chicken breast RECIPES

Options
joan23_us
joan23_us Posts: 263 Member
that doesn't pile up the calories....

we all know chicken breast is a great source of protein, only problem is it taste bland if cooked bodybuilding style... steam that is, so the purpose of this thread is to take out the gourmet chef in each and everyone of you to post your recipe on how you cook your chicken breast without piling up the calories so much... 10 grams of carbs or less marinade mixes per serve is optimal in my opinion. I usually marinade mine with teriyaki sauce any brand will do as long as the per serve of the marinade doesnt exceed 10 grams of carbs per serve of 15ml. That's the easiest i can think of how i cook my chicken and its getting boring quickly... YOUR HELP will be much appreciated... :happy:

Replies

• mel5580
    mel5580 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I actually like to cut my chicken into chunks and marinate them in different fresh squeezed citrus juice..I will mix fresh orange, fresh grapefruit and fresh lemon juice with pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and parsley and maybe a little agave to balance out the sour juices...let marinate for 24-48 hours and then saute..it comes out so tender because the citrus breaks down the fibers in the chicken..really great taste...and good for a stir fry too...with lots of veggis..
  • TapouTFTW
    Options
    A good curry recipe can turn any ole boring meat dish into some special. Add in some rice (brown, yellow or white) and you have a solid, tasty meal without a lot of extra calories.

http://www.food.com/recipe/quick-curried-pork-chops-61176

This is an easy one we use. Substitute a half cup no sugar added applesauce for the apple. Makes it quick. We always make a double portion of the sauce :) We have used chicken, pork and home made meatballs with this sauce. If you like you curry with some heat, add some red pepper flakes to start. If you like it hotter, you can turn up the heat with peppers of your choosing.

Enjoy! :drinker:
  • joan23_us
    Options
    thanks guys, will try both.
  • bloodhoundlady
    bloodhoundlady Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    This is one of my favorites and I got this from skinny taste blog

Skinny Chicken Pesto Bake
    Skinnytaste.com
    Servings: 4 • Size: 1 piece • Old Points: 6 pts • Points+: 6 pts
    Calories: 236 • Fat: 11.5 g • Carbs: 2.5 g • Fiber: 0.5 g • Protein: 28.5 g • Sugar: 0 g
    Sodium: 491 mg (without salt)

Ingredients:

2 (16 oz total) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
    salt and fresh pepper to taste
    4 tsp Skinny Basil Pesto (see below) If using a store bought- a low sodium low fat version
    1 medium tomatoes, sliced thin
    6 tbsp (1.5 oz) shredded reduced fat mozzarella cheese
    2 tsp grated parmesan cheese

Directions:

Wash chicken and dry with a paper towel. Slice chicken breast horizontally to create 4 thinner cutlets. Season lightly with salt and fresh pepper.

Preheat the oven to 400° F. Line baking sheet with foil or parchment for easy clean-up.

Place the chicken on prepared baking sheet. Spread 1 tsp of skinny pesto over each piece of chicken.

Bake for 15 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in center. Remove from oven; top with tomatoes, mozzarella and parmesan cheese. Bake for an additional 3 to 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.

To Grill: Grill chicken over medium flame on both sides until cooked through in the center. Lower flame, top chicken with tomatoes and cheese, and close grill until cheese melts.

Forgot to add:
    Skinny Basil Pesto
    Skinnytaste.com
    Servings: 5 Serving Size: 1 tbsp • Old Points: 2 pts • Points+: 2 pts
    Calories: 86 • Fat: 8.3 g • Protein: 2.3 g • Carb: 0.8 g • Fiber: 0.3 g • Sugar: 0 g
    Sodium: 94 mg (without salt)

Ingredients:

1 cup basil
    1 clove garlic
    1/4 cup grated parmesan
    salt & pepper to taste
    2 1/2 tbsp olive oil

Directions:

In a food processor pulse basil, garlic, parmesan cheese, salt and pepper until smooth. Slowly add the olive oil while pulsing. Store in a sealed container and refrigerate until ready to use or you can freeze this in ziplocks bags to use at a later date.
  • nicnz
    nicnz Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    OOhh yummy, i love those type of dishes with chicken and pesto XD

Gonna have to hunt down a few recipes when get home from work :)
  • Giddy72
    Giddy72 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    i posted a crispy chicken recipe in the RECIPE's section.

give it a go
  • KatherinesRiver
    Options
    For one person I take one medium sized chicken breast (6oz.) and I cut it up in large chunks. Then I put them into a skillet and add enough pineapple juice mixed half and half with water to bring it up to about a half inch. I then take one ring of pineapple and cut it up in little chunks. Add fresh or dried parsley and simmer for 45 minutes or until done. I add the pineapple chunks the last 10 minutes. Make sure the liquid does not all simmer away! Add a little water as needed.

