Switching Schedules: Classic -> Lean

anu_active
anu_active Posts: 40 Member
Hi All,

I have been doing the Classic P90X3 schedule for 5 weeks now and I see very slow progress and inspite of giving myself a pep talk everyday I am getting more nervous about reaching my goal with the Classic schedule. My goal is to get to 68.5kgs (I now weigh 72 since 2 weeks). My loss in centimeters is also getting smaller and I have barely seen any change in the last 2 weeks.

I found my calorie burn per workout for week1 of block2 insufficient (I try to burn 300kcal in exercise per day) and I am really worried about not making significant progress (in cms and kgs) with P90X3 so I am switching to the Lean schedule.

Food: I eat under 1500kcal everyday and follow a high protein, low carb and low fat diet. (I have a compilation of recipes from the Beachbody workouts and Jillian Michaels' 30 day shred).

Any thoughts? Did you have a similar experience with Block 2 of the Classic schedule? HAs anyone (nearly) completed block2? if yes, what results have you seen?

Appreciate your insight!

Replies

• badbull69
    badbull69 Posts: 157 Member
    Hey there, Im in the same boat. Im doing classic, Im seeing 1lb/week lost. Its not that fast as I thought, compared to doing P90X. But Im gonna stick with the classic till I do all 90 days. How is your diet? Are you eating all your cals. I know for me, I ran out of P90X Result and Recovery and lost about 200 cals. per day. Plus, Im really sore. I'm gonna have to start buying it again, I do believe that is will help in recovery.

I have seen minimal changes in my body. The only numbers that have really changed are my bicep measurements. But looking at myself in the mirror I can see my shoulders are becoming more defined. Remember, if you are eating correctly, your gonna be adding a little muscle.

My thought would be stay classic, just watch your calorie intake/burn.

You can add me if you like.
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    I do not know , but I am thinking about this switch too. I am finishing my 3rd week today , and so far nothing here either. In fact I gained 2 lb on the first week , which probably water-weight, but nevertheless, it doen's see to go away.
    I am eating 2100 cal based on the nutrition plan, with high protein lowish carb.
    Originally I planned to do full 90 days classic, and than do the lean schedule. Now, I am not sure I'll do that. maybe I should just switch over now.
  • Smoked33
    Smoked33 Posts: 186 Member
    I'm going to play devil's advocate here and believe me I mean no disrespect, but a lot of time and effort went into designing this program and if you're not following it 100% how can you expect to see results?? The nutrition plan is very clear as to what your food intake should be in terms of calories but also macronutrient breakdown. The reason carbs are so high in this plan is because you need the energy to fuel muscle growth and quite simply to make it through the workouts. If you're only burning 300 calories a workout, I think your intensity is not where it could be. I watched/read a lot of documentation from the P90X3 test group and some of them were burning up to 1000 calories from the exercises(keeping in mind this was measured 1/2 hour after completion, but the averages were around 500-600 calories per person, per exercise. The average test group person lost 10% bodyfat in 90 days... hype? Maybe but I think you need to go all in and if after 90 days it doesn't yield the results you were hoping for...alter things and find your solution.

Again, no offense meant. I'm not seeing the results I thought I would after week 4 but I'm going to stay the course because I feel great, am getting stronger and I that's what it's about. Everything ever published/said by Tony or any Beachbody coach preaches doign the classic routine first and following the nutrition guide...to do otherwise and expect success is rolling the dice IMHO.

