10 Days into my new life free from being controlled by food

debmpt
debmpt Posts: 6 Member
Hi! I am so excited to be starting my new life free from being controlled and getting my pleasure from food.

I come from a family of food-controlled people. All our get -togethers are focused on food and I was raised to look at food as a source of pleasure and joy not as a means to obtain energy. I usually think about my next meal and what it will be and how soon it will come. I felt as though I was depriving myself if I didn't treat myself with something yummy, not always sweets but some fat or bread. If others ate sweets or "good" food around me and I did not, I felt resentful and that it was not fair that they could eat it and I could not. I now realize that food is not meant to make me "feel good" or "happy" , it is simply meant to nourish my body. I may have felt good while eating badly but I felt bad after (constipated, gassy, or lethargic). Then I subsequently felt guilty for what I had done and felt bad about myself. I looked at my body and hated what I saw, justifying the expanding waist line and poor fitting clothes as I am just getting older and my metabolism is slowing, and I come from a family of big people so there is no hope.

I'm done with this destructive thinking and self-image. I DESERVE BETTER!!!!! I can look better and feel better and I can find other sources of joy other than food. My husband wants me to lose weight but I told him I'm not doing it for him but for me because I'M WORTH IT. Food will no longer control me and my life and my future!!!! I watch the effects of being obese in my whole family. We are fortunately healthy, without Diabetes, but brothers and mother have High Blood pressure, arthritis, and sleep apnea.

I am 10 days into my Advocare 24 day challenge and feel really good. I have exercised 4-5 days per week with Advocare's great Can U 24 exercise video. My cravings for dairy and bread has been very minimal and sugar even less. I am enjoying the real taste of food, not disguised by the fats etc.... My energy level is good and aches and pains have lessoned. I was taking ADVIL every day just to make it through the day and have only taken it today due to menstrual cramps. I thought it would be hard to exercise but the workouts are only 25 minutes and easy to learn. I had tried some Jillian Michaels workouts and couldn't move for 4 days afterward, even throwing my neck out. Im not sore the next day with these workouts but feel like they are challenging me. I will be 49 in less than 2 months and I feel like I'm 32. Have lost 2 lbs so far but clothes already fit better. Can't wait for the next 14 days of my challenge and beyond!!!!

Replies

• ZamaMama
    ZamaMama Posts: 20 Member
    Wow Debmpt, your attitude is fantastic, good for you! I'm turning 50 in June and like you, I'm trying to gain a new healthy way of life. Logging all my food has really been an eye-opener for me. I used to just eat whatever was easy, which typically meant fast food and lots of it. Every time I tried to diet in the past I failed because I always felt like I was starving and being deprived "the good stuff". Now my focus is on eating healthy foods and I don't feel like I'm starving at all. As a matter of fact, the healthy foods have been keeping much more satisfied throughout the day than all the junk food ever did. So glad you've joined the group, I look forward sharing this journey with you! :smile: