fibromyalgia blood test

Options
Has anyone had the fibromyalgia blood test? I just got the results of my FM/a test today and it confirmed that I do indeed have fribro. It said that a level of 51 is the cut off, and I was 57. I have no idea what these numbers mean exactly, though I guess they refer to some immunologic markers. I'm just starting my research and would love to learn more from this group.
Amber

Replies

• potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I did not know that there was a blood test now. I'll definitely be interested to hear more.
  • amberwaves74
    Options
    It's only a year old. Here's a link...
    http://thefmtest.com/the-fibromyalgia-test-fma/
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    I went to an immunology clinic the other day and there seems to be better information becoming available. Unfortunately it is not generally pooled so all sufferers of various issues can benefit. Many are left struggling in the mire of conflicting ideas.
  • MsWallwoman
    Options
    I have heard that they are trying to find way of confirming the diagnosis, but that is seems to be so individualized that its hard to determine. The medical profession doesn't totally understand Fibromyalgia and everything that it encompasses yet.. but hopefully soon :huh:

This is a link that I found with some Fibromyalgia information that might help understand it a little bit...

http://www.cfpcnvideos.ca/fibro/
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I read up on the test after I saw it posted about here. I guess it might be helpful to new sufferers or maybe those who are trying to get some kind of disability payments. Other than that, I don't see that it would be that helpful, mainly because of the caveat that they did not test it on patients with certain other diseases, so, as I understand it, it is possible that a positive might mean positive for something else.

I am also concerned that it might be crushing to get a negative when you have been suffering from this thing as long as I have. There is a fair percentage of false negatives, like any other test.

Besides, it doesn't really mean that there is any good treatment available.
  • Stikemice
    Stikemice Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    MsWallwoman, that is one of the best Fibromyalgia videos I have seen yet. Explained so much in an easy to understand way! Thanks!