I don't think my first day could have gone worse!!!

Options
jennicole4
jennicole4 Posts: 90 Member
Hello all! I'm new to the group and I'd like to apologize in advance that my first topic I'm posting within the group is a complaint. I've lost 36 pounds in the past 7 months since having my baby and am pleased with the progress, but have been lurking the success stories section for a while and was blown away by the heavy lifting ladies and their results. I've done other male dominated things in the past like MMA classes, etc., so I figured SL would be a great program and was really excited to start.

I signed up at the gym and was told I got a free hour with a trainer and I set up a time to come back. I was looking forward to having someone show me proper form on all the exercises so that I would have a good foundation. The consultation was brutal. He said I needed to change my eating to 5x per day and that I had to stop drinking coffee and stop eating red meat and that I had to only eat potatoes at lunch, never at dinner. I will admit I don't get as much protein as I should, but I don't see anything wrong with eating red meat every now and then and I'm certainly not giving up my coffee. I only add creamer (60 cals.) and I think that's okay since I only drink a cup or two a day. I plan on working toward a better balance and eating a 40/30/30 split and upping my water intake, but he made it sound like I was never going to get results unless I let him make me a plan. Boo! I kind of let it roll of my shoulders because I was really only there to be shown how to do the exercises. First, he tried to steer me to the ladies area because he said there were a lot of guys in the free weights section and they were using the machines. He said that area was mostly men and I probably wouldn't like it. He said I should start on the machines. I resisted and he finally walked me over to the bench. He started me with the bar and did show me proper form, but when I started, he made me do 20 reps. By the end, I was a little shaky and the bar was leaning to one side. He said this was evidence that I needed machines because the bar was obviously too heavy. I want to do 5x5, not 5x20! Then he took me over to the Smith machine to show me squats. I know from lurking in the forums that most of you guys don't recommend the Smith machine, but he said you were wrong and it's the only way to learn proper form. He had me do 20 more reps on it with 20 pounds worth of weight. It was pretty easy. Then he pulled a bench over and showed me how to bench press with the Smith machine - also 20 reps, also pretty easy. And that was it! He said I'd be better off on the machines. I didn't get to learn the deadlift, overhand press, or rows I asked for and to top it off, he showed me a picture of his girlfriend in her underwear and said he did that for her in 9 months after her baby and he could make a way better program for me than SL.

Now, I feel really nervous about going on my own because I didn't learn the other exercises and he told me I would hurt myself trying to use free weights alone. If I go there, I'm afraid he's going to see me not following his advice and say something. Or that in a month he's going to tell me my results could be better. I just feel even more nervous than I did initially. Should I get my money back and try another gym? I think this one is the only one with childcare except the Y which is uber expensive, but I might be able to work something out with my husband where he could watch the kids. Or should I just suck it up, forget what he said, and move forward on my own?

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I would find another gym or if you have thick skin tell him to eff off if he tries to offer any unsolicited advice. Also I wouldn't take the "free" session with the trainer, more times than not I hear bad stories of wasted time and frustration. You are better lurking around here and using YouTube videos. That's how I learned.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    Wow. That does sound pretty brutal. That guy was an idiot, and a tool. :angry:

I always have super sassy comebacks in my head, but IRL I just nod at whatever the person is saying then come on MFP to make fun of them.

I had a meet on Saturday where I squatted 275, and I have trouble doing 20 squats with the bar. Which means I should maybe work on endurance a bit, but that is neither here nor there. The point is doing sets of 20 has a very weak if any correlation with doing sets of 5 or less.

I would want to switch gyms, but I probably wouldn't. Was this guy the owner, the manager, or the only trainer? If not I'd speak to a manager/owner about how unhappy you are with your training session. Mainly that he didn't listen to what you wanted and you felt like it was a waste of your time. Then ask for a free session with a different trainer. Another alternative if it fits into your budget is to google "power lifting gyms *city name*" and get just one or two training sessions there while your husband watches the kids, then take your kids and lifting skills over to your current gym for workouts.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Wow, and I thought my free session was bad. Guy gave me a cookie cutter somewhat upper/lower split, showed me around the gym and basically I tried to have him check my form and with just a single glance he was like "oh it's alright" haha.

If the gym has everything you need, I don't see why you couldn't go back. If he's watching, even more power to you: show him he was wrong! For one, there isn't a single path to your destination, so it's up to YOU and you alone which one you choose. (And I BET if you do SL you're going to be able to move more weight than his wife doing sets of 20).

