Microscopic colitis and IBS and low fodmaps

Options
Kallie3000
Kallie3000 Posts: 33 Member
Hey there!
I'm back to myfitnesspal after a hiatus away. It was recommended after a visit to a registered dietician, who finally gave me some concrete advice about what to eat with my disorder. I've been on a low fodmaps diet for two weeks, looking forward to see if there are many changes. At the very least, low fodmaps is a good 'forced' healthy diet, and I've already lost a couple pounds, which is nice.

How about you guys, what's up? Have you tried a low fodmaps diet and did it work? What stomach issues do you have?

Replies

• wellen31
    wellen31 Posts: 1
    Options
    I've looked into FODMAPs but never really followed through. I was diagnosed with IBS years ago but know that it is just a name for symptoms of my neverending battle with stomach and digestion issues. I cannot eat gluten, lactose, or any food that causes gas or bloating. I often look about 5 months pregnant and I am a size 4! It's all gas built up and it happens after I wake up and slowly builds until I am huge by the afternoon and in pain. Please tell me more about your success and how the diet works.
  • Kallie3000
    Kallie3000 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I am definitely finding some success on the low FODMAPs diet, in combination with drugs (currently taking pentasa 4 g/day and trying to get off of Entocort, currently at 3 mg/day) as well with different therapies such as acupunture, stretching class, psychologist for anxiety, and other relaxation and health related stuff.

I have found that with the drugs and reduced stress, THEN the low FODMAPs seems to help a lot. If I have an anxiety filled day or event, however, it doesn't matter what I've eaten, I'll feel terrible and get diarhea again. Right now it is off and on, changing throughout the day from having no gas and cramps and no diarhea to watery diarhea, back to none. Before I would only have cramps, bloating and diarhea, all day every day!

I would DEFINITELY recommend going through a dietician, to get their help to make a low FODMAPs diet that works for you. Or check out my meals, but remember that you can add/change things you like or don't like. Consistency is key, and low portion sizes really helps.