Rowing machine

Options
wolfsbayne
wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
I'm thinking of using the rowing machine to supplement my cardio and strength training. Does/Has anyone use/used it and what are your results?

Replies

• jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    I've done it in the past. I would do 1k meter "sprints"/intervals rotated with core work. This is a great cardio workout. I never did it enough to have any measurable long term results. I did like the added back strength.
  • wolfsbayne
    Options
    Does it tire you out quickly?
  • jstout365
    Options
    Yes :laugh: I do the 1k intervals in about 5 minutes. I push myself on it. If I took it a bit easier, I could probably go longer, but I like the interval style. If it is just cardio/core day I can do 3 intervals mixed with circuit style core work.
  • wolfsbayne
    Options
    awesome! thanks for the input!
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I like switching it up and using it. Also makes for a great "back day" warm-up if you're on that kind of split. I typically try to go as far as possible for 5 mins but you can also do ladders.

Row 100m, rests 10-20s, row 200m, rest a bit, row 300m, etc. say, up to 500m, and then back down. (That one took me about 8 mins I think? I only did it once but it was awesome on the cardio.)

I'm thinking it would also be a nice one to pair with push-ups or burpees. Or in a circuit fashion! AND on top of that it's low impact and pretty much full body. It's my favorite cardio machine (I still hate them all though! xD)
  • wolfsbayne
    Options
    I like switching it up and using it. Also makes for a great "back day" warm-up if you're on that kind of split. I typically try to go as far as possible for 5 mins but you can also do ladders.

Row 100m, rests 10-20s, row 200m, rest a bit, row 300m, etc. say, up to 500m, and then back down. (That one took me about 8 mins I think? I only did it once but it was awesome on the cardio.)

I'm thinking it would also be a nice one to pair with push-ups or burpees. Or in a circuit fashion! AND on top of that it's low impact and pretty much full body. It's my favorite cardio machine (I still hate them all though! xD)

I really think I want to try it out. I like the fact that it's low impact. I hate the elliptical, but it's great for me because of the low impact and I'm just trying to switch it up and not get bored :smile:
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    I like rowing machines a lot. I just do them as steady state though. The displays on the 2 I have access too are a little ancient so I'm not even sure how to work them. They only thing I don't like is my feet don't stay strapped in, and I have to tighten the straps all the time.
  • jstout365
    Options
    I like rowing machines a lot. I just do them as steady state though. The displays on the 2 I have access too are a little ancient so I'm not even sure how to work them. They only thing I don't like is my feet don't stay strapped in, and I have to tighten the straps all the time.

Yeah, I have the issue with the feet slipping out as well. I have small feet and wear barefoot shoes so the heals slip.
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    What's your thoughts on rowing vs elliptical?

We have an elliptical that's gathering more dust than being used, and might consider trading for a rower instead ...
  • wolfsbayne
    Options
    I go to a gym, so I don't have equipment at home. I'm guessing that's what you're asking...
  • vendygirl
    vendygirl Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I rowing machines. they are awesome. I keep pondering just biting the bullet and buying one for home.
  • jennicole4
    jennicole4 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I use it occasionally. I enjoy it and feel like it hits more areas of my body than the treadmill. I especially think it's helpful for back and core.
  • catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I have a rowing machine at home. Think I paid about $25 for it at a garage sale. I only use it as a warm-up (8 minutes) before lifting. It really helps loosen up my knees before squats.
  • simbersea
    simbersea Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    I love the rower. I use it alot for my hiit. I like that it measures strength, not just minutes or distance. In fact, I liked it enough to buy one for my home. Its a whole body workout. The only downside is that if you dont really know how to row, you can hurt your back by pulling with your upper body, instead of pushing with your legs:)