Home Equipment

Options
vendygirl
vendygirl Posts: 718 Member
For the folks that bought the equipment for home, where did you get most of it?
My gym is just too insane with meat heads and it is annoying to have to wait for a rack every time I go to the gym (and this includes all different times). I just need to buy the stuff and do it at home!

So give me your best recommendations and advice on what I should get.

The rack is going to have to be smaller as my basement ceiling is low so I will be OHP might have to be done while sitting on the bench, which I was told was okay.

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I have slowly gathered items over 10 years.

I bought a small on sale (bar + 100lbs york weights), when I got married my husband had some plates and a bench.

My son and husband bought me new bars for my birthday and built me a squat rack...it's a bit rough but does the job. You can find plans online.

And now my Dad and his wife have given me a new bench with lat pull down that they had laying around...

I just go buy plates now as I need them...20lbs(2x 10lbs) here, 50lbs there (2 x25lbs)
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Check out Craigslist. I searched in the Dayton/Springfield area and they had 2 power racks listed (usually there aren't any). It's getting to be that time of year when people get rid of stuff, so keep searching. It probably won't take you long to find what you're looking for.
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    make sure if you get a rack and a bar they fit each other. we tend to use olympic bars which have a 2" sleeve diameter for the plates. make sure the sleeves rotate! and get round plates or you will want to throw something when you try and deadlift..
  • catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I got all my equipment at garage sales. Scored some really good deals.
  • hearthemelody
    hearthemelody Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I got a standard set of weights on Amazon for about $70, didn't like the bar it came with so I got a better one for about $20. When my husband wanted to start joining my workouts he bought an Olympic Bar and weights at D i c k s sporting goods for about $200. Then he swore we needed a squat rack so he got one at Sears for another $200. It is about 83 inches tall according to the website.

It all depends on your budget!
  • emjaycazz
    emjaycazz Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    If you do get plates from Craigslist or garage sales--check them for chips, rust, cracks,etc. I got iron splinters at the beginning!

I have a basic squat rack, and I think a couple of others have squat stands. If you go this route, you would want to use something to take the place of the safety pins on power cages--my sawhorses have worked for me (as long as my husband isn't using them for his projects).