Picking a Name: How easy was it?

Options
So DH and I are currently in a stalemate with a name for our little girl. I've loved Harper for MONTHS. It was literally the first girl name that I came up with when I was 5 weeks pregnant. I've stuck with it, and liked it for this long. DH hated it at first so I stopped talking about it until we knew for sure what our baby was. About a week before we found out the gender, we each wrote up a list of Boy/Girl names that we liked and compared to see if we had any duplicates. We ended up narrowing it down to two girl names...Harper and Ella. We came up with Ella two days before the gender scan, and while I do like it, I don't like it as much as Harper and i'm really stuck on it. DH is stuck on Ella.

We've dropped the discussion for the time being because we knew we just weren't going to agree on it, but i'm geting impatient. Both of us have said for awhile that we wanted to come up with a name before the baby was born to help in the bonding experience. We are just one of those couples!

I have no idea what to do from here. I know we don't nee to rush, and I am not pushing DH at all but I feel like he's put it on the backburner and he's not even thinking about it. I've read several articles about what do to when you and your spouse don't agree and i've sent them to him (because they help give tips) but he didn't respond to any of them.

I'm just so frustrated and don't want to have to start all over again with the names!! Everyone I see is like "so, what's her name!?" and DH and I just look at eachother.

How easy was it for you? is anyone going through what I am?

Replies

• RatherBeInTheShire
    RatherBeInTheShire Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Oh.. I feel like I should mention that DH DID come around to the name Harper and said it really grew on him. Right after the gender scan he looked at me and said "Harper!" but I didn't want to make any rash decisions becasue we were on a emotional high (literally crying). By the time he got to work he had changed his mind to Ella.
  • amyjpage
    amyjpage Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    my husband and I started working on names when we found out we were expecting. We had some criteria to work with ... easy to spell, easy to pronounce and two syllables or less (husband's last name is a mouthful, 4 syllables and always spelled and pronounced incorrectly). We also knew we wanted to stay away from the popular names, and we wanted to honour his Italian heritage as best we could.

we finally narrowed it down to a few that we like ... but we're not going to make a decision until we see our little girl. so, while we are armed with 3 possibilities at the moment, 1 we selected right away, the other 2 have come over the last few months, we tend to discuss names almost daily as we see/hear new names that we hadn't otherwise considered.

For what it's worth ... Harper is increasing in popularity quickly! We have 3 different friends who have named their daughters Harper in the last 5 months and Ella is also very, very common (at least where we are ...) not sure if those are things to consider for you and your husband. (I do love both the names though!)

I wouldn't fret ... you still have lots of time and you never know, you could be reading the newspaper next week and come across a name you love and hadn't considered already and find it is the perfect fit!
  • usernameMAMA
    usernameMAMA Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    My husband and I had the same problem when picking our boy name. He eventually came around and let mommy pick it. He gets the middle name though.
  • RatherBeInTheShire
    Options
    Well it turns out after I posted this, DH came to a decision! He said "let's go with Harper!" so we are! I know that it's growing in popularity, but I know not a single Harper, nor do I know anyone that's having a Harper, or who already has a Harper! LOL
    Maybe it has to do with where we live. This is a small meat and potatoes town where everyone names thier kids very basic, common names. I am very happy with Harper.
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    We had settled on a girl name before I was even 6 weeks buy neither hubby or I could think of one boy name we like. After US and finding out we are having a boy, we started talking names again. Currently we still can't think of a name we agree on. Every name I like, he doesn't and vice versa. I can't be upset at him at all for shutting down every name I say because I am doing the same thing to him. Hopefully, we find the right name before he is born :)
  • RatherBeInTheShire
    Options
    Tigger - that's how it was for us at first too. He had names on list that I just went "no" and moved on. I just hated them.
    We each made a list of names we liked, and then we compared to see if we had any that overlapped and then worked from there.
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    We settled on a boy name pretty quickly, but the girl's name was tricky. Then we found out it was a girl and realized that now we absolutely did have to decide. :P

We pulled out the baby name book, took suggestions from family and friends, and we went through everything!

We only picked our name a couple weeks ago. (And we're keeping it a secret until after baby is born. I don't feel like listening to people picking apart the name.) It's common enough that it's easy to spell and pronounce, but it's uncommon enough that she'll probably be the only one or one of the few with the same name. :)

I hope you're able to pick between Harper and Ella!
  • RatherBeInTheShire
    Options
    We settled on a boy name pretty quickly, but the girl's name was tricky. Then we found out it was a girl and realized that now we absolutely did have to decide. :P

We pulled out the baby name book, took suggestions from family and friends, and we went through everything!

We only picked our name a couple weeks ago. (And we're keeping it a secret until after baby is born. I don't feel like listening to people picking apart the name.) It's common enough that it's easy to spell and pronounce, but it's uncommon enough that she'll probably be the only one or one of the few with the same name. :)

I hope you're able to pick between Harper and Ella!

We picked Harper!
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    Yay! Harper is a very nice name! :)