New and nervous

Options
Hello, I'm scheduled for the sleeve on February 26 th 2014. I'm currently on my pre op diet and getting used to it. I recently had my gallbladder removed on 1-21-14 so I'm 4 weeks post op and started to work out again before my next procedure. I'm here because I'm looking for a support system of people who have or are going to go through the sleeve. I'm a. Very social person so I've been finding it difficult to say no to hanging out with my friends and going out to dinner and other social events that have food. Any support or advice would be appreciated. Thank you ????

Replies

• hurricanelena
    hurricanelena Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I'm only 3weeks out myself, and I have yet to go out to dinner. Most of my friends have been very supportive however, offering to go places were I can get soup :-)

I've personally decided that I need to work on my relationship with food before I can go socialize with others and it. Work is bad enough!

Have you considered doing activities where food is not the main focus? Go hang at the beach, park, visit a museum, take a class? A lot of cities and towns offer free or low cost events through their rec department.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I would focus on going out with them to get your nails done, shopping, movie (1/2 bag small buttered popcorn 315cals) , opera, museums, broadway, zoo, 5k walks, charity events etc. Start to be the person who invites them 1st to a non food activity.
  • Ksh1055
    Ksh1055 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I have not gone out to eat yet this year as I began starting the small meals 5-6 times/day and getting in the mindset for my sleeve that was done 2/5/14. I know this is a total food lifestyle change for me and am trying very hard to follow all the instructions to the best of my ability. I have had no nausea to speak of and feel almost back to normal 13 days post-surgery. Still use a pillow to splint when coughing or sneezing or just to protect my abdomen. Have used my elliptical duo trainer every day since I came home from surgery 15 - 30 minutes/day most days. My sinus surgeries were much more painful, but your Dr. will send you home with prescription pain medication. I used mine for the 1st couple of days home.

I not only want, but need this surgery to be a success. My friends and family are very understanding. It helps there has only been one large get together since I began the pre-op process. This was a baby shower for my niece who has since given birth to twins. I was able to refrain from eating anything at the party, but they did have decaf coffee and water.

It will be harder once I start being around other people more during meal times and more than likely not being able to eat what they do. I have begun carrying a couple portions of my Protein mix, yogurt or soup with me when I know I'm going visiting. So far, so good.
  • Syndigutez5
    Syndigutez5 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thank you, for all of your advice. I really appreciate the needed support. I will try all of the suggestions ????
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I am a very social person too and I was concerned that the surgery would change that about me, but I haven't let it. I have been out to eat, at family dinners, etc, and it's been fine. For me, now, I realize that the company is more important to me than the food when I socialize. I also feel that I do need to learn to be around food, it's going to be everywhere just like before, and it's up to me to use the tools at hand, including the surgery, to deal with that environment. Most people I know are very understanding and really try to support me and accommodate me, and when I go out, I just make the right choices. You can totally do it!
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    @Syndigutez5; No worries post op, I go out with freinds and family regularly and have been doing so from about 8 weeks post. I reccomend that as you transition from the immediate post op diet, through the food stages, that you do some internet research and learn which restaurants have menu items that work for you.

Most important: log everything you eat into MFP and start exercise as soon as your Dr. allows. (Walking immediately, strength training with light weights at about 4 weeks). When you do you go out focus on PROTEIN first and avoid refined carbs. No only will you get to enjoy the social aspects of going out but you will gain control over your food and feel very encouraged.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Hi, You can still go out with friends, if you know where you are going, just go on line prior and choose foods that you can and should eat. A lot of restuarants now have nutrition information on line with their menus which makes it a lot easier. And if you go somewhere where you don't get to chose prior, stick with things like a cup of soup or chili. In a pinch, I've ordered a side salad and a cheeseburger, pickles, onion, catsup and mustard, no bun. Not a lot of food, but I know it won't take me over on calories and the burger gives me the protein I need.

I also tend to carry protein bars in my purse for those times we spontaneously hit a movie and I don't have the calories to do popcorn. I buy a bottle of water and munch on my Quest bar. :-)) Haven't had a theater yet throw me out or even question me. I've done it with almonds too.

And I will tell you that my friends and family have changed how we all socialize. Yes we still go out to eat, but most of the time we do non-food activities because although I am the only person sleeved, almost everyone is on some form of diet or moeny is so tight that it's either eat or do the activity. So you may find a lot less eating involved than you think.
  • Syndigutez5
    Syndigutez5 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thank you, all great advice! I love it!