plateaued Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Here's a jelly bean link in case you need it:

https://jellybelly.com/info/funstuff/Flavor_Guides

:)
  • marikevr
    marikevr Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Lots of the authors (Noakes, Fitzgerald, Owens, et al) cite 60 gm/hr of CHO with a maximum figure of 90 gm/hr that we can ingest.
    Curious to read the response of those marathon runners who are keto-adapted, if you have a nutrition plan you don t mind sharing.

Just for interest sake, Tim Noakes did a complete turn around regarding his stance on CHO needed, especially for carbohydrate resistant (or prediabetic) endurance athletes. He is now advocating a high fat, low CHO diet. I have ordered his new book "The Real Meal Revolution" (it is sold out everywhere here in South Africa).

I struggle with blood sugar issues while running and start to see-saw between high and low blood sugar. For runs over 25km I run on a little bit of low glycaemic index supplement (GI<32) mixed with a protein endurance powder, while adding fat for everything over a marathon. The low GI-protein mix keeps my blood sugar constant without the spikes and crashes that gels seem to cause for me. I also recover faster with less of a bottom-less pit feeling afterwards, I used to be ravenously hungry after long runs. It did take time to adapt to the new feeding strategy though. First couple of runs I felt like I had no gas in the tank.

So I am following the whole Noakes CHO vs fat debate with interest. Noakes' new book has been peer-reviewed with good feedback, so I am looking forward to reading it. I am already employing some of the principles with good results.

I certainly don't think the approach will work for everyone, as Tim Noakes stated as well. But, for those of us struggling with blood sugar issues it is definitely something to investigate.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Here's a jelly bean link in case you need it:

https://jellybelly.com/info/funstuff/Flavor_Guides

:)

I absolutely love Sport Beans, but they have to be the most impractical thing to consume *during* a race. Nothing worse than futzing around with opening the bag, only to find out it has a secondary Ziploc-type seal to open as well. I get the idea, but I prefer to just empty them out beforehand. I will pop these about an hour before showtime and that's it.