Antelope Canyon 50

Options
jturnerx
jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
I thought I'd share with you all my race report for the Antelope Canyon 50 Mile. It was held this past Saturday in Page, Arizona by Ultra Adventures. In the "Back-to-Back" thread there was some discussion about running being more than about PR's and this race seems timely to answer some of those questions for myself.

http://coffeemoneyrunning.blogspot.com/2014/02/antelope-canyon-50-mile.html

Replies

• fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. I know you had a hard time mentally during the race but it is amazing, you completed it! Great job!
  • sarahc001
    sarahc001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Great race report! I have been intrigued by slot canyons- the thought of running an ultra in and around one sounds amazing. Clearly a tough course- great job!
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Unbelievable! Amazing story and fantastic pictures. I have vacationed around that area before and love it. Thank you for sharing.
  • jturnerx
    Options
    Thanks you all. There was probably only 10-12 miles that weren't on soft sand so that, as you read, was very challenging. It's so strange but I can barely remember my own phone number but during an ultra I remember the tiniest details and conversations.
  • KateRunsColorado
    KateRunsColorado Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I thought about doing the 50K of this race, and saw a few videos on facebook that Ultra Adventures posted - it looked amazing!

But, your post just reassured me that I definitely want more experience before tackling a race like this (it would've been my first ultra)...

I'm doing a 33K in Moab this weekend, and then my first 50K again in Moab on March 22nd. I hope I survive! I love SW Utah though, so even if they're killer tough, at least I'll have amazing views!
  • jturnerx
    Options
    But, your post just reassured me that I definitely want more experience before tackling a race like this (it would've been my first ultra)...

Elevation gain is an easy metric to look at to determine how hard a course might be. I saw the 50 mile had about 4,000 feet which for me seemed like a piece of cake since most 50 milers in my area have easily two times that or more. Oh, I could not have been more wrong. This was easily the hardest 50 miler I've done.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Amazing! We visited there this summer. Just hiked and kayaked into the canyon, but it was the most breathtaking scenery I have every seen. I'm sure it was challenging and amazing at the same time. Congrats!