Growing vegetables with roses.

Options
I've got that gardening bug already (yes, I know it's January!) and I've decided to plant a small (10x12) cool crop bed alongside some rose bushes that are already established around my porch. I want to plant kale, spinach, broccoli, cabbage, swiss chard, garlic and onions, etc., as well as some hyacinth and daffodil bulbs for some early spring color. I'm in region 7b so I can only wait about a month before I start breaking ground at the most to get the cool weather crops going before it starts getting hot! Anyone know of any of these plants that won't live well together?

Replies

• Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    A month to break ground? Jealous here I guess. I can't do any ground work until the May long weekend but certainly start stuff inside ahead of that to get as much time once they hit the garden as possible. I've got about a 3 month window for the outside stuff.

Garlic is one I'd have to get planted in the fall in order to have a chance to have it reach a decent size.

I've not grown that stuff together but I do miss my old garden that had something new coming into bloom just as something else was finishing up, definitely makes good use of your veggie garden to have items that mature at different times.
  • veronicaadavis7
    Options
    Hilariously, a day or two after I posted this, we were hit with a "huge" winter storm that dumped about 6 inches of snow and an inch of ice on us. Unheard of in Southeast NC. But it's all melting away this weekend.

Yes I love to garden in cycles so I have something going on in the spring, summer and fall. With flowers and veggies and fruits.