Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

How is everyone doing with Labor Prep?

Anyone taking childbirth classes? I really liked mine when I was pregnant with my first. I think it was just a friday and saturday (I didn't want to do the 4 ones in the evening). It was put on by my hospital so they only told us things that applied (so they didn't discuss drugs that weren't offered and would talk about the hospital's policies on certain things). They passed around things that might be used - like the internal monitor and the vacuum that could be used to help baby out. My son had a vacuum and I felt much more comfortable with the idea after having seen it and handled it.

I also really loved my hospital tour! The nurse was very straight forward kind of person. Showed us the rooms and the labor tubs (not for birth, but labor). She also told us not to come in with a birth plan because they hate that. LOL, I wasn't set on a birth plan, so I didn't care about that, but it would have made me think twice. Also I learned there that they don't have a nursery, no NICU, it's a very basic straight forward hospital. Only 2 people that could give epidurals, so if only one was on call and they were in surgery I'd have to wait. Just good things to be mentally prepared for.

I'm skipping these things this time around since this will be my 3rd baby at that hospital in 3 years, but thought in case you ladies hadn't gotten the ball rolling yet the classes sometimes fill up fast and it's better to take it early in 3rd tri as you never know when you'll go into labor (or if you'll feel up to sititng through a class when yo're 8/9 months pregnant!)

Replies

• qhiggins86
    qhiggins86 Posts: 113 Member
    I'm debating about classes, but I'm also a FTM... I think the one I really want to take is the breastfeeding one, because everyone I've talked to so far says it's harder than it looks. I've already lined up a hospital tour in a few weeks with my hubby. I'm wondering if all the reading I'm doing will help because unless a childbirth class is free, I'm not putting money into it. I feel as though I have a decent idea of the possibilities during labor, and I don't have a plan on how things are going to go. I'm a go with the flow kinda person, which is why I've had my nose in books and forums, as well as asking my friends and family about their experiences. Am I being naive?
  • spunkychelsea
    spunkychelsea Posts: 316 Member
    Nah, the classes aren't for everyone. And if I recall mine was quite expensive - it's been 3 years but I think it was about $150? They did cover some basics of breastfeeding too. I found the baby care class fun. (I was a nut - for me to feel "prepared" I read all the books and took ALL the classes - the L&D one, the BF one, and the baby care basics - but I had only changed ONE diaper before I had my first child, so I was quite overwhelmed by the thought of taking care of a screaming infant!) The baby care one they had us change diapers on dolls and discuss tricks they'd learned and how to bathe baby and things like that. The breastfeeding class was very informative, but covered a lot of the stuff I'd read in books and wasn't very hands on (thankfully!).

My husband thought the classes were a waste of time. Of course he thought that about almost everything baby related. But he was the youngest of 9 and grew up helping raise nieces and nephews. But he smiled (kind of) and went along with me to make me feel better. The one he did think was really useful was the hospital tour. It was a nice dry run before we actually had to go for real. We were talking about this a couple of days ago. He had said did you see the baby in the car seat being carried by dad when the family we didn't know was leaving? I was like no! What a cute baby. I said I was too busy looking at the mom being wheeled out in the wheel chair. She looked WRECKED. Scared the crap out of me.

Breastfeeding is a fun beast to tackle. If you're even thinking about taking the class and it's reasonable I totally would - BUT that being said keep in mind once you actually have a baby you may still need help afterwards. I had 3 lactation consultants see me in the hospital, tell me everything looked good, but then my nipples started cracking and bleeding when I got home and I went back to get help when he was 5 days old.

I think everyone should do whatever makes them feel prepared - if that's everything you can do vs nothing whatever makes you feel better! I'm rambling now.
  • stephysd
    stephysd Posts: 2,410 Member
    I started packing my bag and the baby's diaper bag this weekend! Makes it seem a little more real. I have 10 weeks to go and both my boys were at least a week early.

Nothing else is ready for her though. Hubby and I spent the weekend stripping 5 layers of paint off a gorgeous oak wardrobe to go in her room. He was took the day off today to finish that up and hopefully we'll be able to paint the inside and varnish the outside this week. I still have a lot to get done in her room and need to make a list and start checking things off. Her crib and bassinet are not up. Changing table/dresser is upstairs put covered in crap. I did get her cloth diapers washed this weekend and put away. And clothes are washed and in dresser or hanging up in the spare closet.

It is getting so close! Other exciting news - She finally dropped out of my ribs over the weekend. I can breathe again and no longer having heartburn or burping when I eat or drink. There was literally no room for food in there for quite a while! Getting so very excited!!!
  • spunkychelsea
    So many exciting things stephysd! I'm lucky that I have a short torso so my babies don't get up under my ribs. I apparently just look like I'm smuggling a basketball according to my husband. That's so neat that you're doing projects for the new baby and getting a room ready, that I think would make it more real for me. Baby will be in our room for a month or so then we're going to have to juggle the toddlers into the same room (the almost 14 month old is currently in the crib in the nursery and will have to move into a toddler bed into her 2.5 y/o brother's room once the baby is ready for her own room!). Haven't even looked at a bag yet for the hospital. But I did realize my toiletries are already packed from last time! Just need to add a new toothbrush. I have 12 weeks to go though and my both my babies went over their due date - I'm hoping this one comes a little earlier though - this pregnancy is a lot rougher physically and emotionally. I'm looking forward to meeting her and getting her on the outside with the first couple of weeks of recovery and sleepless nights over with.
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    I did not go to a class with my first, I wanted to but it never happened.
    Now, since I have been through it once before and have been to other people's births in between too, I dont feel the need.
    I have never been to a breastfeeding class but have heard that those are a waste of money if your hospital has a lactation nurse, you will get more help and education from her than from a class.

Curious: what are y'all packing in your hospital bags?
  • KimberlyTG2
    KimberlyTG2 Posts: 84 Member
    We did the class the first time, but we have a planned repeat c-sec so it should be pretty straight forward this time. The Lactation nurse was very helpful. I spoke to her before we gave birth, while on our hospital tour. I was able to call her and come back and visit with her once he was here.
    The hospital bag... not much. a change of cloths, make up, my hair products and tooth brush/ tooth paste. Maybe a nursing gown and some house shoes and my pillow (with a colorful pillow case on it so it doesn't get mistaken for a hospital pillow) . I actually liked the disposable undies they gave me last time and they provided some mega pads too. Their just wasn't a lot they didn't provide. For the baby I'll take my nursing pillow and his coming home outfit and car seat/carrier. The hospital gave us all kinds of stuff for the baby last time. Am I forgetting anything important? It has been a couple years since we did this (And I do have major preggo brain right now).
  • spunkychelsea
    My breastfeeding class was put on by one of the hospital's lactation consultants and was free, so I thought it was well worth it. They also sent in one lactation consultant per day that we were in the hospital to check on us and the nurses also helped. Second time around the LC just came to say hi since I had developed a good relationship with her the last time(her and another LC ran a support group to new moms once a week and I would go there and hang out). I would highly recommend looking to see if your hospital has a postpartum support group. I really enjoyed it and made several friends there. Plus it's a safe place to get out and take baby when you're not sure what to do with them. My son liked to be fussy during that time so it was great to get the hell out of the house and somewhere where other moms understood.

