Looking for advice for a pre op sleever

Options
I am 4-6 weeks away from having the sleeve surgery and I'm both excited and scared out of my mind! I'm going into this with the understanding that the surgery is but a tool to help me gain control of my eating, but the closer I get to having the surgery, the more I'm understanding that my connection with food is emotional.

If there is anyone out there who understands the struggles of emotional eating who has gone through with it and had the surgery - could you please give me your experience as to how you've managed to handle that annoying voice urging you to have just one more piece....

My highest weight was 182, I'm currently 169 and my goal is to not be morbidly obese, so my "goal weight" will be determined by the BMI chart. I am desperate to not struggle through the day with aches and pains in my hips and knees and to rid myself of the annoying cPAP machine for sleep apnea. I would love to have the energy to play with my children (aged 4 & 8) and not have to bury myself in tents for clothing.

I truly feel I have tried it all over the years, Jenny Craig, weight watchers Atkins, south beach, Joe cross, you name it...I've tried it. And I've gotten results each time but put the weight back on plus, every time too. I just pray this will help me get it together - I could teach nutrition classes, I know everything there is to KNOW about healthy eating, I just can't seem to apply it. I've thought maybe I should get it together in my head, you know...sort the emotional attachment with food before having the surgery-but is that just a cop out? Do I really have the years left in me after all the havoc excessive food has caused?

Anyone who can relate to my rambling, please share your story and experience with me. I am committed to losing this weight once and for all...but I've approached every diet with the same determination-has the sleeve been different for you??

Replies

• Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I have an addiction and I had to look outside myself for help. I go to Mass - a lot. Catholic Churches offer daily mass and I even watch mass online from Ireland when my schedule is already full. This gets me outside my own head and reminds me of what my true purpose in life is. I need to turn to God with my frustrations and sorrows- not Doritos. I need to get off my *kitten* and plan and prepare healthy food not go thru the drive thru. I need to remember that every meal doesn't have to be fabulously rich and delicious to satisfy me. Food is not love, nor a reward, nor solace. Good luck.