How to lose inches while doing SL?

Options
sixpacklady
sixpacklady Posts: 582 Member
My scale and waist size have been stuck for the last 3 weeks, since I started SL. I was thinking it must be bcos of water weight retention from heavy lifting. I did not do much cardio for the last 3 weeks, a couple of HIIT sessions, that's all.

I have found that if I do some kind of circuit training (Jillian DVDs etc) I lose 0.5 - 1 lb/week consistently. But with weight training, I am not losing much. But I want to continue with the SL, as I love strength training more than cardio.

I am planning to add 2-3 HIIT sessions starting this week, hoping to see some kind of downward movement. But just wanted to see what kind of additional cardio/workouts everyone does to lose at least 1lb/week. I am keeping a calorie deficit on weekdays days and eating around maintenance on weekends.

Thanks for any replies...

Replies

• lizafava2
    Options
    I run 35-60 minutes 5-6 days a week. Since starting SL I have been running longer and slower so its not like weight training in any way. It keeps my deficits bigger and allows me to eat more so that I am not starving. Since starting SL and increasing the time running I have last 1-3 pounds a week. I just got off a long plateau but this is also what I noticed a couple years ago when I lost about 40 pounds. I am hytpothyroid so for me, I think, the running helps make my metabolism more normal.
  • rlw911
    rlw911 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    For now, the only cardio I do is 7-10 minutes on the treadmill as a warmup before I lift.

Did you measure at different areas on your waist? I usually do natural waist and at the belly button. I had a trainer at my gym take my measurements last week and I lost much more around my belly button, than at my natural waist. Of course, that's where most of my fat is, so it was nice to see it was going away! Anyway, just a thought/suggestion. :smile:
  • sixpacklady
    Options
    For now, the only cardio I do is 7-10 minutes on the treadmill as a warmup before I lift.

Did you measure at different areas on your waist? I usually do natural waist and at the belly button. I had a trainer at my gym take my measurements last week and I lost much more around my belly button, than at my natural waist. Of course, that's where most of my fat is, so it was nice to see it was going away! Anyway, just a thought/suggestion. :smile:

Thanks for the reply.

My waist is where all my fat is as well. I am ok with rest of my body, though everything needs some tightening...I am ok with not losing any weight, just inches is all I am concerned about.

When did you last measure? Just wondering how many weeks it takes to lose an inch? And how long have been doing SL?

As lizafava said, I feel that I need more cardio to lose, as just the SL is not doing anything. But I am only in week 3 and plan to do it for at least 12 weeks.
  • rlw911
    Options
    When did you last measure? Just wondering how many weeks it takes to lose an inch? And how long have been doing SL?

11/12/13
    NW 32
    BB 35.5
    Hips 42

11/26/13
    NW 31.75
    BB 34.75
    hips 41.5

01/30/14
    NW 31.25
    BB 33.75
    hips 41.25

I started on Oct. 16 with a personal trainer for 3 sessions to show me around the gym and the lifts. I had her take my measurements the first part of February and she said I'd lost 2.5" off my waist, so my measurements are in line with hers. I officially started SL on October 27. She also measured my BF and said I had lost .5%. Not much to me, but she said that was good in 3 months. I was even more impressed when I remembered that 3 months covered Thanksgiving, Christmas, my birthday and a cruise!!! My weight has pretty much stayed the same, give or take a couple of pounds. I really need to buckle down and start logging everything again!
  • sixpacklady
    Options

11/12/13
    NW 32
    BB 35.5
    Hips 42

11/26/13
    NW 31.75
    BB 34.75
    hips 41.5

01/30/14
    NW 31.25
    BB 33.75
    hips 41.25

I started on Oct. 16 with a personal trainer for 3 sessions to show me around the gym and the lifts. I had her take my measurements the first part of February and she said I'd lost 2.5" off my waist, so my measurements are in line with hers. I officially started SL on October 27. She also measured my BF and said I had lost .5%. Not much to me, but she said that was good in 3 months. I was even more impressed when I remembered that 3 months covered Thanksgiving, Christmas, my birthday and a cruise!!! My weight has pretty much stayed the same, give or take a couple of pounds. I really need to buckle down and start logging everything again!

Thats impressive. thank you.

Do you do any other workouts like any accessory work etc to compliment SL?
  • rlw911
    Options
    Not really, although I feel like I'm getting to the point where I should. Every now and then, I'll use the assisted pull-up machine. Last week, I got off track on my workouts when the gym was too busy and I left without doing deadlifts. The next time I went, I did a lot of accessory lifts and then started back on the regular program on my next trip to the gym.

I have plenty of fat to lose. :frown:
  • sixpacklady
    Options
    Ugh, me too:angry:
  • rlw911
    Options
    Even though I know your profile picture is Cameron Diaz, I still picture you that way in my mind, so you don't have any fat to lose! :smile:
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    I started SL near the end of November 2013. I took a 2 week hiatus in December due to a nasty virus I contracted. During that time, I've lost 8 lbs. Six of those 8 were from that virus. I never did put that weight back on after I got better. The results are very slow for me, but I think I'm really eating at maintenance. I've lost very few inches and I take progress photos every month. I can see the progress, minimal though it may be. My fiance, my mom, and my coworkers say they can tell a difference. I'm adding in cardio on my off days, but mostly just 30-45 minutes of walking or the elliptical to see if I can progress a little faster.
  • sixpacklady
    Options
    Even though I know your profile picture is Cameron Diaz, I still picture you that way in my mind, so you don't have any fat to lose! :smile:

ha ha :)

that is my goal body for 2014 !!

And btw, that's Jamie Eason. But now that you mentioned it, she does look like Cameron.
  • rlw911
    Options
    Ooops! Well, I wouldn't turn down either one of those ladies body! :bigsmile: