How Often Do You Increase Calories While Bulking?

Options
burtnyks
burtnyks Posts: 124 Member
I'm currently having some trouble getting the scale to budge upwards. I pretty much do the same workout routine (for the most part)....duration, cardio etc. I've maintained the same weight at 2200, 2300, and 2400 calories per week. I don't know if I should keep upping the calories weekly until I see a gain or if I should sit tight at 2400 for a bit. I hate to completely overshoot and then find out my body just needs time to catch up. :-/

Replies

• HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    I think it varies for many here. Some will wait 3-4 weeks and those who do will tend to be bulking longer. I wait around 1-2 weeks depending on my fluctuation trends. I haven't waited as long due to the fact my bulk is only 16 wks long so having an increase more frequent is pretty vital.

I will be honest and say that many new to bulking are posting numbers pretty close to their actual maintenance. I honestly can't see someone making good, true gains with a solid lifting program on 2300 calories or less.
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I agree with Holly. My total bulk duration is 5 months (4 down, 1 to go!) And I'd increase after 2-3 weeks if the s scale was stalled.
  • sarahstrezo
    sarahstrezo Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Yep…what Holly said.
    I wait 2 weeks and then up my cals if there is no scale movement. And…be prepared, you'll probably have to continually up throughout depending on how long you keep at the bulk.
    I assumed my maintenance was 2300 and that I'd bulk at 2500. That only lasted so long and now I'm eating 2900+ to gain.
  • burtnyks
    Options
    Thanks! I am in this for all of 2014 so I have been a little hesitant to bump up calories too high. Guess I will give it another week and see if I need to bump up 100 again.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Sounds about right.

Also don't forget as you start to bulk- that threshold for maintance/bulk- it goes up. So 4 months ago- bulking was 2200 for me- now it's closer to 2500.

I waited 4 weeks- planning a 6 month bulk. It was a good decision- I probably could have gone with 3 weeks- but ultimately I only moved it a little and saw change over the month- but it's slow. But your body isn't going to react in one week the way you think- remember- weight gain and loss is not linear. It's jumpy.

other thing is if you are going for a dirty bulk of 500-700 plus calories suprlus- you'd probably want to make the adjustment sooner.

A clean bulk with only 200-400 calories surplus- you'll make it later- because it takes longer for the body to adjust.
  • burtnyks
    Options
    Good to know JoRocka, thanks! I'm definitely trying to do a clean bulk and want to keep the surplus to ~200-300 cals over. My last attempted bulk I think I went way too high and gained a lot of fat so it scared me off for awhile. I feel like my bodyfat is in a better place now where I won't completely freak out if I end up having to lose 10-12 lbs of fat at the end of this.