual trick of moving the blades slightly wasn't helping and she was referred to a podiatrist and eventually fitted with orthotics - turned out the problem was congenital and she got it from me! I now have my own orthotics too and its transformed my running, feels much easier and more efficent and so I'm enjoying it more. It took me about a year of walking ever increasing distances before I felt totally comfortable with them and got the urge to run, but I haven't looked back since. I've also dropped about 10kg over the same period, all related..... with the wonderful support of my MFP friends of course!

I'm still very slow compared to my 20s, but some pace is gradually coming back. My foot problems are quite specific (I also damaged my left foot in a RTA in my 20s and it never quite healed right so that has been adjusted for too), but perhaps as we get older it makes sense to get bio-mechanics checked from time to time and get the most of our running? Could be equally true at all ages of course!