Vegetarian during pregnancy?

Options
jr235
jr235 Posts: 201 Member
Anyone else turn nearly vegetarian during pregnancy? This is my second pregnancy and with both meat completely turned me off. I'm fine on protein, eggs and beans are totally fine with me, and products cooked with meat. Its just meat. I was vegetarian for years anyways, but I'm just wondering if anyone else experiences this?

Replies

• dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian since I was a child, and this is my third pregnancy. I've been trying to focus on protein this pregnancy, since I've had a hard time with it in past pregnancies (it's hard to get enough protein when you're craving bagels and corn chips).

I have no idea if I am turned off from meat - the meat that I usually find to be foul smelling is even more foul smelling to me (pork and beef) but chicken pad thai seems like something I might enjoy.

My "meh" food is ice cream. Aren't I supposed to be craving Ben and Jerry's??? But I'm craving kid cereals like Life and Kix, instead.
  • jls8209
    jls8209 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I haven't turned vegetarian, but I did get a little grossed out while working with raw chicken breasts a few days ago. I had absolutely no problem eating it for dinner later on, though. Raw meat didn't bother me at all during my first pregnancy, so I was kind of surprised when it did the other day. I also have morning sickness this time around, not sure if it's some how connected?
  • TipTopMMR
    TipTopMMR Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I am a vegetarian, but wanted to give salmon an effort...totally grossed out. I have managed to add hard boiled egg whites, though!
  • jr235
    jr235 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    dandelyon most of my first trimester I've been eating almost nothing but carbs. The first is all about survival, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

tiptopmmr, I don't like salmon either, except for one time when I tried it in sushi. Go figure.

Finally got around too cooking big batches of beans to freeze. I've got chickpeas, fava beans, kidney beans, and I'll probably do some white (canelli?) beans today.

I pretty much always hate dealing with raw meat, so no differences there.

Pregnancy is weird.