Chapped eyelids???

Options
Ok cycling kids. Been riding in the winter indoors seriously for the first time in Dec/Jan. Has anyone experienced chapped eyelids? Hitting them with some serious lotion. but a first time for me.

Replies

• sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,244 Member
    Options
    What? I can't say I ever have experienced that one. Do you sweat a lot?
  • JediCounsil
    JediCounsil Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Harsh towels and sweat? New to me, dude.
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,244 Member
    Options
    I guess it's new to everyone. You and I are the only two to post. I was thinking if you are sensitive to a soap or fabric softener in the towels and you are wiping the sweat a lot it may be causing the chaffing.
  • JediCounsil
    JediCounsil Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Aquaphor, Aquaphor, Aquaphor. It took a while, but I think it is working.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I'm not dedicated / hardcore enough to ride in the winter but I do run outside all year 'round and I've found that a good moisturizer helps protect against -40°C dry air (Lubriderm) haven't a problem specifically with eyelids but I have had chapped cheeks.......
  • DeliriumCanBeFun
    DeliriumCanBeFun Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine chapped eyelids. That must be terrible! You said you got that riding indoors? I have spent a lot of time on the trainer this winter, and I sweat a great deal and have sensitive skin that tends to dry out in the winter. I keep a hand towel or a golf towel or something like that on my handle bars so that i can start to blot my forehead before the sweat gets to my eyes gets to my eyes. I use it often and never rub. I know most guys are hesitant to use facial products, but an oil free daily moisturizer is a great idea for anyone. My husband has even started using mine after trying it a couple of times after having wind burn and has found that it helps prevent things like that. Most have a sunscreen which is great if you spend any amount of time outdoors. Aquaphor is a must have for me too. It's the best for super dry, damaged skin and a half way decent stand in for chamois butter.
  • cyclistphil
    cyclistphil Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I can definetly relate here. Have run into the same issue. I am pretty sure it is from wiping the sweat out of my eyes with a towel repeatedly. I started wearing a cycling hat when riding the trainer. It absorbs most of the sweat and directs what ever is left over to the sides of my face so i dont have to wipe it.