Feeling REALLY hungry since beinging Stronglifts?

Options
viglet
viglet Posts: 299 Member
Is it all in my head? I honestly have been feeling RAVENOUS!

My protein intake has been pretty spot on, but I have just been craving those damn carbs like no ones business!!!!

Am I alone?

*Beginning

Replies

• chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    That's normal especially after deadlift days. I try to make sure I get my fats and protein in first (and I go with "food fats" like avocado, nuts, or peanut butter---olive oil isn't filling! :wink: ) and then do the carbs. As long as you're hitting your calorie and/or macro goals, play around with different food combinations and sources to see what works the best for you.

ETA: Lentils are incredibly filling for pretty low calories. 1 cup of cooked lentils with 100g of chicken and I'm full up most of the day.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    No, you are not alone.

Deadlifts get a lot of people hungry. As the weight gets higher for me, I find I often have to increase my calories to keep up.
  • rlw911
    rlw911 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Nope, you're not alone! If I lift in the evenings, I'm hungry the next day. If I lift in the mornings, I'm hungry the rest of the day!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Eat more. Your body burns energy doing the repair and regrow part of muscle recovery.

Another important thing is to eat after your workouts, because a lot of people find they get excessive hunger if they don't have good post-workout nutrition. A meal with both carbs and protein is best post-workout.
  • viglet
    viglet Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Good to know I am not alone!

I actually work out at night after my daughter is in bed (8ish or 9ish) so my calories are already used up for the day. I probably should save some calories for a good snack afterwards so I don't feel like this the next day.

I did deadlifts last night so that might be why I am feeling like I could eat a whole damn cow. mmmmmmm
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options

I actually work out at night after my daughter is in bed (8ish or 9ish) so my calories are already used up for the day. I probably should save some calories for a good snack afterwards so I don't feel like this the next day.

I did deadlifts last night so that might be why I am feeling like I could eat a whole damn cow. mmmmmmm
    You'll probably still be hungry. I deadlifted a new PR Tuesday night, ate a solid dinner, and then spent all day yesterday in prowl and devour mode. Maybe plan to have the next day be a higher-calorie day for recovery?

Also, carbs? Show me a lifter who's strong without carbs, and I'll show you somebody who would be stronger with carbs.
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I deadlifted this morning and my usual bacon/egg/cheese on a bagel thin only lasted me until just after 11 (I ate it about 8:15). Normally it lasts me for much longer. But I just ate lunch so now I'm happy.
  • wendypow
    wendypow Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    No, you are not alone.

Deadlifts get a lot of people hungry. As the weight gets higher for me, I find I often have to increase my calories to keep up.

With a pizookie? Seriously..your profile pic is not helpful. :laugh:
  • cpiton
    cpiton Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    You'll probably still be hungry. I deadlifted a new PR Tuesday night, ate a solid dinner, and then spent all day yesterday in prowl and devour mode.

Prowl and devour mode is the perfect way to describe me after any deadlift day. I burn through everything I eat. You are definitely not alone. ;)

edit: fix quote
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options
    No, you are not alone.

Some people are actively trying to get more calories. I think a pizookie would be extremely helpful for those people!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Also, carbs? Show me a lifter who's strong without carbs, and I'll show you somebody who would be stronger with carbs.
    I think this is my new favorite quote...
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Yah that was me on thursday...after pushing it hard Wednesday...I have my calories set to TDEE-20% but am at TDEE-15%...

I know why not just set it like that right??? cause then I would go to TDEE-10%...:laugh:

I put on my Status thursday I could eat everything...someone posted...eat ice salad (wtf is ice salad) and lettuce....

Im like no I am eating real food...and I did Chicken Fajitas with lots of chicken, cheese, greek yogurt and veggies.. a huge one...12 incher at that....:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options
    I think this is my new favorite quote...
    Totally not mine. I got it somewhere off the interwebz.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Options
    Yah that was me on thursday...after pushing it hard Wednesday...I have my calories set to TDEE-20% but am at TDEE-15%...

I know why not just set it like that right??? cause then I would go to TDEE-10%...:laugh:

I put on my Status thursday I could eat everything...someone posted...eat ice salad (wtf is ice salad) and lettuce....

Im like no I am eating real food...and I did Chicken Fajitas with lots of chicken, cheese, greek yogurt and veggies.. a huge one...12 incher at that....:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    I have to set my goal at TDEE-20% so that I end up at TDEE. :laugh:
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    No, you are not alone.

:laugh: Yeah, I often increase with cookies. The cookie in my pic is called a "Cookie Smash" from the Public House restaurant. Chocolate chip cookie half baked in a cast iron skillet topped with vanilla ice cream and chocolate sauce. It is, without a doubt, one of my favorite desserts.
  • wendypow
    wendypow Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    No, you are not alone.

:laugh: Yeah, I often increase with cookies. The cookie in my pic is called a "Cookie Smash" from the Public House restaurant. Chocolate chip cookie half baked in a cast iron skillet topped with vanilla ice cream and chocolate sauce. It is, without a doubt, one of my favorite desserts.

Yep I'm well acquainted with that dessert! We call them "pizookies" (pizza + cookie). I make them often enough that I created a recipe so I can at least enter in the correct calories on MFP! :bigsmile: