A warning about Walk it off in 30 days

Options
kawookie
kawookie Posts: 813 Member
Hi all,

I just wanted to share my experience with Leslie's Walk it off in 30 days. I would say that I am an intermediate/advanced walker. I have quite a few Leslie videos and I generally do 3-5 miles a session. I have many different walk boosters (band, belt, cuffs, weights, etc.). I am overweight, but no longer obese. I am in my 30s and I regularly do time on the elliptical, pilates, and sometimes water aerobics -- I am in good health so I didn't anticipate any issues with this video.

I tried the burn 30 part of the DVD, and found it challenging but very do-able. It is actually a go to video when I lack time . Then I tried the Firm 30.

It was a disaster.

Although I made it through the whole video, it was a full week before I could walk without pain. Sitting down with control was impossible for awhile (it was more like a controlled fall).

The second time I tried it, I did the video without any weights. I was sore the next few days, but not too bad. The third time I also used extreme caution using only light weights at the end.

On Friday, I did the video again thinking I was stronger now. I used 3 pound weights. Bad idea. I ended up straining my IT bands in my legs. I have to avoid exercising my legs for a few days :sad: So, I want to pass along what I have learned:

1) Don't try to keep up with Leslie -- do the exercises until you feel fatigue and then march in place
2) Start without any weights - you can pick up some weights at the end when you do the arm work
3) Consider starting mid way through the video. The section with the arm work has you doing 1/2 lunges as set points so even doing the end would be a good way to get stronger both in the upper and lower body.

Strength training is great, but if you aren't used to doing lots of lunges and squats this video should be used with caution. I have learned the hard way. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    I was surprised how sore I was after the Burn 30 workout! Definitely work at your own pace, use light weights until you are used to it, and listen to your body (and your muscles)!
  • shuki_cotren
    shuki_cotren Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I also have Walk it off in 30 days. I recently bought that one and the Belly Blasting Walk. You are right- walk it off in 30 is slightly higher-impact than her older walks. I am used to the walks in the Walk Away the Pounds Ultimate Collection.

If anyone is trying to pick between these two... In my opinion, walk it off in 30 is lower-impact. I don't do it with weights yet.

I do like the fact that you can play the 30 minute walk with music only and crank up the music.