Good luck with whatever you choose.
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    I'm going to play devil's advocate here and believe me I mean no disrespect, but a lot of time and effort went into designing this program and if you're not following it 100% how can you expect to see results?? The nutrition plan is very clear as to what your food intake should be in terms of calories but also macronutrient breakdown. The reason carbs are so high in this plan
    is because you need the energy to fuel muscle growth and quite simply to make it through the workouts.
    Well, maybe this is news too you, but beachbody website nutrition tool often suggest lower carb (not deep keto diet) especially for women who primary goal is weight loss. If you work with a coach and sign up for club membership, those tools give you customized advice/meal plan to your own situation. For me personally , it recommended a meal plan called "low carb express", which is high protein(35-40%), lower carb (25-30)% . So having a lower carb is actually totally following the experts advice.
    If you're only burning 300 calories a workout, I think your intensity is not where it could be. I watched/read a lot of documentation from the P90X3 test group and some of them were burning up to 1000 calories from the exercises(keeping in mind this was measured 1/2 hour after completion, but the averages were around 500-600 calories per person, per exercise.
    Burned calories depend a LOT on the person. OP is a smaller size female, who never going to burn the amount as a 200 lb pure muscle athlete. I routinely stalk quite a few P90x3 folk diaries- many of them in my MFP friends list , and I have never ever seen that 1000 calori burn for anybody around here. thing they claim in the infomercial. 400 cal burn for a 1/2 cardio is great , and seems to be the norm. For the strength routine 250-350 is totally normal. after all it is 30 minutes workout.

The average test group person lost 10% bodyfat in 90 days... hype? Maybe but I think you need to go all in and if after 90 days it doesn't yield the results you were hoping for...alter things and find your solution.
    I think many of us keep hanging on everybody in the testgroup lost 10% body fat claim, but it is hard without seeing results. I am moody today, because it was my weight in day and again nothing :( Some man here dropping pounds nicely, but I yet to see a single female reporting the same. Also I read the beachbody website forum, and reading similar stories over there too. Having more muscle and getting stronger is great , but when you not even close to your goal weight, dropping the chub would be at least as or even more important.
  • badbull69
    . The reason carbs are so high in this plan is because you need the energy to fuel muscle growth and quite simply to make it through the workouts. If you're only burning 300 calories a workout, I think your intensity is not where it could be. I watched/read a lot of documentation from the P90X3 test group and some of them were burning up to 1000 calories from the exercises(keeping in mind this was measured 1/2 hour after completion, but the averages were around 500-600 calories per person, per exercise. The average test group person lost 10% bodyfat in 90 days... hype? Maybe but I think you need to go all in and if after 90 days it doesn't yield the results you were hoping for...alter things and find your solution.

I know about 500-600 cal. my heart rate monitor is rocking, but Im pushing harder then I think I did with P90X since its only 30 mins. And I have seen the cal. go up and over 1000 cal. 1/2 hour past finishing. As far as bodyfat. Im done 3.5% since starting, Im starting wek. 7 tonight. and will definitely take my carbs back up.
  • groundhawg
    groundhawg Posts: 121 Member
    Just remember, the muscles revs up your metabolism. You won't get the chub off without the muscle base. You WILL get there. Somebody posted an excellent article from Ms. Cha-lean about how (especially for females) gaining weight during a new workout regimen is normal. Its definitely something I have experienced every.single.time. I expect to see decent results during Phase 2, and then on the second 90 day cycle.

The test group people were under perfect conditions, I'm sure. They had the Shakeology, the absolute perfect meals, etc. Technically we could all do this in real life, but for most of us it just isn't going to happen. You just have to keep working at it and not be discourage. I'm actually not weighing for the whole first 90 days. I also stopped logging my food- I realized I would see I had "extra" calories and just eat through them.

To the original OP- initial weight gain is expected, if you are eating right and working hard you will lose the weight. From your number it seems you do not have MUCH to lose, and that does make it more difficult. The closer I get to my goal the more significantly my weight loss slows. Patience is a virtue, especially when you are making lifestyle choices. Do NOT let numbers panic you. My original goal was to get down to 130, but as I put on more and more muscle, and my frame begins to look like I want, I realize that I would be miserable at 130. I would not be able to eat the way I want, and frankly, with the kind of muscle that I want, it wouldn't be an appropriate size. Sure, I could pout, "Oh I wanted to be 130" but I LOOK 130, at 140lbs, I'm stronger than I would be, and I can still live life (which to me is eating more than boiled chicken everyday for weight maintenance). Sometimes the goals we set ourselves are both inappropriate and wrong, and when we hold on to them, it weakens our resolve for a better, healthier lifestyle.
  • badbull69
    Just remember, the muscles revs up your metabolism. You won't get the chub off without the muscle base. You WILL get there. Somebody posted an excellent article from Ms. Cha-lean about how (especially for females) gaining weight during a new workout regimen is normal. Its definitely something I have experienced every.single.time. I expect to see decent results during Phase 2, and then on the second 90 day cycle.

