The Crucible

Options
Currently I am reading an Arthur Miller play, the Crucible. Anybody read this? I found the old paperback in my parent's collection of books, and I thought I'd give it a go. The story takes place during the Salem Witch trials; a fascinating time and subject. I enjoyed the Scarlet Letter, and the Witch of Blackbird Pond was one of my childhood favorite titles.

I am a little more than 1/2 through the story, and the twists of the plot are very well done! The drama is interesting and passionate without seeming overdone or pretentious. The play is a quick read, and is not difficult to understand. Although I would enjoy seeing this performed, The Crucible reads like a dramatic novel.

Would you read this? Anybody read Death of a Salesman, another play by the same author? Do you think I would like it?

Replies

• handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    I read both when I was in high school. I remember little of the crucible and more of death.I had to do papers on both. I do recall moment then both.
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I liked both very much. Although they're different, if you like his style, you'll probably like Death too.

ETA: It has much fewer twists though, but the psychological suspense is there
  • erinbartholomew5
    erinbartholomew5 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Just finished the story. Think I have to check out Death of a Salesman!