Your diet sounds fine to me - as long as you eat enough but not too much, you'll keep losing weight and making some muscles. And definitely not turn into the Hulk lol. (The coffee is actually good for fat loss to a degree, but probably not best for acidity levels and the creamer may not be super helpful, but if you've lost some weight already, why fix something that,s not broken?)

I don't know where that guy got his credentials, because he really spouted you a lot of narrow-minded BS right there... Honestly? Sounds to me like he was feeling threatened by your drive to "train like a man" xD

If you're really that worried about form, invest into the book Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe. It's very in-depth (bit of a snooze-fest since it gets really technical, but if you soldier through you'll have a very solid base). And if you can manage to get someone to film you or setup your smartphone to record your lifts, there is plenty of people here that are more than willing to help you out with form, too :)

Please don't give up! We're here to support you every step of the way :)
  • rlw911
    rlw911 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Don't let one idiotic trainer ruin your plans! It sounds like he's trying to get more sessions out of you, since he didn't make much money off you today! I would consider talking to the manager and seeing if they would let you try another trainer. If not, there's plenty of ladies here that have taught themselves and plenty of ladies here willing to answer questions and offer advice. Keep going to your gym and doing your workouts. If you can afford a couple of sessions, keep your eye on the other trainers and see if you think one of them might be more suited to your needs.

Good luck and please don't give up! Ignore him, suck it up and keep going on your own! :happy:
  • catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I agree with what the others have said. Don't give up.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I would consider finding a new gym.

If you've entered into a contract, check to see if you can opt out of it due to state/local laws. Don't quote me, but I've read that there's a "cool down" period in which you can terminate a gym membership free and clear if you felt you were rushed into and it's just not right for you. I've heard it can be anywhere from 3 days to 2 weeks. If anyone has more accurate information, please correct me if I'm wrong!

Good Luck with your journey! I love StrongLifts :drinker:
  • cpiton
    cpiton Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Wow. It almost sounds like HE was afraid to go into the free weights section of the gym.

Sorry you had a rough first time. :flowerforyou: If it helps, I've never worked with a trainer. I read Venuto's ebook, watched Rippetoe videos and read his book, read Wendler's book, watched more videos like So You Think You Can Bench, even read New Rules of Lifting for Women though I never intended to do their exact workout (good info regardless) and watched more videos. I ask questions and get advice from lifters here. I film myself once in a while to check form and compare mine to the videos I mentioned. Works for me.

Also, I drink coffee and eat red meat regularly. I lost 60 lbs doing that and have kept it off for 6+ years. I have some new goals now. :bigsmile:

Be sure to post an update and let us know how your second workout went.

Edit:typo
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    and since when did an orientation session with a PT give them the ability to give you diet advice?! what a wazzock.

you'll be fine, whether there or somewhere else.. did they have a squat rack or cage at least?! if so then you have everything you need. Oh, and check that you can do deadlifts too (some places get funny about 'dropping' weights)..
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I must be a big ole *kitten*..cause I would told him to float when he tried to tell me I wouldn't like the free weight section.

Do not let him discourage you...talk to managment and get another session etc.

Keep at it...watch youtube videos etc and even ask people at the gym for pointers they will more then likely be glad to help.
  • jennicole4
    Options
    He is not the only trainer there. They have several. As far as I know, he's not the owner. I can't imagine the owner of a business thinking it's appropriate to show clients pictures of his girlfriend in her underwear. On second thought, her head wasn't even in the picture, so it may have just been a random pic he pulled off the internet somewhere. What a coincidence that he said she happened to be the same exact height as me 5'0" and he helped her lose 20 lbs (the exact amount I want to lose). Hmm... I was too upset yesterday to think about these things clearly.

They have everything I need and I was pleased with the childcare set up. There is a closed circuit t.v. in every area of the gym that allows you to see into the kids section while you work out. I saw a squat rack and a lot of mats so I think deadlifts are allowed. He just wouldn't show me any of that equipment

I think PP who said you have time to back out of a contract is right. My mom said the same thing. I think I'll go in and talk to a manager and make my final decision whether to stay or not. If I stay, I'm just going to suck it up and do my own thing. If he says something to me then, and I've already talked to a manager, I'll at least have someone to go to with any problems. Hopefully, he'll just ignore me since I'm not one of his paying customers.

