super duper dumb question? :x

Options
Hey ladies....I tend to constantly confuse myself and change my mind about what I want to do (bad bad!). Basically....I calculated my TDEE as being around 1700 using 10 weeks of data from Oct. - Dec., during this time I was doing You Are Your Own Gym 4-5 days a week (each session lasted no more than 30 min, usually less).

Now I'm doing Strong Curves 3-4 days a week (each session around 60ish minutes, give or take how much time I spend reading directions >.< lol). I would like to try to eat at maintenance for a while while doing this, but I'm not sure if it is still the 1700, as the formula in the Strong Curves book puts me at around 1950 for maintenance, and I'm guessing this program is probably more strenuous than the other one was.

Due to nothing other than a lack of self control :p, the past 3 weeks I've been eating around 1950 anyway, and I can definitely see water weight around the middle but obviously it hasn't been long enough to know how it will really affect me.

Sorry my train of thought is all over the place, but I guess I have two questions:

1. Any idea as to which number I should try for a few weeks as maintenance..will either be more or less beneficial for any reason?

2. My ULTIMATE goal is to build some more muscle mainly in the glutes but slightly all over so that I can get to the lower body fat I'd like to be at and look slim/lean without being scrawny. Right now I'm a low weight with quite a bit of jiggle, especially on the stomach, and not much definition (and not looking as lean as I want either). In order to achieve this I planned on doing a recomp, but I'm just wondering if a very short bulk (once I know what my maintenance is) and then a cut (the bulk being short enough that I still have time to cut before summer) would get me any progress. I know I'm not psychologically ready for a "real" bulk which is why I like the idea of a recomp, but would something short like that accomplish any noticeable muscle gain or would it be a waste?

Sorry that was long, and probably confusing, I'm just curious as to how this all works. Thanks! :)

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    cut the difference and call it 1800 for maintenance and see if it works for you.

Weigh maybe once a week or so- and take measurements- use the "how the clothes fit" method.

Figuring that stuff out is wildly trial and error- the formula's are guide's- it's not an exact science. lol- hence the trial and error aspect.

Since you are still new to lifting- I would just keep lifting and not worry so much about building muscle- but worry about getting your form straight and get your strength... go with the maintenance thing and see how it works- if you already have a fairly low body fat- just lift and eat. LOL LIFT ALL THE THINGS AND EAT ALL THE THINGS!!!! :D

I'd honestly worry about a true more focused bulk later.
  • aubyshortcake
    aubyshortcake Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    thanks, I appreciate the input! I think that sounds like a good plan, I do have a tendency to get ahead of myself lol. Now the real challenge is getting myself to actually eat at maintenance and not wildly over like I have been the past couple of weeks lol.. Valentine's Day was nothing short of a binge fest lol and tonight I'm going to a wedding, yikes! not to mention I ate all my Valentines chocolates for breakfast haha.. I need to reel it in quick before I slip back into old ways!
  • sarahstrezo
    sarahstrezo Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    cut the difference and call it 1800 for maintenance and see if it works for you.

Weigh maybe once a week or so- and take measurements- use the "how the clothes fit" method.

Figuring that stuff out is wildly trial and error- the formula's are guide's- it's not an exact science. lol- hence the trial and error aspect.

Since you are still new to lifting- I would just keep lifting and not worry so much about building muscle- but worry about getting your form straight and get your strength... go with the maintenance thing and see how it works- if you already have a fairly low body fat- just lift and eat. LOL LIFT ALL THE THINGS AND EAT ALL THE THINGS!!!! :D

I'd honestly worry about a true more focused bulk later.

Yep…agree with ^^^^
    also, you may find that once you are eating at maintenance (or close enough to), you won't find you have the urge to binge so much on things like chocolate.