Where do I even start?

Hi, I'm Sophie, I'm 18 and basically, I'd love to get into running, get up my fitness and generally be healthier. However, I have no idea where to even start with running?! I can run for around 15minutes at a moderate pace at the minute and I am aiming to run once or twice a week. Does anyone have any advice or tips of where to start getting into running, how to keep up motivation and gradually improve? Any help would be appreciated, thanks! :)

Replies

• katieacor
    katieacor Posts: 43 Member
    I would start with C25K. Love it! And then from there you can think of using Hal Higdon's training guides for running a Half or Full marathon! You can do this. Many blessings to you Miss Autumnflower!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    I suppose step one would be getting a shoe fitting from your running shop. Step two would be getting good running clothes. I would then find a plan. Try to stick with it, but remember it is not etched into stone. Rest if you need to rest, run if you feel like running. Then you can hit the streets that you know. Go slow. Set aside your run days and each week add another block to them. Mix it up a little too - go find a trail/park to run at, find a running group/club and make some friends, get more cool gear. Go slow. Build up your mileage and confidence. Run slow.
  • PrairieRunner2015
    PrairieRunner2015 Posts: 126 Member
    In addition to what has been said, ensure you maintain good muscle balance. (Perform strength training exercises like lunges, sqauts, planks......). If you eventually up your mileage, the muscle imbalances can lead to injuries. I wish I would've focused on maintaining a balance from the start. It would've helped prevent a couple of injuries I had.
  • mjpTennis
    mjpTennis Posts: 6,165 Member
    Awesome. Good luck. There is a Couch to 5k group on MFP too. Good shoes to go with your good attitude will take you far. For me the hardest part was committing to a time. So make sure you have a solid plan so that you can minimize the opportunities for other things to sabotage your workouts.