How do you keep your pace down when doing a easy run?

Options
I find it difficult to jog/run at a pace slower than 10:00. It feels as if jogging/running slower than that actually takes more physical effort than just going at a 10:00 pace. After reading many posts, it seems most slow/easy runs are done at around a 10:30-11:00 pace. I am kind of a newbie, at least as far as trying to go at this the smart/proven way.

Replies

• ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    My easy pace is between 9 and 9:40. I almost never run over a 10. My husbands easy pace is an 8. There are other guys on here who run a 7 easily. Your easy pace is whatever you can run comfortably and hold a conversation. Keep your heart rate low. Don't worry about what anyone else is doing, run what is comfortable for you.:flowerforyou:
  • aldousmom
    aldousmom Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    my warm up pace is 11. after that its 9:30ish, but if I'm supposed to be doing an "easy" run, according to my coach, she wants me between 10 and 11. So....if it's going to be a short distance, I run with slower runners. :) that way, they can entertain me and distract me from my slow running. ha ha. if it's to be a longer distance at that pace, I can usually make myself slow down. another trick when I have to check my pace a lot is to set my watch to track short laps (like .25 or something) b/c it vibrates ever lap. If I have to check frequently, then I can adjust more easily (whether I'm going faster or slower)
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    My easy pace is between 9 and 9:40. I almost never run over a 10. My husbands easy pace is an 8. There are other guys on here who run a 7 easily. Your easy pace is whatever you can run comfortably and hold a conversation. Keep your heart rate low. Don't worry about what anyone else is doing, run what is comfortable for you.:flowerforyou:

This. It's going to be different for different people as well as different days sometimes and also for different distances. 8:30 may be an easy pace for me for a 5 mile run while 10:00 is for a 15 mile run. When the humidity shoots up I may be at 9:00 for that 5 mile run. Just go by how you feel.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options

This. I used to worry a lot about trying to run slower, then I finally realized, that I have just gotten faster. I go out at whatever pace feels comfortable and maintainable to me. As Jen said, try and control your heart rate, not necessarily your pace. I agree that sometimes it feels like it takes more effort to run at a slower than normal pace, which, to me, is reason enough for not doing it.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    It's about form. Keep your cadence up and make sure that you are allowing your calves to load and you can as comfortably run alongside a three-year-old as keep up a 10k pace.
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I find it difficult to jog/run at a pace slower than 10:00. It feels as if jogging/running slower than that actually takes more physical effort than just going at a 10:00 pace. After reading many posts, it seems most slow/easy runs are done at around a 10:30-11:00 pace. I am kind of a newbie, at least as far as trying to go at this the smart/proven way.

It's probably something that comes with experience. I find it quite common for new runners to have difficulty picking a pace and sticking to it. One suggestion: If you find yourself running "too fast" on your long slow runs, then take a walk break. Say you are shooting for a 10:00 pace. If you finish a mile in 9 minutes, take a 1-minute walk break. If you find that to be sort of lame, that's more incentive to run at the proper pace.

It's also possible that your easy pace is a little faster. If you haven't already, enter a recent 5K time at mcmillanrunning.com, then click on "training paces." It will tell you what your easy run pace should be (as well as paces for many other types of workouts).
  • ColorfulWeirdo
    ColorfulWeirdo Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I find that on long easy runs, I tend to get bored and that makes me want to go faster. I don't mind looking like an insane person, so if I get worried about my pace I just try to softly sing the song playing on my iPod. If I feel or sound like I am even slightly out of breath, I slow down. It makes me sing better, so I am happy.
  • PrairieRunner2015
    PrairieRunner2015 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I appreciate the feedback. It seems like I should maintain my 10:00 pace and probably slow it down towards the end of the run to keep my hr down. It's the last mile or so of a run which my breathing gets a little labored and my hr starts to go up.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options

This is very true.

With that being said, I'll share my experience.

When I started working with my coach in May of 09, I was doing most of my "easy" runs at 8:30 to 8:45 pace. One of the first things he did was slow me down to closer to 9:30 pace. This was based on the information you find on McMillan's running calculator. This provides you with training paces based on your race times. At first, it was very difficult for me to slow my runs down to that pace. I would say it took a good 3 weeks of concerted effort to become comfortable running at that pace.

Fast forward to today. Since May of 09, I have increased my mileage significantly (well over a 1000+ MORE miles every year than prior to 09), dropped my 5K PR by over 2.5 minutes (22:00 to 19:18) and dropped my HM PR by 10 minutes (1:39ish to 1:27). Guess what my easy run training pace is now...9:30ish. :) It will actually fluctuate between 10:00 and 8:45 depending upon how I feel that particular day and that is completely dependent upon the previous day's workout and the current training load.

So, use McMillan's calculator to see where you should be for those easy runs and work at it until it's comfortable for you.

http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/mcmillanrunningcalculator.htm
  • beeblebrox82
    beeblebrox82 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I'm not seeing where it tells me anything useful on that link concerning easy runs... Or do I have to buy something...

Either way, insightful information here!
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I'm not seeing where it tells me anything useful on that link concerning easy runs... Or do I have to buy something...

It calculates your easy run pace for you, and predicts your best performance at any distance (assuming you've properly trained for the race). You enter a recent result at any distance, and it will first give you your projected race performances based on that result. If you click on "Training Paces" you will see recommended paces in training for easy runs, long runs, recovery runs, and all sorts of speed work.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options

It calculates your easy run pace for you, and predicts your best performance at any distance (assuming you've properly trained for the race). You enter a recent result at any distance, and it will first give you your projected race performances based on that result. If you click on "Training Paces" you will see recommended paces in training for easy runs, long runs, recovery runs, and all sorts of speed work.

Yeah, "Training Paces" link on the left after you enter and submit your race time.
  • beeblebrox82
    beeblebrox82 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    got it! Thanks guys.
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options

This is very true.

With that being said, I'll share my experience.

When I started working with my coach in May of 09, I was doing most of my "easy" runs at 8:30 to 8:45 pace. One of the first things he did was slow me down to closer to 9:30 pace. This was based on the information you find on McMillan's running calculator. This provides you with training paces based on your race times. At first, it was very difficult for me to slow my runs down to that pace. I would say it took a good 3 weeks of concerted effort to become comfortable running at that pace.

Fast forward to today. Since May of 09, I have increased my mileage significantly (well over a 1000+ MORE miles every year than prior to 09), dropped my 5K PR by over 2.5 minutes (22:00 to 19:18) and dropped my HM PR by 10 minutes (1:39ish to 1:27). Guess what my easy run training pace is now...9:30ish. :) It will actually fluctuate between 10:00 and 8:45 depending upon how I feel that particular day and that is completely dependent upon the previous day's workout and the current training load.

So, use McMillan's calculator to see where you should be for those easy runs and work at it until it's comfortable for you.

http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/mcmillanrunningcalculator.htm

Glad to confirm I've been training at the right paces :) Thanks!