Hospital bag....I plan on packing it this weekend. I brought my own black pajamas for afterwards with a sweater since I get cold. I'll probably bring a spare set of underwear but like babylansmom I liked the mesh. No pads, they provided them. No diapers for baby - provided. I'll bring a coming home outfit for baby and a spare one in case they poop on it. WIPES - my husband hates the dry wipes the hospital provides and he's the one that does diaper duty the first week or two, so he gets whatever he wants for it. Toiletries. I liked having some nice smelling soap and shampoo for cleaning up, and travel toothpaste and a toothbrush to just use and toss when we leave. A phone charger. If I buy a baby book - the page where they do feet and hand prints. A camera. Slippers I dislike so I can toss them if I want. Something to come home in for me - yoga pants and a maternity or large shirt. Nursing bra or some kind of bra. A swim top for me in case I want to labor in the tub and still have modesty. Swim trunks for my husband in case I need him in there (though really, I've packed them the last two times and brought them home and unpacked them, but if I don't bring them I know I'll want him in there, lol). A few tshirts, boxers, and a spare pair of shorts for him (baby pooped on him last time and he stays with me until we go home - so he needs crap too). A pillow I don't mind throwing away if need be (last time they were like, we don't want this to get messy we'll tuck it behind ours. I was like if I have to throw it away we're fine, so I'll just use it in front of your pillows - theirs are like an inch thick with crappy pillow cases). Seems like a huge list but it all fit into a small suitcase and another small bag. We live 40 mins away so I'd rather take too much and bring it back than not to take it and miss it.
  • KimberlyTG2
    KimberlyTG2 Posts: 84 Member
    Phone charger and nursing tank/bra... Good thinking. I forgot about those. We live about 40miles away too and my husband will need to pack a bag. He wouldn't leave last time either.
  • stephysd
    Adding onto the already awesome list that the others have started....

*Big Brother Presents for our sons
    *Pennant bunting to wrap around the bassinet so that she is easy to spot in the nursery
    *Stocking Hats and No Scratch Mitts for the baby
    *Our favorite kinds of tea bags, to-go thermos for the tea as I dislike the little styrofoam cups, trail mix, and fresh fruit for snacks as I seem to be ravenous the first few days after labor
    *Thank you cards that are prestamped. When people come I get their address right then and there and if I have time I'll write the note that same day. Saves from forgetting later on.
    *Pacifer in case we need it. Hint for when baby gets their shots - is dip the pacifer in sugar water and let the baby suck on it. For some reason sugar water is a natural pain reliever. At least that is what my doctor told me, and she'd always check with mom when she would do circumensions if she could do that. So I had it done with each of the boys with their circs and told the lab gals to do it with their shots and blood draws. Only time baby got the pacifer though, and make sure you take it out of the bassinet so they don't use it in the nursery.

Question for you ladies - Have any of you ever requested that they do all procedures for the baby in your room rather then the nursery? This is the one thing I am really worried about. We are delivering in a different hospital then where we delivered our sons. The hospital we delivered the boys at I worked there at the time on the medical floor. I knew all the staff. I knew the procedures. It did not worry me. I could request which nurse or lab tech came and do what test, as I knew who did a good job at it. That hospital is a small community hospital and they lost a couple of the doctors who did OB, so at this time they are not doing OB until they are able to replace them. Hence the reason for new doctor and new hospital. I love the midwife we are going to and not concerned about the labor/birth because we are on the same page with that. But when we had the tour of the hospital delivery and then post partum suites that was the one thing the tour guide kept saying. Baby has to go to nursery for this, and baby has to go to nursery for that. And I am thinking... Bull$%&# the whole time. This is a large hospital and it seriously petrifies me the thought of her leaving my room. The first bath and all that follow have to be in the nursery because they have a 'special' tub they do those in. I told the lady it was not happening because we videotape the first bath and it will happen in our room or I will just do it myself. Same thing with labs, I want them to happen in my room so that I can calm the baby immediately. I know how the labs work (helped do them a hundreds of times), I am not going to freak out that my baby is crying (it happens and I know they are mainly pissed about their foot being held and squeezed), what does concern me is that after they finish with labs they will just wrap her back up leave her crying and move to the next baby to do labs on. I want to be able to hold her and comfort her as soon as it is complete and I don't trust them to bring her back as soon as they are done. Also at our old hospital, my doctor did the baby's examine in the room and then would do mine each morning. At the large hospital, the midwife will do my examine and a ped doctor will do the baby's. I want that done in my room so I can ask the doctor questions and was told nope they only do examines in the nursery and then will come and talk with me. So after they do 20 exams how will they know which darn baby was even mine.

It makes me so frustrated already thinking about it, and I feel and kinda of know that if I put up a big enough stink that I probably will get my way. I am paying for this service, so they have to meet my request if they are not out of line. But are these out of line. What do you guys think?
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    I am with you on that one. Put up your stink and maybe you will even get your way.

