Wrist Pain

Options
jennicole4
jennicole4 Posts: 90 Member
Hi ladies! I looked for this topic in the group but couldn't find it, so apologies if it's been covered before. My wrists have been really sore after workouts. My hands were killing me too. I got some gloves and have used them for one work out so far. I know some people are anti glove and some people like them. No chalk use at my gym though. My hands and wrists felt much better after using them and I am really trying to concentrate on keeping my wrists straight while lifting. It almost feels like the pressure on them it's too much since I'm not bending them at weird angles or anything. Anyway, my wrists are still in pain today. I'm going to work out, but am slightly worried that I am going my wrists will not get better. Is it something that they will get used to? Anyone have tips/experience? Fellow commiserators?

Replies

• girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    What particular lifts are causing you problems? It could be shoulder mobility or grip on the squat. For bench it can be grip or bar position in your hand.

You could try wrist wraps?
  • jennicole4
    Options
    I'm not sure which lifts are causing the problems because they generally feel ok while I'm working out. The pain comes later. If I had to guess, I'd say it's the bench press. The pain seems worse after Workout A. The gloves I have do have wrist wraps on them and they seemed to help. I am hoping that they will strengthen up and be ok. I just want to make sure I'm not damaging myself. Would form videos help? Not sure if I can get any since I workout alone, but I can try!
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Something that may put additional strain on your wrist is if you wrap your thumb around the bar while squatting. Also, the bench press might give you a bit of trouble. What I find helps is if I grip the bar super hard. That way the wrist stays straight throughout.

Something else that may help is to do sets of rubber band finger extensions between sets of gripping the barbell. It balances out the whole wrist and forearm tension. I'm actually thinking of getting hand-x-bands for that since the rubber bands quickly get awkward to use (or too easy).
  • rlw911
    rlw911 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're holding your wrists straight on BP, not bent back. If they're bent, it puts a lot of weight on your wrist. I have to work at it, especially on my left wrist, even when I think I'm gripping the bar properly. Here's a link to Mehdi's post on how to bench, where he shows where to grip the bar:

http://stronglifts.com/how-to-bench-press-with-proper-technique-avoid-shoulder-injuries/

HTH, so many little things to remember!!!
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    Can you get some video?
  • jennicole4
    Options
    Krokador, you were right, I was wrapping my thumb around the bar on Squats. I didn't do that this time & we'll see if it helps. I wrapped it around on OHP though because I was afraid if I didn't that I would drop the bar on my head! What about DLs? I wrap there too.

Cruisin - I will watch those on Tuesday before I bench. I'm not sure if I'm bending my wrist or not. I try not to, but who knows. Video will probably help so much.

I wasn't able to film myself, but I definitely need help. I'm doing something wrong on Squats because now my hip hurts, and obviously, I need help on other lifts if my wrists keep acting up. I'll try my best to get someone to film me next week. I'm starting my long rest - no lifting until Tuesday, so hopefully I will be on the mend by then.

I should post the videos in the form check thread, right?

ETA: My left arm is significantly weaker than my right and my right wrist is the one bothering me the most. Is it absolutely idiotic to perform some dumbbell OHP & Bench type moves with only my left arm to build it up? Do you guys think this would help?
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    I would absolutely not want to suicide grip on squats. Y'all are braver than me!

I use wrist wraps on heavy squats, bench, and OHP. They're $15-20 and basically take the thinking out since you can't bend your wrist while wearing them. You can concentrate on important things like shoving your knees out and squeezing your butt. :laugh:

They look like this, but there are a few different types.

4128GGzJtxL._AA160_.jpg
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure using suicide grip on squats is how Mark Rippetoe teaches it in Starting Strength. Either way, my back is what's holding the bar up and I find I can push it in place harder if my thumb is not wrapped around. I also have issues with my right wrist that make it basically impossible to wrap my thumb around doing squats without throwing my form in the crapper. It's the only lift I do that though. (And I also have to front squats with either straps or crossed arms because I can't last more than 1 set with a clean grip).

You definitely wanna wrap it around on BP, deadlift and rows. I've seen a lot of people using suicide grip on OHP. You do get better leverage if you don't wrap it around, but I don't feel secure doing that, so it's probably not a good idea.

As for doing unilateral work, you could do DB presses but stop when the left hand can't take anymore and then do the same number of reps on the right even if you have more left in the tank. Don't just work 1 side though. It'll even itself out with time.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    I realize many people squat with a false grip, and I wasn't trying to imply there was anything wrong with it. I meant from a purely psychological perspective. :laugh: I have had to use it occasionally with an axle, and even though the bar was secure it made me uncomfortable. :embarassed:
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    it's only called 'suicide' on benches, which really would be stupid! OP, you wrap your thumb on all the other lifts :)