Lower Back

Options
columbus27
columbus27 Posts: 178 Member
I need to strengthen my lower back. And my box doesn't have a GHD. Any suggestions and routines would help.

Replies

• ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    The two things that jumped in my mind right away were supermans and squats. Have the coaches at your gym suggested anything?
  • MUALaurenClark
    MUALaurenClark Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts.
  • sayhitostephz
    sayhitostephz Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts are usually the number 1 movement that throws my back out. I've been doing banded good mornings (put a band around you neck and then step into with with both feet to make a triangle and bend over with a straight back, then stand back up). That seems to help strengthen my back, so that deadlifts don't put me out for 2-3 days.
  • MUALaurenClark
    MUALaurenClark Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts are usually the number 1 movement that throws my back out. I've been doing banded good mornings (put a band around you neck and then step into with with both feet to make a triangle and bend over with a straight back, then stand back up). That seems to help strengthen my back, so that deadlifts don't put me out for 2-3 days.

even light deadlifts? like just the bar? good mornings are more dangerous than deads
  • jordymils
    jordymils Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I was going to suggest good mornings, but just with a broomstick so no weight. And make sure you keep the curve in your lumbar spine. Either watch in a mirror or get someone to watch you and stop as soon as you start to lose that curve. Go only that far down. I find them really useful.
  • getfitsara
    Options
    I also have lower back problems. Here are my workouts and stretches I do at the Box and with my PT:

Knees to Bar (Chest in my case)- this helps strengthen the abdominals
    Stationary Lunges- this helps strengthen the hips/glutes
    Revolutions around the gym with #45 plate overhead keeping core engaged
    Plank holds, make sure your tail is tucked down (core)
    Prone Press Up (lay on your stomach and press up while keeping hips glued to the floor, hold for 10 seconds)
    Hollow Rocks
    Flutter Kicks
    Leg Raises
    Good Mornings (30 second hold, keep lumbar curve)
    LOTS of foam rolling

Stretches:
    Cat-Cow
    Lumbar spinal twist