Squats: How low should you go?

Options
glwerth
glwerth Posts: 335 Member
I started off at parallel (or almost there), then asked husband to help with form.

So, he watched videos and read Starting Strength (technical nerd that he is).

In helping with form, he made me go all the way down (butt almost on the floor).

Now that my weights are getting heavier, I'm going a little less far than I was before, but still almost all the way down.

And, I'm curious as to how far down others go these days?

I am fortunate that I have a very flexible lower body and no knee problems whatsoever!

Replies

• Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    I go as low as I can. Lighter weights are atg, and heavier is a bit past parallel.
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    When I'm training volume or speed I go ATG / hamstrings on calves but if I'm testing a 1RM then I get someone to shout a 'yep' when I've passed parallel just so I know its gone deep enough :bigsmile:
  • KaterinaTerese
    KaterinaTerese Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Last week I had someone check my posture and it turns out I'm at/just below parallel right now, lifting 145lbs. I struck out on Saturday (couldn't increase to 150), so I'll be deloading substantially tomorrow and will work on getting lower than before! I'd like to always be just a little below parallel, instead of "most of the time."

I don't have the ROM to reach the floor yet, weighted or unweighted... #moregobletsquatsneeded
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    there are no extra prizes for going deeper than an inch below parallel.. however I guess the lower you go the more you may recruit different sets of muscles? I only ever go to parallel!
  • glwerth
    Options
    there are no extra prizes for going deeper than an inch below parallel.. however I guess the lower you go the more you may recruit different sets of muscles? I only ever go to parallel!

It is now a habit for me, but as the weights get heavier it is harder to achieve the full range of motion and still get up.

However, I must admit, the knee problems I was having during squats went away when I started going all the way down. I don't know why, but husband insists it is because of the extra muscle groups recruited for the effort.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I say I go between parallel and ATG personally. I don't feel comfortable / don't think I can quite get, all the way down but I like to be sufficiently beyond parallel for the sake of competitions. I have to go at least to parallel in those and I figured if I've practised going even further, there should be no doubt over my depth. Plus it involves more hamstrings and glutes when you go lower and that's always a good thing in my eyes!

Regarding knee issues, in general knee problems are worse for a person when they cut it short at parallel. By taking it all the way down you are supposedly taking less pressure off the knees as it goes into hamstrings/glutes.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I try to go just past parallel. Any deeper and my butt starts to roll under (butt wink).
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I have trouble with my knees right now, so I de loaded all the way to just the bar and go ATG to see if it might help
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    I get ATG at body weight and that tends to get closer to parallel as the weight increases.
  • glwerth
    Options
    I say I go between parallel and ATG personally. I don't feel comfortable / don't think I can quite get, all the way down but I like to be sufficiently beyond parallel for the sake of competitions. I have to go at least to parallel in those and I figured if I've practised going even further, there should be no doubt over my depth. Plus it involves more hamstrings and glutes when you go lower and that's always a good thing in my eyes!

Regarding knee issues, in general knee problems are worse for a person when they cut it short at parallel. By taking it all the way down you are supposedly taking less pressure off the knees as it goes into hamstrings/glutes.

I was amazed at how much less strain there is on my knees going farther down. It seems counter-intuitive, but it works.

I was just curious as to what people do.
  • cpiton
    cpiton Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I go ATG on goblets and lower weight back squats (anything below 125ish) and parallel or just below parallel (an inch or so) when lifting heavier. I'd like to go ATG at least up to my bodyweight. It does seem to help my knees.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Unless you plan on competing, you don't need to go ATG. Parallel or slightly above parallel is perfectly fine for the majority of people. You just don't want to get caught in a trap of only doing like half squats. They can serve a purpose, but not on a regular basis and not in a program like SL.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    I try to go ATG on my warm up sets which helps with hitting parallel on working sets. If I don't warm up enough, I'm almost, but not quite, parallel.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Ditto here...even with just body weight I only ever went parallel...feel it more in my quads...
  • hnsaunde
    hnsaunde Posts: 757 Member
    Options

Ditto here...even with just body weight I only ever went parallel...feel it more in my quads...

Same here, I hit parallel or maybe just an inch below.

I have tried ATG squats, and when I do them, I position the barbell higher on my shoulders, so it's a different movement for me than what low bar feels like.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

I was amazed at how much less strain there is on my knees going farther down. It seems counter-intuitive, but it works.

I was just curious as to what people do.
    Hm, that's interesting. I would think it would be harder on the knees. I'll have to keep this in mind.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I think I just go to parallel
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

I have tried ATG squats, and when I do them, I position the barbell higher on my shoulders, so it's a different movement for me than what low bar feels like.

K I have to change mine now....when I got my form check videos up I was just barely parallel...so I deloaded last night by 30lbs and got almost atg...what a difference that made...I might have to change where the bar sits tho too.

I will now be concentrating on getting as low as I can while still increasing my weight but I will now always ensure I am below parallel...maybe no atg...but below parallel...my bum hurts today....:sad: :blushing: :sad: :blushing: :sad: but that is a good thing
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options

K I have to change mine now....when I got my form check videos up I was just barely parallel...so I deloaded last night by 30lbs and got almost atg...what a difference that made...I might have to change where the bar sits tho too.

I will now be concentrating on getting as low as I can while still increasing my weight but I will now always ensure I am below parallel...maybe no atg...but below parallel...my bum hurts today....:sad: :blushing: :sad: :blushing: :sad: but that is a good thing

bar position and hip flexibility/stance will play a big part in depth. You will get much deeper from a front squat or Oly squat than from a low bar just because your torso is more upright and you can drop in easier

Now this is proper ATG!!!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

3f711_ORIG-9feb2_*kitten*_to_grass_zps98db4ba8.jpg
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I go at least parallel, preferably lower. As weights are heavier I have a harder time going less than parallel.