Article on exercise during pregnancy: Thoughts?!

Options
http://www.indoorcycleinstructor.com/icipro-instructor-training/icipro-team-member-articles/melissa-marotta/what-do-i-need-to-know-about-exercise-during-pregnancy/

I just found this article and I was wondering what everyone else's thoughts are....

I am still in the first trimester and have been continuing with my regular routine of heavy lifting, cardio and intervals. Of course, I pay extra close attention to how my body is feeling and don't push through like I normally would (for instance, one night I decided lifting was too much, so I did a little light cardio instead and called it good). I also had to take a couple of weeks off due to nausea, which caused me to lose weight because it was so difficult to eat. This is my second pregnancy and I gained a lot during and mostly after my first pregnancy. I want to do it differently this time, but I guess I have been having a difficult time figuring out what is considered "safe" during pregnancy. There are just so many conflicting ideas.

Replies

• DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I'm 30 weeks and I still do aerobics, step aerobics and Zumba, and I was doing spinning until a few weeks ago, but it just got a bit uncomfortable. I also go to the gym and do some strength training and cardio.

I stopped doing classes like boxercise and core stability earlier on because of the emphasis on abs exercises, and when I lift weights, I use much lighter ones now. I also keep the classes I do lower impact.

I think it's fine to carry on doing what you have been doing, but there are some things you do need to be careful with, and you know your body, so will know when to stop.

In my first pregnancy I used the gym until 34 weeks, but I stopped classes at about 12 weeks. In my second pregnancy I exercised very randomly, and I gained a lot of weight. This time I plan on using the gym and doing classes until 37 weeks, which is when I'll start a payment holiday from my gym just to save a bit of money for 3 months! Then I'll get back into it.
  • dewsmom78
    dewsmom78 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I had every intention of exercising more this pregnancy, but once I got past 20 weeks I lost interest. I did some walking but nothing strenuous. Now at 34 weeks I get winded going up and down our steps. I am doing some light weights, but nothing that makes me get too out of breath. Chasing our toddler and cleaning the house is exercise enough for me. Can't wait to be done being preggo, I want my body back.
  • hiba_84
    hiba_84 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Before getting pregnant I used to go for circuit training 3-5 times/ a week as well as walking and zumba (occasionally). Now my exercise routine is limited to walking 5-7 times/ a week. It feels safer to me.
  • TipTopMMR
    TipTopMMR Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Since the weather is bad, I do Leslie Sansone "walks" at home for about 45 minutes a day (3 or so miles) holding 3 lb weights the whole time.
    I also do the standing sections of Jillian Michaels No More Trouble Zones 2-3 days a week (about 25 minutes) for strength maintenance. I am 18 weeks now and still feel good, but looking forward to walking OUTSIDE, 3-5 miles a day, where I will likely hold 4 lb weights throughout. I have stopped all plyometric moves and do only modified ab work. I feel great!
  • rfrobertson
    rfrobertson Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I am 32 weeks and have continued my normal work out routine during my whole pregnancy so far which consist of 30-45 minutes cardio (I was running but it has became uncomfortable so I do the eliptical instead) and 30-45 minutes of weight training. I do use some lighter weights depending on the exercise and if I feel tired I will slow down but other than that I haven't changed anything other than of course ab exercises. My doctor told me whatever I was doing prior to becoming pregnant and what my body was used too was completely fine to keep doing. I have been working out for 3-4 years prior to pregnancy so I really don't feel like I'm pushing myself at this point. Only thing is I have to stop and pee a million times!
  • TygerTwoTails
    TygerTwoTails Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I am 32 weeks and have continued my normal work out routine during my whole pregnancy so far which consist of 30-45 minutes cardio (I was running but it has became uncomfortable so I do the eliptical instead) and 30-45 minutes of weight training.

What kind of weight training do you do?
  • rfrobertson
    rfrobertson Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I am 32 weeks and have continued my normal work out routine during my whole pregnancy so far which consist of 30-45 minutes cardio (I was running but it has became uncomfortable so I do the eliptical instead) and 30-45 minutes of weight training.

What kind of weight training do you do?

I work different muscle groups each day of the week so one day I'll do chest and shoulders with various exercises with weight machines or free weights/cables/kettlebells to work those areas, and then I'll have a day of bi's and tri's, back, lower body, etc. I try to mix it up with weight machines (which sometimes feel more stable for during pregnancy) and free weigths but I still use the squat rack and cables which have me using my own body for stablization. For free weights and dumbbells I usually use between 10-20 pounds depending on the exercise, same thing for kettlebells. On the weight machines I can tend to increase the weight a little more. I was squatting around 80 pounds prior to pregnancy but have lowered it to around 40 now. I was used to doing cross fit and really pushing myself to the limit prior to pregnancy so I defnitely feel like I've slowed down some and I've just made the accomodations for that.
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    This is just what my doctor told me and I have heard it from many others. It is what I have stuck with and I have been fine.
    Dont do anything you weren't doing before. If you have been running 4 times a week for months and then get pregnant, you dont have to stop - keep running exactly the same as you did before or less, just not more. If you were never a runner, dont start now. I did yoga, calisthenics, walking and a little cardio before getting pregnant. I have dropped the curlups and crunches (even though doctor says they are fine because I have been doing them a long time) I just dont like the way they feel. I still do yoga occasionally, try to walk every day, I stretch every day and do some basic workouts.
    Basically, take whatever you were doing before and do the same or less, not more, and dont start anything new.
  • MeanieD
    Options
    ^^ Exactly. My doctor and trainer told me the same thing. I was swimming, practicing yoga, lifting weights, and playing roller derby before I got pregnant. I obviously can't be hitting girls on skates anymore, but my doctor said I'm allowed to skate until I start feeling unsteady (probably third trimester).