Birth Announcement 1/26/14

Options
MandaLee8908
MandaLee8908 Posts: 1,353 Member
Sorry this is so late...I am usually using my phone so I don't have access to the boards. My due date was 1/27 but Noah came a day early on the 26th :-)

So here's how little Noah exited the "Ark"...

I had contractions sporadically throughout the night on Saturday January 25th that started to wake me up. About 5:30am, I couldn't sleep anymore so I got up to walk around a bit. At that point they were 6-7 minutes apart and showed no signs of stopping (usually walking around would stop my contractions). Around 8am, I woke hubby up to let him know that today was probably the day. I showered and got dressed as did hubby.

We went to the hospital I work for just to get checked out...I wasn't sure how far dilated I was and the nurses I work with offered to check me before we went to the hospital where I was going to deliver. I was only 2-3cm. Ryan wanted to go to church, but the contractions were too much for me to focus, so we went to his brother's house instead (he lives closer to the hospital). After some lunch, contractions were coming about 2-3 minutes apart. We headed to the hospital at 3pm and while in triage, they checked my cervix...I had reached 5cm. My water still had not broken. They set me up in a delivery room with a labor tub as I had asked. Sadly, my doctor was on vacation so I had one of his associates instead. At about 6cm, they gave me 10mg of Nubain via IV. I hadn't planned to have an IV, but I was Group B Strep positive and had to have antibiotics. By the time they got the IV meds in me and tub ready, at about 5:30, I was dilated to 8cm so I was too far along to go in the tub. My first bag of water broke around then and the nurse broke the other bag, which took me from 8 to 9cm in no time.

I was stuck at 9cm for an hour and a half. My cervix had slight swelling and the lip was around Noah's head...they couldn't get it to reduce. At this point I need to push, but they won't let me. I hate to say it, but I was pushing anyway lol. Finally they let me start pushing at about 8:10pm. I didn't have a mirror, but the one light in the delivery room had metal backing so I could see when Noah started to crown...that was my motivation to push. At 8:33pm, Noah was finally here. The cord was wrapped around his neck once, but it wasn't tight enough to cause any damage. His APGAR scores were perfect. He was 8lbs 12oz and 22in long. PERFECT. :-)

Replies

• mrs_n0rris
    mrs_n0rris Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Yay baby Noah! It's funny how the things we plan for never seem to work out but i'm glad he was healthy! I hope you're both doing well :)
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! What a darling little face.
  • rachael116
    Options
    Congrats to you, your family and Noah!! Best of luck :)
  • rainysue34
    rainysue34 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Enjoy your new little one!
  • MandaLee8908
    Options
    Thanks everyone! we've had some nursing issues but things are going much better now :-) I can't wait to see how much weight he's gained at his almost-3-week appointment this Friday!
  • claire_donegal84
    claire_donegal84 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, Noah is gorgeous! Hope you're both doing well.
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Awww! Congrats!
  • MandaLee8908
    Options
    Noah may have something called laryngomalacia...or "floppy epiglottis". His symptoms have gotten worse so I am calling his doctor in the morning. We will probably have to go to an ENT and have a scope done. :-/
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I once worked with a child who had that. It was awhile ago but if I remember correctly, some speech therapy to help with feeding was prescribed and worked pretty well for her.
  • MandaLee8908
    Options
    I hate not having access to a computer...why don't they give us the community option on the mobile app?!?!

To update, Noah has a very mild case of laryngomalacia. We aren't treating it right now...I just switched his nursing position a bit to alleviate some of the gagging. He's growing really well, although he is still in the lower percentile range for both weight and height. I'm not too worried as that tends to happen with breastfed babies for the first few months.

I'm going back to work on Monday and am dreading it. Hubby is staying home with Noah, so that's nice, but I really wish it was me. Oh well...do what you gotta do, right?