Elliptical?

I've been going to the gym and walking here and there but even after 45 minutes of walking I don't even burn 200 calories. I'm looking for a little more exercise.. Do any of you use the elliptical? I'm assuming it's okay to do, right? At least then i'll be able to break a little sweat and then feel like i'm doing a little bit more!

After 45 minutes on the treadmill my lower back is usually starting to hurt.. i'm wondering if the elliptical will cut down on this.

I'm 22 weeks!

Thanks!

Replies

• miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    I did the elliptical the whole time I was pregnant. It was much easier on my joints than the treadmill. It's nice too because you control your own pace. I definitely got slower as the pregnancy went on but I just did my best.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    I'm 31 weeks and still use the elliptical. I also use the treadmill, but find it a bit boring since I'm not running in it. I do gradually increase the speed and the incline. I also use the bike and the stepper, as well as do Zumba, aerobics and step aerobics.

Most exercise is fine so long as you were doing it before pregnancy.
  • RatherBeInTheShire
    RatherBeInTheShire Posts: 561 Member
    Thanks Dawnie! I wasn't really using an elliptical before hand. I trained for a marathon which I ran in October of last year at 3+5. I haven't run since then. I've just been walking occasionally on the treadmill but it's underwhelming and I don't want to leave the house to not even burn 200 calories. I guess its' because i'm a runner and i'm used to 45 minutes buring a lot more than that! haha.

I think next go at the gym, i'll try the elliptical! they are always WAY less crowded any way!
  • DawnieB1977
    I think if you're fit enough to run a marathon, you can handle the elliptical :smile:

The stepper burns quite a few calories too.
  • RatherBeInTheShire
    yeah! But the marathon was the last running I did! LOL and that was October 12th. Still, I think i'll give it a shot.

thanks!
  • DawnieB1977
    Lol. I like to think I'm quite fit, but I couldn't run a marathon! I can handle a step aerobics class at 31 weeks pregnant though!
  • rhye
    rhye Posts: 104 Member
    I think you can do anything that doesn't hurt? I do circuit training with a personal trainer and sometimes on my own, plus running, recumbent bike, yoga class-- just listen to your body and if something hurts modify it or slow it down.
  • RatherBeInTheShire
    Thanks ladies! You are right. Next time I go, i'll give it a shot. I'll only aim for 25 minutes or so to see how I feel.
  • Eat2Live2Run
    Eat2Live2Run Posts: 137 Member
    Why no more running bburg? I'm (almost) 15 weeks and I'm still running quite a bit. I did a Half Marathon last weekend. I'm having to incorporate some walking breaks now, but I'm hoping to be able to keep running at some capacity for quite a while. I am doing some elliptical sessions too, and its great so far.
  • jmp2020
    jmp2020 Posts: 5 Member
    I have done the ellipitcal throughout this pregnancy. Usually do about 45 min of that and then lift weights. Early on I had no weight restriction. Now I am limited to not lift more than 30lbs. So I just do a lot more reps to get the same result.

I also do Zumba, Spin, walking etc. My doctor has me on very limited restrictions and really promotes me working out. Just no laying flat on my back exercises and the weight limit restriction. I am not high risk though and worked out a lot prior to pregnancy.
  • jmp2020
    jmp2020 Posts: 5 Member
    I wish I could still run. I immediately have to pee as soon as I start jogging lol.
  • RatherBeInTheShire
    Why no more running bburg? I'm (almost) 15 weeks and I'm still running quite a bit. I did a Half Marathon last weekend. I'm having to incorporate some walking breaks now, but I'm hoping to be able to keep running at some capacity for quite a while. I am doing some elliptical sessions too, and its great so far.
    [/quote

Because I was sick for the first 16 weeks. At that point 4 months had passed since running ,and once MS was gone, i still felt crappy and couldn't imagine running. Now it's been 6 months since I ran last. At this point, I might as well wait. It's a personal preference. I think running would much more difficult now as my feet and back are already hurting, and i'm out of breath easier.