Eating Out*

Options
newday1981
newday1981 Posts: 41 Member
Eating out:

Restaurant meals may represent the temptation to pull away from your daily routine of staying within your calorie goals. However remember although eating the right foods and maintaining a healthy balance in your diet can be a major challenge, it can be done. Some restaurants and even fast food places offer choices that can meet your needs. With calories listed on the menu or available by request. Tips for not “blowing” all of your daily calorie intake include:

Taking your time when ordering your meal, think ahead and read the nutritional values; calories

Plan ahead and check online for the restaurant’s menu with calorie information included

Order water with a slice of lemon, soda has lots of sugar and calories

Pass on the bread basket or chips ask that the waitress remove the bread/chips from the table

Be the first to order choosing your health conscious meal before others to avoid being tempted to change your mind after hearing what they order

Order salad without the restaurant dressing so you can portion the dressing or use vinegar/olive oil to dress your salad

Order foods that are prepared without sauces to save on calorie intake

Order half portions when available OR order 2 small appetizers like a salad and shrimp cocktail.

Try a lean meat or fish; Remove the skin from poultry

Try a baked, steamed, broiled or grilled version of your favorite meal

Ask for double portions of the vegetable; skip the French fries or creamy side dishes

For dessert ask for seasonal fresh fruits, withholding the whipped cream or sugary toppings

Remember that alcoholic beverages have calories too, be aware of the mixers and ask for fruit juice instead.

Ask yourself questions about the food you are going to consume; Is there a low calorie version of this meal, can it be made without the sauce, should I order a half portion?

Challenge yourself to a set amount of calories for the whole outing

Eat slowly and savour your meal. Enjoy!

Replies

• brooksn20
    Options
    Great topic as I am going out for dinner tonight!!! :)

this is a list of healthy dining out options i was given by my doctor so i thought i would throw it out there:

Italian : Pasta with red sauce and a green salad with fat free dressing

mexican: soft taco with grilled chicken or shrimp.... tortilla soup (without cheese) ..... grilled fajitas chicken, shirmp, veggies.... stay away from chips and dont add cheese

chinese: grilled or steamed veggies with chicken or shirmp and 1/2cup of steamed white or brown rice soy sauce is ok but ask for no oil.... spring rolls (not fried).... lettuce wraps

california cuisine: lemon herb grilled chicken breast or fish and steamed veggies or a salad with fat free dressing

sandwhiches: house salad 1/2 sandwhich- turkey breask with lettuce tomato mustard onions and fat free mayo ...stay away from croissants
  • CassandraEldridge
    CassandraEldridge Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Being a vegetarian (aspiring Vegan) I find that removing meat or dairy products from any meal dramatically reduces the calories.

What I find helpful is when I do the research ahead of time write it down in a little book and put it in your purse, that way next time you go to that restaurant you already did the leg work.

I do this for my fav restaurants so I can easily order a veg meal. :heart:
  • brooksn20
    Options
    I was wondering if we had any vegetarians! Would you find it helpful if we included vegetrian options when we make new posts?
  • CassandraEldridge
    CassandraEldridge Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    You don't have to. I find that I have to do most of my own legwork in this day and age. It would be nice though :wink: