First workout done!

Options
merflan
merflan Posts: 216 Member
So went off and did my first workout today. When I went into Goodlife, said I signed up online and wanted to start he sat me down and asked what my goals were. I said I was starting the Stronglift 5X5 program. He was surprised and let me get right to it, lol. Not the usual sell they give you. I do need to have someone show me the squat machine next time though.

It was a good quick workout - but just a question.... is it really that quick for everyone? I was done in less than half an hour. Feel like I must be missing something.

Replies

• wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    It was quick for me in the beginning with the lighter weights. It maybe lasted about half and hour. Now that I'm getting heavier weights, the rest period between sets is longer, so it takes about 45 minutes to an hour.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    What do you mean squat machine? You should be using a squat rack and NOT the smith machine. (The bar should not be in a track but there should be safety bars that can catch it if you sit down).

Yes, it should be easy and 30-45 minutes with the light weights, but later it will take 45-75 minutes depending on breaks. Take your time and focus on form and stretching. If you have a weak core, than I would suggest some core work as well. If its already decently strong then you will be able to get to the weights where the compound lifts will strengthen everything all together and you will not need any core stuff.

ETA: Congrats on starting! You will soon be in love :-)
  • KaterinaTerese
    KaterinaTerese Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about machines -- have him show you how to squat using the free barbell.

So happy for you! The program seriously changed me. I was so depressed and disgusted with my life before I started it, and now I have something to look forward to every week, and feel as thought I AM the strong, capable woman that my mother always told me I was.
  • jennicole4
    jennicole4 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Glad you had a good experience with your trainer! Mine sucked! I've been at this program about a month and my workout time is starting to increase since I rest longer between sets now. I think you're on the right track! Use a squat rack, not a Smith machine. They are fairly straightforward and if you can't move the pegs, etc., someone should be able to show you how. The ones at my gym are hard to move and you have to hit the back with a plate to knock it out, but someone showed me the trick and now I just go ahead and do my thing!

I hope you love the program as much as I do! First time I actually look forward to it!
  • merflan
    merflan Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Yes I meant the squat rack, not the smith machine. I couldn't figure out how to move the bar down to my level. A really big guy was using it before I looked at it. Couldn't figure it out. At this point I'm able to lift 60 pounds over my head and onto my shoulders, but will need to figure it out once I get higher weights.