Your number one piece of Half Marathon Advice

Options
13»

Replies

• fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Crap, so when I run a 10 mile, do I have to think about giving up my caffeine again? What a miserable week that was.

Case in point - Fitzgerald points out that regular users of caffeine should do a caffeine fast that last for two weeks because even a 5 day fast won't clear the system. I haven't seen that in any other source.

He also discusses the value of carboloading for the Half, different approaches to carboloading, as well as the value of fat loading.

Hard to beat that sort of info for $9.99 (Kindle price).
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Crap, so when I run a 10 mile, do I have to think about giving up my caffeine again? What a miserable week that was.

Case in point - Fitzgerald points out that regular users of caffeine should do a caffeine fast that last for two weeks because even a 5 day fast won't clear the system. I haven't seen that in any other source.

He also discusses the value of carboloading for the Half, different approaches to carboloading, as well as the value of fat loading.

I'll give up my coffee when then claw the mug from my cold, dead hands.
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options

I also highly recommend that book. I have done the caffeine fast thing and found it worthwhile. What i do is ramp down my intake slowly. I don't drink all that much anyway (2 cups/day), so it's no biggie. About four weeks out, I go to one cup a day and decaf for the second cup. Three weeks out a cup of half regular/half decaf and decaf for the second. Then I just switch over to decaf only for about 10 days. This regimen is infinitely better than stopping cold turkey, which leads to awful headaches, for me at least. I might give the fat loading a whirl for my marathon in May. He does indicate that it isn't going to make a really huge difference and to be realistic, it probably isn't necessary for older age-grouper like me.
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    You've gotten some amazing advice here!! I wish I had been more diligent asking for tips before I ran my first half so kudos to you! Something to keep in mind is that what works for one person may not necessarily work for you. You don't have time to "test" everything so be smart about what you implement and when from this point on. Things like body glide are no brainers; because whether or not you would have "needed" it, if you use it you can't regret it--no side affects that I've ever heard of. Also, what I would think about is what your fitness level is in comparison to the people giving advice. Some of the commenters are elite athletes having run (seemingly) countless distance events. They might also be in optimal physical shape. This advice can be priceless because they're obviously pros, but they've had years to perfect their training. If you're used to higher ratio of carbs or caffeine in your diet it's probably not the best time to make those adjustments. You're so close to your race you don't want to do anything that makes you resent the process or potentially negatively affect your race. For me, I am about 20 pounds over weight and I have run 3 half marathons (all in the last 4.5 months). I have not deprivation trained (not taking fuel) and I have not caffeine fasted specific to running. These aren't things I would want to try within the final weeks before my next half. For me I would rather have a few things I can depend on (and possibly not "need") if they make me feel more confident. I realize this is becoming a novel so...

TLDR; be confident in your training, test anything new weeks prior to your race--NOTHING new on race day (I mean nothing; wear underwear you have run your long run in, socks, shoes, hat, sun glasses, etc., etc.) Pace yourself to finish strong, it is 13.1 miles. Enjoy the race, you'll never run your first half marathon ever again! ????????????
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I'll pass along John Bingham's advice/goal:

"Finish the same day that you start."

Don't do "junk miles" trying to improve your pace before the big race. If they aren't part of your programs, don't do them. Running on exhausted muscles rather than rested (but trained) muscles is not a recipe for fun.

As for the Fun...have fun and smile for the cameras. Particularly for your first one.

Good luck!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I'll pass along John Bingham's advice/goal:

"Finish the same day that you start."

Don't do "junk miles" trying to improve your pace before the big race. If they aren't part of your programs, don't do them. Running on exhausted muscles rather than rested (but trained) muscles is not a recipe for fun.

As for the Fun...have fun and smile for the cameras. Particularly for your first one.

Good luck!

"junk miles" is a phrase that I detest as any running is going to have some kind of benefit.

That being said, I agree with how you are using it in this context. Basically, just make sure you are adhering to a plan, and if it contains a taper, do the taper, don't add miles in during the last week or two to see if you can improve your fitness.
  • theBeesKnees35
    theBeesKnees35 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Have 3 goals for your race.
    A) The achievable reach - best time you think is possible
    B) A slower range that you will still be happy with
    C) To finish
    I am always happy if I finish but even happier if I can hit my A or B goal.

Take time to really enjoy the moment. It is a blessing to be able to move your body in this way. A blessing that not a ton of people experience.

love this idea!
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I have re-read every ones advice and compiled them for me to remember.

Control you’re pacing

"Don’t go out too fast"

Bring moleskin or band aids

Save a bit of juice for the last .1....so you can sprint across the line!

If there is a turbo boost on the course, always hit the turbo boost!

Run smart and pace yourself

Remember to have fun!

Look out for pacers

Number 1 rule is not to do anything new for the race that you haven't done in training

Soak in every moment...running that distance is special, and something most can’t or don't do. Have a great experience!

Body glide!!!

Be confident in your training

And last but not least here are my 3 goals for the race

A) The achievable reach - best time you think is possible (10:00 min pace, I ran this pace at my last race a 15K so it is achievable)

B) A slower range that you will still be happy with (10:30 - 11:00 min pace. Last long run was at 11:00 pace, so I know this is my slower pace running by myself)

C) To finish and have fun