Tips on waking up your foods

Options
newday1981
newday1981 Posts: 41 Member
Fortunately there are ways to make your low calorie foods taste better without adding many calories. You can season food more with herbs (fresh or dry) , marinate meats in fruit juices or wine ( which will also tenderize meat) and try vinegar for your salads. With intense flavors from vinegar/vinaigrette's or a small amount of olive oil you will need less dressing. Also salsas and tomato based vegetable sauces are great alternatives to cream and butter sauces. Using a tomato based sauce to add flavor to meats and side dishes.

There are other healthful cooking techniques like baking, broiling or grilling your meats and vegetables try cutting out oil when sautéing by using a non-stick pan. Sweating out onions and other veggies by cooking them over low heat in a little stock.

When preparing your meal think of ways you can change the standard recipe to fit your caloric intake with out sacrificing flavor. Try some of the above tips to add flavor and make the meal satisfying.

Just remember that small changes make a huge difference!

Replies

• CassandraEldridge
    CassandraEldridge Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I use a lot of fresh herbs in my cooking. I also use pam nonstick cooking spray (zero calories)
  • kwagzzz
    Options
    What do you think is the best way to make flavorful chicken? I tend to bring lunch to work and make chicken at the beginning of the week. If I bake it, it always dries out =( but if I make it on the stove top in a frying pan and cover it, it's pretty tender but no flavor. Any suggestions that are healthy?
  • newday1981
    newday1981 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    What do you think is the best way to make flavorful chicken? I tend to bring lunch to work and make chicken at the beginning of the week. If I bake it, it always dries out =( but if I make it on the stove top in a frying pan and cover it, it's pretty tender but no flavor. Any suggestions that are healthy?

I would suggest using Light Italian dressing as a marinade/seasoning for your chicken. The dressing is full of flavor including garlic, onion and bell peppers it also includes a bit of oil, that will help to keep your chicken moist and flavorful. I usually pour the dressing over the chicken and bake it covered in the oven until done.

There are 25 calories in a 2 tbsp serving of Kraft Light Zesty Italian Reduced Fat Dressing.

Hope this helps!