Adjusting 5x5 to fit my workout schedule

Options
sjp_511
sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
Hi all! I just started lifting a few weeks ago and am loving it! I like the simplicity of the 5x5 program but I can't find the time to do full body weight lifting 3 times a week. I am a runner and do several half marathons every year. My next half marathon is coming up in 4 weeks so my long runs are hitting double digits. I do not want to do leg exercises the day before my long run since I don't want to torture myself and I don't want to do legs the day after because I think recovery is important. Furthermore, with this harsh winter my long run isn't always on Saturday - I have shifted it to Sunday quite a bit to have better running conditions. So basically, I do not want to do leg exercises on Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and sometimes Monday .

I have been doing all 5 of the lifts on Tuesday and Thursday instead. With a 15 minute warm-up on the treadmill, this takes me about 1hr15min. And I am only doing 4 sets, not 5. I feel like I am rushing through the last exercise because I am running out of time.

I am considering changing it up as follows:
Monday (assuming I did my long run on Saturday): Lower body and back: Squats, Deadlifts, and Rows
Tuesday: Chest and arms: Bench, OHP,and a third exercise, most likely bicep curl
Wednesday: No weights (but I still run 4-5 miles)
Thursday: Lower Body and back (same as Monday)
Friday: Chest and arms (same as Tuesday)

I am hoping that by cutting down to 3 exercises I won't feel so rushed so I can really focus on form and still get done in less than 1 hour.

If I do end up having a long run on Sunday, then I would just do full boday on Tuesday, but do 3 sets of every exercise instead of the 4-5 I am doing now.

Does this sound like a fair modification to the 5x5 program? Any suggestions?

Also, I am only increasing weight once a week instead of every time.

Replies

• kerricolby
    kerricolby Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    If if was me, I would follow stronglifts only 2 days a week if I was doing all that running.
  • catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    If if was me, I would follow stronglifts only 2 days a week if I was doing all that running.

^^I would tend to agree.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    Another vote for dropping down to two days per week. I don't run, but I am in a 3x/week boxing class and that is my focus. I only lift twice a week on non-boxing days. Tuesday/Thursday seems to be a good fit between your longer runs and then you can maintain the 5x5 on just 3 lifts without being pressed for time.
  • trosewine
    Options
    I play a lot of tennis, so I was also in a pickle as to how to prioritizing lifting. Basically I work it in when I can and I just have conceded that I won't have the same progression as people who dedicate themselves fully to the program.

Over the past 5 months or so I have done heavy lifting 0-3 times a week (mostly 2x) and have seen great increases in strength and my tennis game has improved as I am faster and have more endurance (with less tennis practice!!)

5' 4" at 150lbs
    Bench - 45 --> 85
    DL - 95 --> 185
    Squat - 75 --> 135

Heavy lifting is a GREAT accessory to any sports training...just pay attention to needed rest, fuel and injury...
  • fabfindz05
    fabfindz05 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I am also a runner, training for my 5th half. I still do the 3x\week, but I have shorter runs during the week. SL is MWF and I run on T and TH, with my long run on Sunday.

I would say dropping down isn't a bad thing. I will stick to 3x\week until I get closer to my race next month.
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I am also a runner, training for my 5th half. I still do the 3x\week, but I have shorter runs during the week. SL is MWF and I run on T and TH, with my long run on Sunday.

I would say dropping down isn't a bad thing. I will stick to 3x\week until I get closer to my race next month.

Are the squats harder doing them the day after your long run? Do you have to use less weight? I did a 10-miler Sunday afternoon and I am pretty sure I would not have been able to do 5x5 squats at the weight I normally use. I also crave extra sleep after my long run, so it is harder to wake-up and exercise before work.
  • fabfindz05
    fabfindz05 Posts: 92 Member
    Options

Are the squats harder doing them the day after your long run? Do you have to use less weight? I did a 10-miler Sunday afternoon and I am pretty sure I would not have been able to do 5x5 squats at the weight I normally use. I also crave extra sleep after my long run, so it is harder to wake-up and exercise before work.

I had 8 miles on Sunday and I ran pretty hard. My legs were so sore that I could not do my Monday workout.
    It's not too bad during the week, since I am only doing 5-6 miles. I keep the same weight. I am at 105lbs for squats and I'm sure it's really going to make a difference the closer I get to race day. I may end up cutting back....
  • LadyDeadlift
    LadyDeadlift Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    So. I don't run and can't really provide suggestions. But I recently watched this on PBS - early in the program there's a segment where David Pogue talks about what factors contribute to running faster.... (hint: it's strength!)

http://video.pbs.org/video/2365099550/

Best of luck to you making it all work -- I'm not a fan of running and am impressed that you're logging that kind of mileage!