Fitbit remaining calories incorrect

Options
tiggerlgh
tiggerlgh Posts: 73 Member
My remaining/over calories has been messed up all day for my fitbit. It currently shows I have eaten 1295 calories (correct), burned 1532 (pretty average for an inactive day like today) but the what is wrong is it shows I have overeaten 512 calories (wrong).

I may be a few over my 750 calorie cut but not that many. Anyone know how to fix this?

Replies

• Kimsied
    Kimsied Posts: 232
    Options
    That is correct if you burn 1532 calories today since you did set a 750 calorie deficit. I know that is too low, if this is your typical calorie burn then your plan is too aggressive. MFP wlll not let you go below 1200, but it just doesn't allow the cut you ask for if you don't burn enough. Though one thing to clarify... There are actually two screens in fitbit that show your energy balance and they are actually showing very different things. So it depends which one you are lookign at:
    1--the guage (says goal zone at the top) is just showing calories burned so far vs food logged with your goal deficit applied. It tells you how many calories you need to burn or eat to be in perfect balance. If you are looking at this screen it is just telling you that you need to burn another 512 calories to be in your goal. My math says you need to burn 513 more actually, I am not sure why it says different. Depending on how many hours are left in the day, that might not be a problem.
    2--Another screen to "food plan" (It has a green plate and fork/spoon icon) shows an allowance based on what fitbit estimates you will burn in the entire 24 hours. The estimate it uses depends whether you are set for "sedentary" or "personalized". If sedentary, it assumes you are sedentary then would deduct 750 from that. Since my sedentary estimate is about 1400, I can't imagine a 750 deficit applied to that calorie burn. The "personalized" option is what I use. It averages your recent total daily calorie burns then subtracts the deficit from the average to set your allowance. Either way, it adjusts as you sync your data to fitibe--it can increase or decrease depending on your activity. It ends up being whatever you burned minus 750 calories. If your setting is on "sedentary", I'd suggest changing it to personalized. They end up the same either way, but I find it easier to plan around the personalized estimate. It takes a few days use before it gets a good average though.
  • tiggerlgh
    tiggerlgh Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I should have clarified its just the app that is messed up.

Normally my fitbit app estimates my total burn for the day and then takes the cut. Like right now with my cut I met my calorie goal when i look online it shows I can eat 1322 today with an estimated burn of 2072 (I have eaten 1294). But my app shows me over my goal by 303 (on my iPad), i have burned some calories since first posting.

I think its just the app that is all messed up as when I look at my phone it shows that i have 1762 calories left. I will just stop using the app until they fix it and just use the online version.
  • tegalicious
    Options
    The android app started getting wonky for me about mid day yesterday and is still off. The web version has everything correct though so as long as it is correct on the web version of both websites then the servers are talking to each other and you should be fine. Just use the web versions for a bit until they can get this bug fixed.... which you are already planning to but thought I would mention it anyway :)
  • Kimsied
    Kimsied Posts: 232
    Options
    I don't watch the app too closely even though I use it to sync. When I notice it, it seems a little weird lately. I haven't paid enough attention to get a sense of what it is doing, but it doesn't surprise me if something is off. It kind of seems a sync or two behind the dashboard which is weird considering the website is getting the fitibt device data through the app in my case.
  • Loyama
    Loyama Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just uninstalled and reinstalled my android MFP because mine started acting up on the 19th. This seems to have corrected the issues I was having.
  • LauriePerkins123
    Options
    did the reinstall solve your problem long term? i have been uninstalling and reinstalling daily for at least a week or two. solves the problem for about a day.
  • RoseB8
    RoseB8 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Is it the mfp app or the fitbit app that's not working? Mine has been wrong all weekend - it seems to be that when I add food onto mfp it adds the whole meal again in fitbit (both the app and online) effectively doubling what I have eaten :/
  • TracyV125
    TracyV125 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    RoseB8 wrote: »
    Is it the mfp app or the fitbit app that's not working? Mine has been wrong all weekend - it seems to be that when I add food onto mfp it adds the whole meal again in fitbit (both the app and online) effectively doubling what I have eaten :/

This has been happening to me for over a week. I wrote on the Fitbit help forum and after disconnecting and reconnecting my accounts as they suggested, I'm still having the same problem. They told me to report it to MFP.
  • DianeinCA
    DianeinCA Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I've been having a problem with the iOS app for a long time. The website will give me a reasonable number of calories left in the day, but the iOS app gives me a ridiculously large number. I don't know what's gone wrong over there.
  • unicorncat
    unicorncat Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi, sometimes my snacks were carried over to Fitbit twice..don't know why...just deleted the wrong one in Fitbit and it all re-set to correct values...IOS user..just love all the stats and data..
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I just got my weekly report and it said I was nearly 2500 over last week. Per MFP, I was 270 under. I know there's usually a difference due to different maintenance/TDEE estimations, but that's way off.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Several of you are commenting on different issues.

The main one being discussed is if you look on Fitbit Food log, you will clearly see your Lunch or Dinner is double logged. Either exactly, or each time you added new items to the meal, that complete batch was synced over to Fitbit.

This does NOT change anything on MFP's side if you only look to it for eating goal, because that doubling on Fitbit doesn't affect your daily calorie burn figure.

But if you look at Fitbit eating goal left for day, it will be much smaller than MFP - because it thinks you ate more.

Yet again goes back to don't follow two roads to the same destination.
    Fitbit for exercise and workout goals, like steps or VAM, ect, and daily activity burn.
    MFP for eating goal.

In that case, doubling of food eaten on Fitbit wouldn't matter a bit.