I am going to the same hospital with this baby as I did my last. The only thing they took the baby out for is the stupid hospital policy that mom has to get some sleep and if mom is sleeping then baby can't be in the room, because baby always has to be attended.
    Well, with this baby now I am married and will have my hubby with me, I won't be alone this time. So, I am hoping because my husband is in the room to watch him then they won't take him while I am sleeping.
  • stephysd
    I am with you on that one. Put up your stink and maybe you will even get your way.

I am going to the same hospital with this baby as I did my last. The only thing they took the baby out for is the stupid hospital policy that mom has to get some sleep and if mom is sleeping then baby can't be in the room, because baby always has to be attended.
    Well, with this baby now I am married and will have my hubby with me, I won't be alone this time. So, I am hoping because my husband is in the room to watch him then they won't take him while I am sleeping.

Wow I have never heard of that rule! We would take the babies to the nursery when the mom went to bath/shower because (small hospital) there was not one in the room and they had to go down the hall. But if anyone was there that mom felt comfortable baby staying with then baby could stay in the room. Just had to stress that they had to stay in the room because occasionally 'Grandma would come walking down the hallway to the waiting room to get a cookie carrying the baby' type example. But again small hospital that was maybe 50 feet away from the OB unit and we'd just turn them around and go get what they were after.

The only time I had my baby taken out of the room was for their circumsions. I was fine with that as sterile procedure they needed to set it up where it should be done, etc. And then on my second night with my second child, the night nurse aide came in and took the baby so I would sleep. I was so glad she did because I was exhausted, but knew they were busy so I did not want to 'bother them' but he would not stop crying and just wanted to be held and scream. She kept him over there for about 2 hours before he finally started to act like he was hungry and brought him back and by then it was 4am. He slept pretty well after that snuggled with me in bed. But again I was fine with this because I worked with them. I trusted them. I knew that my baby was in perfect hands. I knew they would follow my request. I could literally walk out my door and knock on the nursery door/window and they'd bring him back in. This big hospital I just feel like we are going to get lost in the shuffle and they will do things their own way.
  • spunkychelsea
    My hospital doesn't have the baby for leave for ANY reason. If you WANT the nurses to watch them while you sleep you can, but my husband stays with me so we take turns. All tests are done in room. Bath in room. Exams in room. My hospital doesn't even have a nursery anymore. When the nurses watch the rare baby they do it at the nurses station 10 feet from Mom's door. So I would have no clue on any of that. It's a small county hospital with only 9 L&D rooms. Also the room is labor, delivery and recovery. So the last two times I stayed the first room I went in was the room baby and I stayed in until check out. My son did need an ultrasound the day he was born and my husband went with him, that's the one time he left - but since it was with my husband I don't really count that especially since they couldn't bring in the ultrasound machine (they had ones for OB, and the other one I'm sure wasn't different, but it was an indepth ultrasound that needed a tech and pictures being recorded). Best of Luck!

Oh, and good idea about having the gifts. I planned on getting both kids gifts (so far I only have for my older child) but I plan on being in the hospital for the minimum amount of time and just introducing baby to them at home but it would be good to walk in with the gifts, so even if we stash them in the car they could be ready.
  • spunkychelsea
    Well, I know baby certainly isn't ready as I'm 34 weeks today, but I feel like I am now! We washed all the newborn clothes and made room for them in my daughter's dresser. Packed the hospital bag today. Got our newborn diapers. Hoping baby comes at 37 weeks! (instead of almost 42 and almost 41 weeks like the last two - a girl can dream). We'll install the infant car seat in our car after next Monday. Just feel ready now!

Next Monday (the 14th) my parents are watching my 2 kids so my husband can drive me 3 hours to the beach for the day. Seems ridiculous, but I want to put my feet in sand before the baby gets here (plus if we really do move this will be the last time to go for a while as we wouldn't make the trip with a newborn). So excited! My 30th birthday is 2 weeks after my due date so I wont feel up to doing much, so this is my big last hurrah for my 20's. Thinking about using my 30th birthday as a come eat cake and meet and greet for the baby (3rd baby no baby shower or anything like that - so it'd be nice for everyone to meet the baby when we're hoping not as exhausted).