The test group people were under perfect conditions, I'm sure. They had the Shakeology, the absolute perfect meals, etc. Technically we could all do this in real life, but for most of us it just isn't going to happen. You just have to keep working at it and not be discourage. I'm actually not weighing for the whole first 90 days. I also stopped logging my food- I realized I would see I had "extra" calories and just eat through them.

To the original OP- initial weight gain is expected, if you are eating right and working hard you will lose the weight. From your number it seems you do not have MUCH to lose, and that does make it more difficult. The closer I get to my goal the more significantly my weight loss slows. Patience is a virtue, especially when you are making lifestyle choices. Do NOT let numbers panic you. My original goal was to get down to 130, but as I put on more and more muscle, and my frame begins to look like I want, I realize that I would be miserable at 130. I would not be able to eat the way I want, and frankly, with the kind of muscle that I want, it wouldn't be an appropriate size. Sure, I could pout, "Oh I wanted to be 130" but I LOOK 130, at 140lbs, I'm stronger than I would be, and I can still live life (which to me is eating more than boiled chicken everyday for weight maintenance). Sometimes the goals we set ourselves are both inappropriate and wrong, and when we hold on to them, it weakens our resolve for a better, healthier lifestyle.

AWESOME response!

Even though I have in my head a number that I think would make me look great. That number is really insignificant. My ultimate goal is to melt the fat away and show off my abs. ( I know they are there, just gotta invite them out to play).
  • Smoked33
    Smoked33 Posts: 186 Member

I know about 500-600 cal. my heart rate monitor is rocking, but Im pushing harder then I think I did with P90X since its only 30 mins. And I have seen the cal. go up and over 1000 cal. 1/2 hour past finishing. As far as bodyfat. Im done 3.5% since starting, Im starting wek. 7 tonight. and will definitely take my carbs back up.

Awesome! I'm getting a HR monitor for my birthday in a few weeks and I plan to use it for each workout. Frankly if I'm not seeing over 500-600 then I'll be finding some more intensity for sure :) I just want to take the guessing out of it.

Anyways, I know everyone is different and we all need to do what we think is right...but if you changed it, and it's not working then I'm just saying you should ask yourself why you changed it?

I will admit the test group might not be the most realistic litmus test out there...they did work under optimum conditions but they do show what is possible.

Good luck to everyone doing X3... I'm just here trying to figure it all out and help if I can to inspire someone's transformation :)
  • anu_active
    anu_active Posts: 40 Member
    Thanks everyone for weighing in! It has been very helpful.
    Response to my calorie burn: I dont think I can burn anymore, my average heart rate in the cardio workouts is around 160 and my maximum heart rate is 173. At this point I'm "passing out"! So that gives me confidence that I'm trying my best.
    Indeed during the resistance workouts, my heart rate is not high enough and therefore I have a poor burn. This is why I want to switch to Lean.
    My take away: I need to be patient and more dedicated with my diet (more focus on macros).
  • vpanuccio
    vpanuccio Posts: 9 Member

Seriously Awesome Response!
    I would love to weigh 185 again but since loosing my initial 25lbs with P90X I sputtered through X2 and T25 was no fun as workouts get boring fast. I started X3 about seven weeks ago and actually gained 5lbs but I look better. My chest, Arms, back, shoulders, and legs are all showing results even though scale is moving down slowly.
    Having trained martial arts for years I seen guys drop weight for fights. I have worn trash bags to sweat water weight so scale would go down but I still looked the same pretty much. I am a 5'10 36 year old man so I really just want to be healthy and look fit so for me my goal is 190-195 lbs and now I am 200lbs. I think your right I would rather be 195 and look great with results in body fat loss than just look thinner at 185. I have worked out on with fighters who weigh 170 at fight night and walk around 195 because that is what their ideal weight should be with all the muscle they carry.
    Great example is UFC Fighter Georges St. Pierre who trains with my instructor in NYC when in the area. He fights at about 175lbs but walks around most the time 190-195 and its all muscle. The scale is never a good indicator because it can be easily fooled.