Tricks to getting in enough fluid....newbie

Options
Hey all,
I just had my sleeve done on Tuesday 1/21/2014. I am finding it so difficult to get in enough liquid and protein. I am afraid of injuring myself or becoming dehydrated. I always feel full, even after a few sips of water. I also have been dealing with an enormous amount of gas from the surgery; I went home Thursday 10lbs heavier than the morning of the surgery! I know to walk, walk, walk, but I think the gas is contributing to that full feeling.

Any tips or tricks to getting in enough liquid? Thanks!

52092364.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Replies

• groisamomma
    Options
    Drink something with flavor, but hardly any calories such as Diet Snapple. Don't worry about the protein now-you're still recovering from surgery.
  • Shannie312
    Shannie312 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I don't really have answers but I am right there with you! My surgery was Wednesday and when I got home I was up 7 lbs. from when I went in. My IV fluids were going at a pretty good rate for 2 days so I kind of expected that. I have found some of my protein mixes are too sweet right now, will have to wait a while on those. Unjury and syntrax in the fruit flavors or unflavored mixed with diet fruit juice are tolerable. I will do a 4 oz. serving and it can sometimes take an hour or more to get in. I think yesterday I had a total of 52 gm protein (happy with that at this point) but my total fluid was only maybe 30 oz. (should be double that + more). I find that I get hiccups and burps after a few sips and I have to back off for a bit. I did try taking a sip each lap I walked around my living room/dining room/kitchen and I usually will do 10-20 laps at a time. It is hard right now to distinguish between full, gas, and discomfort from surgery. I know the walking is helping with the gas. It makes it hard when you're really not thirsty and nothing tastes very good. I think I just have to always have something next to me sipping...a full time job :) ! Good luck to you!
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Try some G2 or other low\no calorie flavored water with electrolytes. Ditto what others have said. Protein is important, get there as soon as you can, but fluids are MOST important the first week. Also, try bagging the milk based shakes in favor of a water mix product like Syntrax Nectar. It's much easier to get down especially early on. I sucked on their Iced Tea all day for the first month.
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Try to get both in one shot. Isopure clear protein drinks - 40g protein in 20oz of liquid. There are a few flavors to try, you should find at least one you like. Taste a bit like Jolly Ranchers. Two of those drinks a day and you will be rocking your protein intake and getting more than 1/2 your fluids. Keep them cold and sip them throughout the day.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I couldn't handle the sweet protein shakes at first so drank a lot of protein infused broth I got from my surgeon's office. When that ran out I used regular low sodium/fat broth and added a scoop of unflavored protein powder to it. As for water, keep a bottle handy and sip every 10-15 minutes. You can add things like Chrystal Light for flavor if you want. I found if it's with me, I remember to drink it. If it's not I don't. And it's still like that 2.5 years out. On the days I don't get enough water, it's because I didn't have it with me either in the living room or out running around. Out of sight, out of mind. :laugh:
  • lindsey_i_am
    Options
    Thank you everyone!
  • emxp75
    emxp75 Posts: 5
    Options
    I was sleeved on 28th November 2013, and found that lemonade icy poles were a life saver! they were easy to suck on, and didn't fill me up. I figured that I was hardly eating any calories, so the few that I was eating would be ok calorie wise.