Thanks for all the support ladies! I'm not going to give up. I just feel even MORE awkward than I did initially because I'm afraid he's going to be watching me. Or if I hurt myself (God forbid), I'm going to get a big old "I told you so, you silly girl" I'll be watching those videos you guys recommend and I'll get back at it on Wednesday.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I must be a big ole *kitten*..cause I would told him to float when he tried to tell me I wouldn't like the free weight section.

Ditto. I really don't take crap from random people. :laugh:
  • hnsaunde
    hnsaunde Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! Chalk it up to a bad experience, and just move forward :)

I had a similar experience when I signed up for my gym, although not quite as bad as yours was (I was also pushed to the machines first). I did end up in the free weights section on my own, and based on my experiences, the PT's typically leave you alone if you're not a paying client.

I ended up learning the form myself, and posting videos on here and in the ETP group for feedback, and watching tons of YouTube videos.

My advice is to just get in there and do it on your own, and it's unlikely he's going to approach you again, and if he does, well, just tell him to go stick it!
  • jennicole4
    Options
    Question for you experienced ladies - he said it was very dangerous for me to attempt free weights without a spotter. I have to workout alone b/c hubby's schedule is crazy. Do I need to be worried or is it okay?
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    Question for you experienced ladies - he said it was very dangerous for me to attempt free weights without a spotter. I have to workout alone b/c hubby's schedule is crazy. Do I need to be worried or is it okay?

I work out alone. I think you have to be more careful with form and I know I don't push myself as hard as I could, but I wouldn't say it's crazy dangerous. FWIW, I've only injured myself once and that was due to poor form.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    The only thing you would need a spotter for is really heavy bench where you couldn't roll of shame (you can google this). I'm pretty sure by the time you get this high you'll feel comfortable asking for a spot :)

As far as injuries if you keep good form you will be fine, but keep in mind people in general are always hurting themselves. From professional athletes to dudes like my dad that ruptured his Achilles while dancing at a wedding. Of course chances of wedding ruptures are lowered if you have done regular exercise that strengthens your muscles and connective tissue like SL ;)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Bench only if you don't pull it into the power rack...which is an option and there are people there willing to spot if you need it.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    That trainer is a moron. Only eat potatoes at lunch--?? Wha? ...I can't even.

If he won't teach you what you want to know, look up proper form yourself on Youtube or www.exrx.com. You don't need him, guaranteed he's trying to confuse you so you feel like you NEED him and will buy all his bogus services. Bullsh!t.

If you are worried about hurting yourself, start lifting with just the bar, or even no bar at all, until your form is spot on. Then spend the next few weeks after that slowly adding more weight, all the while making sure your form is rock-solid. I have never paid a trainer to show me how to do a lift (I've paid them to keep me motivated and bark at me like a drill sergeant, but never to just show me a lift :tongue: ). You can learn that on your own.
  • juniet31
    juniet31 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    That guy is seriously an idiot and its a shame that there are still a lot of people/fitness "professionals"/trainers that hold onto that sort of mentality that women should be secluded to a "woman's only" section and/or machines. Ignore him.
    There are plenty of us "girls" who use free weights and lift heavy even *GASP* alongside the boys in the free weights section. I can attest to the fact that it can be pretty intimidating at first especially if you are new to lifting and don't have anyone to spot you or show you proper form. The best thing to do is to google/youtube as many of the exercises as you can to get a grasp for form, start off light and go in with a set game plan. You can totally lift without a spotter just have to be more careful and make good use of the guards/catchers and maybe learn how to safely do the "roll" after a failed bench (I say this because I've had to do it once and I'm glad I had looked it up before). If you are going to be doing some heavy bench work maybe use the power rack with guards.

Also potatoes are delicious as is red meat :-P [in my opinion]. I think its about moderation unless you have a serious intolerance or ethical concern. Eat what works for you, experiment, add in certain foods see how you feel , get in tune with your body's signals and go from there.
  • jennicole4
    Options
    Thank ALL of you for such a warm welcome to the group and so much support! I am blown away at how nice all of you are and I have slept on it and prayed about it and have a much better perspective on everything today. I told my husband what happened and he is going to make time in his schedule to go with me and help me out for a while. He was in the Army and lifted a lot while in Iraq, so I trust he knows what he's doing. I'm still going to watch the videos just in case :laugh: Anyway, I'm so glad I joined this group and I can't wait to get to know all of you "beasts" better!

Thanks again! :flowerforyou:
  • dapunks
    dapunks Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Wow, reading this just makes me appreciate my trainer. He enjoyed teaching me deadlifts. :smile: