Question on Calories

Options
2»

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    BTW, why do you have carbs as your 40%? For fat loss, it should be 40% protein, 30% fat, 30% carbs.

THANK YOU! I needed to know this too!

It's all a matter of personal preference. People have seen positive results with all different kinds of macro breakdowns.
  • MissGamerGirl
    MissGamerGirl Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all of the replies! I added Eat. Train. Progress. to my groups and read through some of the threads, especially on the calories and macros. I used their macro calculations (except for their protein calculation because I don't know my BF%, thus not knowing my LBM. Instead I used NROLFW's advice and multiplied 2 by my weight in kgs) which make my percentages quite a bit off from what is normally recommended to me by others. Based on their equations and rounding (either up or down, depending), I got a macro split of 55C/25P/20F. I like my set-up better. Note: Until today I havn't weighed myself for the last week or more due to my period, but I'm now at 137 and not 140. I used 137 lbs in my calculations.

So to clear up my goals: I guess I'm really just more concerned with losing fat at the moment. Is there a preference or recommendation for those just starting lifting to focus on bulking or cutting first? My first instinct is to get rid of the fat, so I would be eating at a deficit. From what I understand, it seems that in order to lose fat AND gain muscle, you need to eat at maintenance, but that this would be a very slow process and isn't ideal because of that. Is this right? I don't mind being patient but I also don't want slow-as-molasses progress either.

Since my TDEE is 2250 and 10% off of that is 2025, my set-up of 2000 calories appears appropriate for fat loss.

I find it challenging to remain in my calorie goal while filling up my macros. To get the protein I need, I end up eating more, thus increasing calories. It's a tough balancing act.

Can you still make gains while in a cut, or no? I thought that even by losing fat, you could still gain strength and bump your weights up. That is ideally what I would like to do. I would like to be able to lift more than just the bar. ;) But again, I want progress at a reasonable increase.
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    If losing fat is your primary goal, you have to accept that your gains will be slower (not zero, because some of your excess weight can be turned into fuel for growing muscles). Intake (quantity, not macro breakdown) is key for 'losing weight' but lifting weights will mean that more of that weight loss comes from fat rather than muscle.

I found weighing daily became a bit obsessive and unhelpful as weight can fluctuate for all sorts of reasons (hydration, hormones etc) on a daily basis. Once a week at the same time in the same conditions (nekked first thing on a Saturday morning for me!) will give you a trend. But do what works for you and your mental health!
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you were able to find a starting point for your macros. One way I try to keep around goal, but keep my protein goal in check is to plan around the protein. If I know I can hit that, I can fill in the rest of the calories with carbs or fat and keep under the calories.

The typical goal is to lean down first and then add lean mass once you are at an appropriate BF%. The Eat, Train, Progress once had a BF% estimation thread and they are pretty good at giving an visual estimate.

You can still make strength gains on a deficit and since you are just starting out, much of the initial progress will be teaching the body how to fire the right nerves to lift and making those connections. You will get stronger by building those connections. Gains will start to slow down eventually, but that is typical when you reach heavier weights anyway. Busting through stalls can be easier when well fed, but isn't impossible during a cut.

A 10% cut isn't a huge cut and should give you a good balance. Try it for a month and see what your measurements do. Adjust the calories up or down based on your actual results since TDEE calculations are just estimates.
  • UpperBodyLowerBody
    Options
    Since my TDEE is 2250 and 10% off of that is 2025, my set-up of 2000 calories appears appropriate for fat loss.

I find it challenging to remain in my calorie goal while filling up my macros. To get the protein I need, I end up eating more, thus increasing calories. It's a tough balancing act.

Can you still make gains while in a cut, or no? I thought that even by losing fat, you could still gain strength and bump your weights up. That is ideally what I would like to do. I would like to be able to lift more than just the bar. ;) But again, I want progress at a reasonable increase.

If you increase your protein intake, you will be MORE full while still staying under your calories for the day. For instance, chicken breast:

Chicken Breast (Boneless, Skinless) , 1 ounces 36c 7p 1f 0c 0

So if you eat 6 ounces of chicken breast that's only 216 calories, but 42g of protein! That is EXTREMELY filling, you will be shoveling your face with food and wanting to quit, I promise.

Everybody underestimates how satiating protein is until they actually try a high protein diet.

And yes you can make gains during a cut. I'm increasing my lifts every day while cutting 10 pounds.
  • MissGamerGirl
    Options
    If losing fat is your primary goal, you have to accept that your gains will be slower (not zero, because some of your excess weight can be turned into fuel for growing muscles). Intake (quantity, not macro breakdown) is key for 'losing weight' but lifting weights will mean that more of that weight loss comes from fat rather than muscle.

I found weighing daily became a bit obsessive and unhelpful as weight can fluctuate for all sorts of reasons (hydration, hormones etc) on a daily basis. Once a week at the same time in the same conditions (nekked first thing on a Saturday morning for me!) will give you a trend. But do what works for you and your mental health!

Oh of course, I never weigh daily. :) Usually once a week but I just don't even bother the week of my period, so sometimes I just weigh every two weeks due to that.
  • MissGamerGirl
    Options
    I'm glad you were able to find a starting point for your macros. One way I try to keep around goal, but keep my protein goal in check is to plan around the protein. If I know I can hit that, I can fill in the rest of the calories with carbs or fat and keep under the calories.

The typical goal is to lean down first and then add lean mass once you are at an appropriate BF%. The Eat, Train, Progress once had a BF% estimation thread and they are pretty good at giving an visual estimate.

You can still make strength gains on a deficit and since you are just starting out, much of the initial progress will be teaching the body how to fire the right nerves to lift and making those connections. You will get stronger by building those connections. Gains will start to slow down eventually, but that is typical when you reach heavier weights anyway. Busting through stalls can be easier when well fed, but isn't impossible during a cut.

A 10% cut isn't a huge cut and should give you a good balance. Try it for a month and see what your measurements do. Adjust the calories up or down based on your actual results since TDEE calculations are just estimates.

This is a good idea! I will try this, thank you. :) I'm also in the process of getting myself into the habit of tracking my days calories the night before so I can plan my macros accordingly.
  • MissGamerGirl
    Options

If you increase your protein intake, you will be MORE full while still staying under your calories for the day. For instance, chicken breast:

Chicken Breast (Boneless, Skinless) , 1 ounces 36c 7p 1f 0c 0

So if you eat 6 ounces of chicken breast that's only 216 calories, but 42g of protein! That is EXTREMELY filling, you will be shoveling your face with food and wanting to quit, I promise.

Everybody underestimates how satiating protein is until they actually try a high protein diet.

And yes you can make gains during a cut. I'm increasing my lifts every day while cutting 10 pounds.

I will say that I've noticed that since eating more protein, I havn't had hardly any food cravings like for sweets and things. I might consider shifting my carb ratio but I feel that 30C would be a little difficult for me to sustain w/o going over.
  • UpperBodyLowerBody
    Options
    It's only hard if you don't try. I'll be honest just from looking at your diary - you don't really seem to stress protein intake. Most everything you eat looks pretty carb heavy with just some protein thrown in. If you concentrated on making even a little bit of shift from your carbs to protein, I think you'd achieve what you're after more easily. Right now you have your goals set, but you often go over on carbs and under on protein anyway so you're not even eating the ratio you set - it's even more carb and less protein. Really try to meet your goals you have set now.
  • MissGamerGirl
    Options
    It's only hard if you don't try. I'll be honest just from looking at your diary - you don't really seem to stress protein intake. Most everything you eat looks pretty carb heavy with just some protein thrown in. If you concentrated on making even a little bit of shift from your carbs to protein, I think you'd achieve what you're after more easily. Right now you have your goals set, but you often go over on carbs and under on protein anyway so you're not even eating the ratio you set - it's even more carb and less protein. Really try to meet your goals you have set now.

Interesting, since many of my new MFP weightlifting friends with kickass bodies have congratulated me on my eating progress so far.

True, my carbs do tend to go over, especially on the days I ate pizza and a burger. I'm, what, two weeks into this new lifestyle change requiring me to adjust my eating and to lift? Last week was the first time I even touched a barbell. I've never previously calculated macros in my life. Sorry that I havn't achieved perfection right out of the gate with my macros.

Also, I'm not following the 1g of protein per bodyweight idea. I'm doing 2g of protein per kg as recommended by NROLFW. That doesn't even reach 140g of protein.

You make it sound like I'm not touching protein at all. The lowest days I have since starting to focus on macros and lifting (which is not when I started logging) are 105g, but others are 125g, and even up to 142g - over 1g per lb of bodyweight. I am eating greek yogurt, ricotta cheese, protein bars, protein shakes, milk, meat, egg whites...I know what protein is and I know how to get it into my diet, thanks.
  • UpperBodyLowerBody
    Options

Interesting, since many of my new MFP weightlifting friends with kickass bodies have congratulated me on my eating progress so far.

True, my carbs do tend to go over, especially on the days I ate pizza and a burger. I'm, what, two weeks into this new lifestyle change requiring me to adjust my eating and to lift? Last week was the first time I even touched a barbell. I've never previously calculated macros in my life. Sorry that I havn't achieved perfection right out of the gate with my macros.

Also, I'm not following the 1g of protein per bodyweight idea. I'm doing 2g of protein per kg as recommended by NROLFW. That doesn't even reach 140g of protein.

You make it sound like I'm not touching protein at all. The lowest days I have since starting to focus on macros and lifting (which is not when I started logging) are 105g, but others are 125g, and even up to 142g - over 1g per lb of bodyweight. I am eating greek yogurt, ricotta cheese, protein bars, protein shakes, milk, meat, egg whites...I know what protein is and I know how to get it into my diet, thanks.

lol I'm only going off of what you've logged for the last month and what your goals are set to.

BTW eating protein makes you less crabby.
  • randomtai
    Options

lol I'm only going off of what you've logged for the last month and what your goals are set to.

Nm... not worth it. :noway:
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options

Okay, that's enough. You certainly talk the talk about eating protein, but your diary has many days well under your goal as well so if I were to only go off of that, I would guess your lower protein days are the cause of why you post replies like the one quoted. You know low protein makes you "crabby," right? You also fluctuate in calories quite a bit. And you know what? I don't care that you do that. It is your diary and they are not always complete, accurate or even set to goals representative of what the person is really doing. It is simply a tool and can be used as a person sees fit and not always the ground truth of what a person is putting in their mouth. You are doing what you find works for you. The OP is working on what she feels is best for her and doesn't need your snarky comments criticizing her approach. Please step off of your high horse on this matter and move on, you do not need to be the protein intake and diary police.
  • UpperBodyLowerBody
    Options
    QQ
  • randomtai
    Options
    QQ

Why come to a group and be a *****?
  • UpperBodyLowerBody
    Options
    QQ

I didn't say a single mean thing. Sorry if you think I did, but I didn't.
  • randomtai
    Options
    QQ

I didn't say a single mean thing. Sorry if you think I did, but I didn't.

Jennifer-Lawrence-Nod-Yes.gif
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    Ublb, you are either oblivious to your tone, despite a pm from me, or you are trolling. We are not feeding trolls. Please consider this your final chance to play nicely.

OP, I am locking this thread as we don't need the drama. Please do start a new one if you have more thoughts and questions.
This discussion has been closed.