New mummy - need help setting MFP goals :-)

Options
twinkfran
twinkfran Posts: 54 Member
Hello,

Hoping for some advice on how to set my goals

I am back to MFP after not using it during my pregnancy and have a lot of weight to lose - 24kg (around 50lbs).

I am exclusively breastfeeding so have set my calorie goal to 1700 - is this enough as of course while I want to drop the weight I also want to make sure the baby has everything he needs?

I have set exercise to 4* per week for 30 mins but right now I can only walk although once I get signed off by my doctor in a month I hope to start cardio - I used to do tabata works outs, running etc

Any feedback appreciated

Sarah x

Replies

• acarrillo2012
    acarrillo2012 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hello Sarah,

I am also newly back to MFP, I have a 7 month old. When did you have your baby? I have heard that in the first 3 months while you're still establishing your milk supply, you should have 2000 calories because otherwise it may lead to reduced milk supply. After that 1700-1800 would be okay. The main thing is not just the calorie goal, but that you have to be super careful with nutrition. The baby is like a parasite (a very cute parasite!) and if you're not eating everything it needs, your body will leach the nutrients out of your bones and blood to make milk. This is why breastfeeding mamas can easily get iron deficiency anemia and weaker bones from calcium deficiencies. So make sure you're still taking a prenatal vitamin, and also that everything you eat is meeting nutritional needs. One other thing is drink a lot of water - your baby at the beginning is drinking about 32 oz a day give or take, so you need that much extra water beyond what you'd have normally. I know someone who wound up in the hospital with dehydration.

Good luck! Feel free to add me if you want support on working toward goals!

Annabelle
  • twinkfran
    twinkfran Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hi Annabelle

He's only 2 weeks - which is why I can't really exercise apart from walking. Was a natural birth so hoping dr will sign me off to exercise after 6 weeks

I will (starting Monday) be using MFP to make sure I have a balanced diet- lots of fruit, veg and healthy stuff. Am still taking my vitamins and drinking lots of water. I'm not bothered about a timescale or losing weight fast as the baby's health comes first but would like to see the lbs gradually diminish. I have put my intake up to 2000, thanks for the tip!

Sarah
  • Bellebaby10
    Bellebaby10 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies,
    Annabelle-Thanks for the info! I've never gotten a good answer on how many calories I need from Docs or Lactation consultants-just eat until you're not hungry like that's helpful.
    Sarah-Do you wear your baby in a carrier whenever possible? I think it helped me lose weight with my first so I'm doing it again this time around.
    Congrats on the baby and natural birth!