FOR THE LADIES ONLY!! TMI

Options
2»

Replies

• Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options
    It is up to you and how you feel, but you could go on continuous birth control pills, eliminate the period altogether. Talk to your doc about it.

That is interesting I have never thought about it, did not know there was that option. I have never been a birth control pill kind of girl. But I will talk to my Dr about it.

I thought that birth control pills made you gain weight?

Eating makes you gain weight, not BC.

And the newer, low dose pills (continuous or not) don't have that effect, other than as a plcebo effect.

You can do the coninuous OCP, or simply start a pill pack and "move" your period if you'd still like to have one.

Also, make sure you're getting enough iron and especially magnesium (you might notice cramping when you exercise, that's commonly magnesium deficiency in women) throughout the month as both mestrual bleeding and distance running contibute to loss/destruction of RBCs and therefore, to anemia.

Have your doc run bloodwork and an iron/ferriting panel.
  • Rindy12
    Rindy12 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I've only been on birth control pills (this time around) for almost 2 years. I had a tubal 11+ years ago when my twins were born. The only reason I'm on them is for help controlling the super heavy flow and extreme cramping I was experiencing. When the pain was so bad I had to call off work for a day a few months in a row it was time to see the doc. It's done wonders for a lighter flow, which in turn means less cramping. I only get 4 periods a year and if I need to move it forward or back by a week, doc said that's fine. Weight gain has not been an issue for me, the extra weight I carry was there long before I started the pill.
  • Cooriander
    Cooriander Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I agree with the people who said to check iron levels. Fatigue is a symptom of an iron deficiency... And having TOM amplifies it further (you'll need extra iron then).

It is easily fixed by adding iron rich foods to your diet (e.g., spinach, raisins, prunes, liver, red meats, eggs, lentils).
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    RunConquerCelebrate Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Diva Cup to the rescue! I have exclusively used one since I had my first child, and I love, love, love the Diva Cup. You just take it out and clean it twice a day and that's it. No stupid string hanging out, no gross pads close to your body, and you only have to empty it twice a day (so you really only have to do it at home). I would wear a Diva Cup in a race, for sure. I've worn one for many, many runs and never had an issue.

I notice that before I get my period, I am more irritable than anything. I am super-annoyed, don't feel like doing anything, etc. I find that I need to push myself to get to the gym, but after I workout, I feel much better.

Maybe speak to your doctor about your iron level? If it is low, you may feel more tired.

Going to have to look into the Diva cup, I have an appointment next week with my Dr so will check it out
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    Options
    I've just started training for my first marathon, and have found that the day I first start TOM I'm fine but then after that my energy decreases and after 30 minutes of running I feel faint! The month before my marathon I'm going to carry on with my pill so that I don't come on just before it or during!!!! That would be horrible and I can't even imagine contemplating running 26 miles with TOM in tow!!! :-( for the rest of my training, if I'm on I'm going to use those few days to do weight training and maybe some yoga and short runs if possible.

Yes that is me, all I want to do is sleep, I have no energy to go out and run.
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    Options
    It is up to you and how you feel, but you could go on continuous birth control pills, eliminate the period altogether. Talk to your doc about it.

That is interesting I have never thought about it, did not know there was that option. I have never been a birth control pill kind of girl. But I will talk to my Dr about it.

I thought that birth control pills made you gain weight?

I use the BC pill but I still do the 1 week off, so I still get my monthly TOM. Even still, I find that the pill helps with my low energy and headaches because my flow is much lighter than when I wasn't on the pill (sorry TMI!) so I get less anemic. Also my TOM tends to be shorter on the pill (3 days ish) so less days of feeling icky = yay!

In regards to weight gain, I've heard of this but I personally never experienced it (I've gone on and off two different BC pills and neither had this effect). I've also heard that it can increase your breast cup size a bit, but unfortunately that didn't happen for me either ;-).

Definitely talk to your doc about contraceptive options though - it would definitely help with your TOM symptoms.

I have an appointment next week so will talk to my Dr.
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    Options
    It happens to me too. A week before hand I get really lethargic and my runs feel like an all out effort. During a race it sucks because I feel heavier and bloated... Just try to drink even more water than usual.

So glad to hear I am not the only one this happens to
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I'm on the depo shot so I haven't had TOM in years. I had really heavy flow & horrible cramps for several days, so it was pretty debilitating. I wasn't running at the time, but honestly most of those days I just wanted to curl into the fetal position on the floor anyway.
  • marikevr
    marikevr Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Mirena IUD. Way better than the Diva Cup and BCP. Problem solved.

Amen. I am on my second one now and never had problems with it.
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Mirena IUD. Way better than the Diva Cup and BCP. Problem solved.

^^^^^^^THIS!!!!

I was miserable for years. Horrible cramping, nausea, heavy flow, exhaustion - curled up in a fetal position and trying to exercise only made it worse. I went on Mirena last spring. Initially I had a lot of spotting but it was very light. Now, my periods are pretty much gone. No more cramps, no more nausea, no more worrying about feeling like crap the day of the race. Saves money on all those tampons too.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I have the worst runs when on TOM. But only if it is a few days before and the first day of. I feel achy and do not have as much energy. Usually after day 1 I feel a lot better and back to normal energy wise don't feel so achy.

I don't have any need to be on hormonal birth control so I don't want to take if I don't need to. So I have no idea what the solution is.
  • sarahc001
    sarahc001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I was unfortunate enough to have an 8hr timed run with Aunt Flo on Saturday. The last loop could not be started after the 7hr mark, so I only ran for 7:23, but I definitely was grateful that there was a bathroom for the inevitable tampon swap. Had I been on a course without facilities I would've had to pack it out in a plastic bag. Done that once before- no fun. So I was slow, and it was painful, but the upside is that toughing it out makes it "easy"- or at least "easiER"- when you are not TOM. I tend to be happy for adversity in my training runs (and though this was a race I was treating it as a training run) because I know I will be able to persevere when I have to bring my A game and I encounter a rough patch. So even though it sucks to run on those days, look at it as an opportunity to make yourself stronger mentally and embrace it. Ok, maybe "embrace" is going a bit too far. :tongue:
  • cassandrac1983
    Options
    DIva Cup! It'll change your life!