Fibromyalgia Research Summary

Options
doriharvey
doriharvey Posts: 89 Member
I submitted this information as a part of an assignment to a class I am taking. There is a helpful link to a relevant government health information site that will lead to information and research link on FIBROMYALGIA.
The disease I chose to explore more is fibromyalgia.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20191480

I have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia 7 years ago. My first course of battling it was with medication provided by doctor that made my stomach sick and tired all the time. Then I started researching how to manage things personally. I dug into this topic deeper than needed by following all of the research links provided with the article on the website and during the six months I have not been doing active paperwork for this class I have been taking active steps towards using the information I found on this site.

Article highlights:
prevent muscle knots - prevent overall pain which in turn will help prevent dysfunctional immune response
drink plenty of water to flush out toxins
fiber supplement to flush out toxic internal matter
gentle exercise like yoga to keep the lymph system moving

cause of knots - build up of lactic acid in the muscle and dysfunctional healing response
fibroblast, major cell of intramuscular connective tissue secretes inflammatory cytokines causing painful inflammation

solution -
gentle massage and heat soothe and release fibro knots
muscle relaxer soma/ zanaflex
prescription Lyrica: doesn’t fix knots but alleviates discomfort

Further research allowed me to find that non resistant exercise is best and movement. It doesn’t hurt while moving, it hurts when movement is stopped. From this exploration I took a class that helped me prepare for my first 5 K that was ran on October 5, 2013. I found a fitness app that helps me track calories and nutrition intake as well as activity performed, this app allows “friend” connections where I found a community of others who also have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia. The discussions within this group have been helpful. I continue to work the exercise, gentle massage, and over the counter medication that helps with the pain and water retention from inflamed muscles.