I serve this on one cup of wild rice. Very satisfying meal.
  • bloodhoundlady
    bloodhoundlady Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Sounds yum! Keep them coming. It seems I live on chicken and turkey!
  • rachelg145
    rachelg145 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    If you have kids, this is a winner with them, too:

Crush up some honey nut chex into crumbs (kids can help with this), add onion and/or garlic powder and oregano (generous amounts). Shake up the bag. Dip two-bite sized pieces of chicken in flour, then a mixture of dijon mustard and egg whites, then the 'bread crumbs' you just made. Spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray, lay out the chicken nuggets and lightly spritz the top of each with cooking spray. I usually bake at 375 or 400 for 7ish minute per side or until done. You can bread these and freeze them in portions, too, and bake them from frozen for a little extra time added on.

If you want a dipping sauce, mix plain greek yogurt (vanilla would probably work too and light sour cream also works) with real maple syrup and dijon mustard to taste.

The way I see chicken, if I'm already eating a healthy meat and a salad or veggies I can add some calories in the breading to make it very satisfying.
  • joan23_us
    Options
    nice, these recipes are all nice... keep them coming, thanks guys
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Use it in stir fries: cut chicken in strips, add your favourite vegetables thinly sliced, a bit of soy sauce, a hint of oil and your favourite spices, and you have a meal cooked in 10 minutes max, with very little fat. If you have a family to feed, adding rice or noodles is all it takes for turning this into a family dinner.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    You can also put the chicken in the food processor with a bit of onion and whatever herbs you have plus salt, add an egg if you want to, and make chicken burgers. I just brush them with olive oil and grill them.
  • will2lose72
    will2lose72 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Boneless, skinless chicken breasts in a slow cooker with nothing but your favorite jar of salsa poured on top. My favorite is Herdez brand. Cook away. You can even use the frozen chicken breasts w/o thawing them first. Just throw them in and give it some extra cook time. So many ways to use this...shred it for tacos, salads, throw some in a pita...or just serve as is with some sliced avocado. Super easy!
  • TapouTFTW
    Options
    I have a "go to" Southwestern Chicken Base that I use for all my Tex-Mex meals. It works well on tacos, taco salads, enchilada, tostadas, taco soup...

Two to three pounds of chicken (the bags of chicken work great for this)
    One can of crushed tomatos
    One can of green chilis
    About 9 tbs of cumin
    About 9 tbs of chili powder
    About 2 tbs of garlic salt

Put the chicken in a crock pot. Dump the canned ingredients on top. Sprinkle the spices on top. Put on low and walk away for four hours. Come back and shred the chicken with a fork, it will re-absorb the liquid in the pot.

I like to make a mixed salad, dump the chicken base in, add some taco sauce, a few slices of avocado and some pico. Tacos and tostadas are much the same, but I take a can of black beans and cook them with some spices and smash them. Makes a lower calorie "refried bean" that has a lot of flavor. Put the bean paste in first, then chicken then whatever.

If I make a crock pot of chicken, we can eat off it for days. When the pot is about half done I dump the contents into a soup pot, add three cans of beans (I prefer garbanzo, dark kidney, light kidney), another can of crushed tomatoes, more spices, a packed of ranch seasoning and water. Bring to a low simmer for 20 minutes and you have taco soup... which will last another three or four meals. Not only is this lower calorie and nutrient dense, it is very friendly on your wallet.
  • kacydanielle
    Options
    I chop mine into cubes, let it marinate in a bit of soyaki and sriracha sauce and then saute it with lots of vegetables and a bit more cause. It tastes great and you can eat it over a bowl of rice or noodles if you like.